Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from HNL from/to Waikiki - options & costs" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
2018 and Onward thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1942617-consolidated-getting-hnl-waikiki-thread-2018-onward.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:41 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

what is the approx cost of a cab from HNL airport to a Waikiki hotel?

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Depends on time of day (traffic can be bad), but I'd say about $30 plus tip.

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/airports/...ound_trans.htm

[edited for 11/13/04 update]

I took a cab at 4 a.m. from my mom's house (near Diamond Head) to HNL and with no traffic at all, and about 15 min driving time, the fare was $31 plus tip.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 14, 2004 at 1:41 am
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
what is the approx cost of a cab from HNL airport to a Waikiki hotel?

</font>
Might consider taking the Airport-Waikiki Express? $9 one-way from Airport to Hotel door. $13 roundtrip. Nice full busses operated by Roberts Hawaii.

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/airports/...ound_trans.htm

Cab's good too, but can be expensive...

Aloha
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:46 pm

Eh Slippahs, Brah!

I wen post da kine link first!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinHawaiian:
Eh Slippahs, Brah!

I wen post da kine link first!
</font>
Whoa brah but fo a different ting u wen post. lol
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Have done it for both $24 and $29 iirc
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:25 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
I had found out through FT about using the coupons found in the Oahu Visitors Magazines found at HNL (big selection in a central kiosk that you'll see when you deplane) for cab fares of about $12. I usually take Roberts Hawaii Shuttle service to Waikiki (I think about $8 one way) and then use the coupon for the return. I think the cab company I've used is called Sita.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sk3:
I had found out through FT about using the coupons found in the Oahu Visitors Magazines found at HNL (big selection in a central kiosk that you'll see when you deplane) for cab fares of about $12. I usually take Roberts Hawaii Shuttle service to Waikiki (I think about $8 one way) and then use the coupon for the return. I think the cab company I've used is called Sita.</font>
SIDA went out of business last month.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:56 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinHawaiian:
SIDA went out of business last month. </font>
Ah! Probably because they took you to the airport for less than half of what other cabs charged!

I'm heading back there over Labor Day weekend - do you know if those Oahu mini-mags still have coupons for other cab companies that I can save some bucks with?
Old Jun 6, 2003, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sk3:
Ah! Probably because they took you to the airport for less than half of what other cabs charged! </font>
Actually SIDA went out of business because they lost their contract with the state to run airport operations. The reason why SIDA charged so little compared to other cab companies was because of that contract which gave them monopoly-like operations of the airport....
When other cab companies complained about this, the state revoked SIDA's contract... and then SIDA went byebye.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We took a cab from HNL to Waikiki and I think we got ripped off. First of all, the guy added $4 in extras, which would be the highest I've ever seen for an airport pickup for 2 people. Second, when I got out of the cab and signed the credit card slip, the guy tipped himself a couple bucks more than I told him to run the card for. I didn't notice it until I got back to the hotel room. The total was $35 with the $4 charge and the tip and the "bonus" tip.

We took Reliable Shuttle back to the airport. $6/pp. Maybe a buck or two more for airport origination - not sure. MC/Visa/Amex accepted. Phone 808-924-9292. We were pleased: coming from the HHV, we were the last pickup on the way to the airport.

Like any shuttle, there is the risk that there will be stops between your pickup and your destination (going either way). On the phone, they can give you a good estimation of how many stops there will be for you.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 2:52 pm

Hey Slippahs -

Sounds like, if you wanted, you could make some $$$ doing airport runs for all of the FTers
Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hey Slippahs -

Sounds like, if you wanted, you could make some $$$ doing airport runs for all of the FTers
</font>
Yes, everyone pile into my Honda Accord... four people per trip, no open jaws or stopovers permitted.

Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just returned from Hawaii. This trip the metered cab fare from the United terminal at HNL to the Sheraton Moana in Waikiki (across the street from the International Marketplace) was $23 getting there, and $22 returning (before gratuities). Both trips were via the freeway rather than Nimitz Hwy with little or no traffic delays.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Both trips were via the freeway rather than Nimitz Hwy with little or no traffic delays.</font>
Yes, if you're taking a cab, make sure to instruct the cabbie to take the H-1 to Waikiki rather than Nimitz/Ala Moana Blvd, which is considered the "senic" route for tourists. There's nothing so senic about it except for Honolulu Harbor, Downtown... err... just take the freeway.

Unless of course, it's during rush hour. Now that's a different story... and a day-by-day case-by-case exception.

Aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.