Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 1 million
That is another question I had. When flying, the only direct flight is to HNL. Should we just stay in Oahu as HNL is there for 3 days and then head to Maui? That would essentially mean a one way trip into HNL. Then a connector to Maui three days later and another one way trip from Maui to the NYC area.

Or we can book a one way to Maui with one stop, which can be at LAX/PHX/HNL depending on the airline used?
If you promise to someday return to see the Big Island, spending your first few few days on Oahu makes sense. But, realize Oahu/Waikiki is congested. But, there is rich history around here.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:03 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...@747FC - those places you mention - are they all in Maui? ...Getting some more concrete details - so we will be in Maui for about 10 nights and have approx 3 nights prior where we are free and can do another island. Does it make sense to fly into another island, spend three nights there, and then head to Maui?
Just a tip: locals don't say "in" Maui; you are "on" Maui. You'll be "in" a particular town/area, but you are "on" the island itself.

An older thread that might be of some use:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...nsolidated+day

As to your final question, I would say, yes, particularly if you truly want to experience some local culture and not just resort-and-touristy culture. To that end, I would recommend either the Big Island (and particularly the east side) or Moloka`i.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:09 pm

If you have not been there before and are not coming back soon, while on Oahu, the Arizona Memorial is a must. And sure, places like Waikiki can get crowded, but that is part of the charm. Run through all the related Hawaii Flyertalk threads and you will be all set for an enjoyable time whether low, medium or high budget.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:23 pm

So we did some research and will be doing Kauai first for 3-4 nights and then heading to Maui. ANy suggestions on what are some must do activities at either?

In Maui - we will be at RC

In Kauai - we are still deciding and seeing if we can get some kind of a good price for St. Regis.

We like to eat so good, local food would be awesome! Also, should we rent a car on both islands?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
So we did some research and will be doing Kauai first for 3-4 nights and then heading to Maui. ANy suggestions on what are some must do activities at either?

In Kauai - we are still deciding and seeing if we can get some kind of a good price for St. Regis.

We like to eat so good, local food would be awesome! Also, should we rent a car on both islands?
You should definitely rent a car on Kauai, as there is so much to see on the island. It's the only practical way to get around.

On Maui, it's a question of whether you want to spend all your time at the Ritz (and its restaurants) or not... there are things to see on Maui, so I'd recommend renting a car.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Kauai - must rent a car. The must dos IMHO are Napali Coast cruise (Capt. Andy's) and Waimea Canyon. If you want to do adventure things, hikes and/or beaches, there are plenty of recommendations that can be made too.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:36 am

Great. We will def do a car.

Trying to find a place in Kauai to stay - would love the St Regis, but kind of expensive!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.