Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: SPG: Plat; Amex: Plat.; Star Alliance: Gold, One World: Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd

My rough estimate is that on any given day in December, there will be a 50-50 chance on the east side of Hawai`i that it will rain most of the day. But that's why it's so green and lush, compared to the awesome but oh-so-different moonscape that some of the Kona-side built on the lava flows can be.
Is that same in Kauai and Maui also?
We are looking for dry, sunny, warm days.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Rane
Is that same in Kauai and Maui also?
We are looking for dry, sunny, warm days.
Generally speaking, the western sides of the Islands are drier than the eastern sides. On Maui, the Wailea/Makena area is (usually) dry. On Kauai, the Poipu area is (usually) dry.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hawai'i is the name of the 'big island' - the name 'big island' is not it's official designation

I agree with the other posts - during busy holiday periods, avoid the typical destination islands like O'ahu and Maui and try something slightly different like Kaua'i and Lana'i - although the latter has fewer accommodation options, and thus could be quite pricey around the holiday time frame.

Personally, I like the big island - lots to see and do, spread out to avoid clutches of crowds and busy traffic, and offers a number of diverse micro-climates. On a full week trip (arrive Sat am, depart following Sat or Sun pm), I'd do a few days on Kaua'i and a few days on the BI.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Hawai'i is the name of the 'big island' - the name 'big island' is not it's official designation
The op and others might enjoy some of the thoughts on this thread; lavarock7 (who owns a coffee farm in Captain Cook on the Big Island) has a particularly fun post
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can't speak much about Maui, but I can tell you that Kauai, even Poipu, is cooler than Oahu during the winter.

Now cooler is relative... it might be in the mid-80s in Waikiki and the 70s in Poipu. It's also more likely to be raining in Kauai in the winter than on Oahu, though when it starts raining in Oahu... it RAINS. Like for a week

I've been to Oahu numerous times in the winter, and Kauai 3 times in the winter, and when switching between those islands I found the temperature difference noticable.

Again, not bad. It was just noticable.

If you're looking for warm, dry & sunny in the winter months, you're best bet might be staying at the Ihilani on Oahu's west cost.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:37 pm

Hey all!
Getting married next April 09.

We are trying to figure out where we should stay in Hawaii for our honeymoon...neither of us have been. We should have over 300k Hilton points by then, so Honolulu would get us further in that respect. However, I was talking with friends who said it was basically a big city on the water and that it's not as fun. We def. want something romantic.

Should we split it up btw honolulu and maui? Or Maui and Kauai? Any recs are appreciated.

Oh, and our budget is not set yet...we are basically trying to get as much free air/hotel thru credit card spending (we have a business) and then we'll pay for the rest out of pocket.

Last edited by lovefletch; Jul 5, 2008 at 7:47 pm Reason: new info added
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by lovefletch
Hey all!
Getting married next April 09.

We are trying to figure out where we should stay in Hawaii for our honeymoon...neither of us have been. We should have over 300k Hilton points by then, so Honolulu would get us further in that respect. However, I was talking with friends who said it was basically a big city on the water and that it's not as fun. We def. want something romantic.

Should we split it up btw honolulu and maui? Or Maui and Kauai? Any recs are appreciated.

Oh, and our budget is not set yet...we are basically trying to get as much free air/hotel thru credit card spending (we have a business) and then we'll pay for the rest out of pocket.

I am in the same boat as you but am going to go on my honeymoon in October of this year. Basically, I want to list my plans and see if any in the know on this forum might provide any assistance. We will have two weeks in HI so I have planned the following so far. We will be staying for five days on Kauai and then we were going to go to Kona coast for the next six days of our vacation. However, I have heard that it rains on the big island and so were advised against going to the Big Island and instead to opt for going to Maui. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, for the OP to whose thread I replied. I really would not spend your time and money in Honolulu - just a big city with lots of shops and highrises. Same thing you would get, for instance, in Miami or a similar place. So I really would spend a day or two there but no more - move to the other islands.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
I am in the same boat as you but am going to go on my honeymoon in October of this year. Basically, I want to list my plans and see if any in the know on this forum might provide any assistance. We will have two weeks in HI so I have planned the following so far. We will be staying for five days on Kauai and then we were going to go to Kona coast for the next six days of our vacation. However, I have heard that it rains on the big island and so were advised against going to the Big Island and instead to opt for going to Maui. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, for the OP to whose thread I replied. I really would not spend your time and money in Honolulu - just a big city with lots of shops and highrises. Same thing you would get, for instance, in Miami or a similar place. So I really would spend a day or two there but no more - move to the other islands.
Yeah, I talked to some friends this weekend who also advised against Hono for more than a couple days.
I think our plan now is:
Fly to Kauai, stay 5-7 days
Fly to Maui- stay in condo for 7 days, 5 days at Grand Wailea- I really would love to stay here...I'm hoping we can go for a little over 2 weeks.
My friends who stayed in Maui have been several times and they recommend a condo. Their's was nice, right on the beach.

So, all in all, I have figured out thus far: Kauai is very relaxing, pretty much just spend days on the beach, surf, etc. Maui has more options with a lot of activities, day cruises, etc...
Good luck with planning...be sure to post a trip report!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:56 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

The Big Island has to be distinguished between the east and west sides. The east side (Hilo, Volcanoes Park) gets lots of rain (that's why it's so pretty and lush, and even if you're staying Kona-side it needs to be visited both to see it and to experience "old Hawaii" that's harder to do Kona-side). But the west side/Kona-side gets little rain. That's why all the resorts are there
Old Jul 17, 2008, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
We've been to the 4 major Islands and like them all. Our favorite for "things to do" is probably Maui.
1.Haleakala Volcano
2.Road to Hana
3.Great golf
4.Molokini for snorkeling
5.Great restaurants
6.Lots of shopping

We like the Big Island for the diversity of landscape. Tough to pick just one but if I had to pick one for a 2 day trip I'd pick Maui. ENJOY.

Phil
Phil nailed it - I would do exactly the same things (except may be shopping). ^
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I offered the same advice to a fellow Flyertalker. He didn't listen to me, but after several days on Kauai, he did cancel the Maui portion of the trip and extend his Kauai visit!
Can you talk to my wife. I'm flying in and out to LIH on an 8 night vacation. We were in Kauai 5 years ago for 4 days and 3 nights. She wants to go back to Maui.

We'll end up staying 2 full days and 3 nights in Kauai. And 4 full days and 5 nights on Maui.

Interisland travel on Island Air 10,000 mile RT award tix per person
Sheraton Hotels on points on both islands.

ILuvParis, any words of wisdom for me? Truth be told, I'd rather do the trip in reverse, with 5 nights on Kauai. When my wife figured out she'd have just 2 full days in Maui
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Can you talk to my wife. I'm flying in and out to LIH on an 8 night vacation. We were in Kauai 5 years ago for 4 days and 3 nights. She wants to go back to Maui.

We'll end up staying 2 full days and 3 nights in Kauai. And 4 full days and 5 nights on Maui.

Sheraton Hotels on points on both islands.

ILuvParis, any words of wisdom for me? Truth be told, I'd rather do the trip in reverse, with 5 nights on Kauai. When my wife figured out she'd have just 2 full days in Maui
I haven't spent enough time on Maui to be able to argue one way or the other. Maybe you need a "Brooklyn Reality" meeting with Mary and your wife to see if she can make any headway!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Dan, using UA miles, it's still only 5K miles r/t per person on WP.

Best FF award out there, particularly now that interisland fares are back where carriers aren't going bankrupt by lowballing each other.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
What I have Found

1st, if someone offers you suggestions about Hawaii, and that person does not LIVE in Hawaii, take their information with a grain of sand (or salt).

Many people mean well, but are confused. You can tell because they come here and say "back in the states...".

I suggest people try to book their flights here using a stopover or an open jaw. Since you are travelers here, I'll let you do the investigation of the above.

Kauai needs about 4 days, Oahu probably 2, Maui a couple of days, but the Big Island needs at least a week. Here is why.

I do an island orientation each week for Kona visitors and talk about 3 day trips. The first goes along the west coast to Havi and then doubles back down into Waimea. Then down the upper road into Kona again. That is a 1/2 to 3/4 day trip. If you stop at Hapuna Beach or the resorts, you need 3/4 to a full day.

Then there is the Southern drive. It goes from Kona to Kealakekua Bay to the Place of Refuge to the black sand beach and ends at the volcano (the active one). After a few hours, you return to Kona, winding out the full day.

Then a third trip takes you from Kona, up the coast and over through Waimea to the east side. I have them stop at Akaka/Kahuna Falls, then into Hilo for lunch. Perhaps they spend hours in the town, or run down into Puna to see the current lava flow outside the park. Then it is back up through Hilo to Kona. That is a full day trip too!

So about 3 days of driving and you just touched the surface of the Big Island. You have not yet been on a beach, shopping or snorkling. I often have gustes who spend a week and barely get anything done and they are active the whole time.

With the current lava flows I can't think of a reason to not come to the Big Island :-)
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Which island for me?

My wife will be finishing a long and stressful medical treatment in December and her lifelong dream is to visit Hawaii. Neither of us are beach/surf people but love greenery and nature.
My questions are:
a) Which island is best suited?
b) Which is convenient to travel from US (Columbus, Ohio)?
c) We can't afford business class but which airline has reasonably comfortable for the long flight?
d) She gets awefully tired- are driving distances too far and stressful for the big island?
Thanks-Any insight would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.