Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
I think either of your two new scenarios is better than trying to squeeze three islands into eight days. Personally I thought the GW was vastly better than the Hilton Waikoloa but I do love the Big Island. If you choose option 1 (six nights at GW) what would you do for the other two nights? Can you find a way to get another 15K HH points? If so you could stretch it to eight nights with the 5th night free on point stays.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by onthego15
If I were going to Hawaii for only 8 days, I would go to just one island. Hawaii is a place to be savored and enjoyed slowly and deeply. Hopping around and trying to see it all is a waste of time and definitely counter to the true experience of Hawaii. My shortest Hawaii trip was 2 1/2 weeks.
I would only do one island as well

Keep in mind even though inter island is short hops, a lot of time is going to be spent getting in and out airports and into rental vehicles.

Sort of the same concept as moving house down the street. Just because it's just down the street, it still takes time to load and unload.

Less time transitioning means more time to explore. There is so much to discover, time is needed.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
First time in Hawaii

Hi all,

I and my wife would like to go to Hawaii. We are thinking, as period, September next year.
Is it a good period to go? How is the sea? Cold or warm?
We have already been to Maldives and Caribbean (cruise).

Are 8-10 days enough? We would like relax and also make tours?
Which island is better?

Are resort with Full Inclusive option available?

Thanks
Marco
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
That is a pretty good time to go, it's not high season for tourism, so less crowded.
8-10 days, you could visit two islands. If you have never been there before, spend some time on Oahu and visit Pearl Harbor and Waikiki. I'd recommend you stay at a hotel in Waikiki. You can rent a car just for day trips from Waikiki locations, or rent for the whole time if you wish.

I'd recommend you visit Maui or the Big Island (Hawaii) as your other island. You'll want to rent a car for the whole visit on either of these islands. I'd probably advise you to visit Maui.

I'm sure you can find an all inclusive, but you'll likely enjoy finding restaurants on your own more.

The water is warm and enjoyable to swim in.

Aloha!

Doc
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:37 pm

So I already know what the response is going to be, however due to circumstances out of my control I have already booked my flight tickets.
I'll be doing the 3 islands in 8 days trip..
Will be leaving in February
Day 1 we get in at 9pm. Will be picking up a rental car and making a quick stop at Wal mart for some essentials
Day 2 and 3 will be full days in Oahu. Day 2 will be waking up real early to go snorkelling in Hanauma bay. maybe around 7am. Will probably spend 4-5 hours there. From there we plan to grab lunch and drive up to the North Shore.
Day 3 will be waking up real early again to hike up Diamond head. come back, grab a quick lunch, and take surfing lessons at waikiki beach. After surfing we are open for ideas to spend the rest of the day
Day 4 we have an 8am flight to Hilo. Arriving at Hilo , pick up rental car and we'll make a quick stop at the store and spend the rest of the day at VNP. Will be staying until dark to hopefully see some glowing. Will stay overnight in Hilo.
Day 5 waking up real early to make the drive to Kona. Will possibly stop by Akaka falls on the way. Planning to arrive in Kona right before lunch. Any ideas on what to do in Kona? Thinking about spending the afternoon snorkelling and possibly doing a manta ray tour later in the evening. Staying overnight in Kona.
Day 6- waking up early and catch 9am flight to Maui. Pick up rental car and look for a whale watching tour. Can these be booked the same day or need to book in advanced? not sure what else to do for the rest of the day. Will be staying near the airport.
Day 7 - Wake up real early and do the drive to Hana. Planning to leave around 6-7am. Will likely make a few stops on the way, then head back later in the evening. At what time should we target to reach Hana and be on the way back to safely drive? Just want to allocate the time correctly between starting point and Hana.
Day 8 - wake up real real early to head to Haleakala to see the sunrise. on way back will check out of hotel and rest for the rest of the day. We have an 1130pm flight back home, so we have some time to suck in the last moments before heading home.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Tix Booked...Oahu or another Island?

Pretty excited I scored 4 RT tix for my family of four from MSP to HNL (1 stop) for about $580 ai, which included some upgrades to Economy Plus and travel insurance (base fare was about $495 per).

At any rate, our trip will be 7 days/6 nts in March 2015. Not long enough IMO but my wife's work schedule dictates. We are a family of four with two kids ages 5 and 2. Wondering if we should just park ourselves in Oahu for the duration of the trip OR if we should jump on a HA interisland flight to another island?
My wife and I have done Waikiki/Honolulu before and have seem the major attractions BUT have not seen much outside the metro. We have done Kauai so that is out. Maui is of interest as well as the BI. However it will already be a mighty long day on travel-in day and would get even longer with an island hop.

What say you? Doable or advisable to hop OR stay put?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Entering via OGG, leaving via HNL - 14 days to enjoy

Hi all

Thanks to the frankly fantastic biz P fares from *Alliance ex CPH, my wife, kid (she'll be 9 then) and myself will be spending 2 weeks in Hawaii after 7 days westcoast in july '15. We'll be arriving in OGG and leaving from HNL.

I'm thinking of splitting the 2 weeks into a week on Maui and a week on Oahu, but perhaps there are better ideas. We don't want to be running around everyday, but I don't expect to land back in Hawaii anytime soon so we definitely want to make the most of it. We fancy a beach, but it shouldn't be a full-on beach holiday, and we don't want to go trekking everyday. Anyway, you get the point..

Also, naturally I'm a big fan of points&miles (I wouldn't be on this forum if it where otherwise!) so any SPG/HH earning are always welcome. BUT I don't want it to interfere with the experience, I'm seeing some fantastic airbn&b places that are cheaper as well and I think I may prefer that over an obvious hotel property where I'll be sharing breakfast with people in bermudas and white socks. Again..you get the point.

ANY suggestion is more then welcome - I remember at the time I asked tips on this forum on my first trip to LA and got some brilliant ideas from that as well.

Cheers in advance! ^
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Not really sure what suggestions to which you aspire, but here are a few:

1. Splitting the time between HNL and OGG is a good idea. But, it depends on what you would like to do. HNL is a big city, but the island of Oahu is varied, and there are many cultural and historical sites. On Oahu,you could stay in Waikiki if you desire a vibrant/busy lifestyle, or you could go to the Turtle Bay Resort or Ihilani (may be closed for renovation) for a more rural experience. A great choice for near-Waikiki and attractions, yet in a more peaceful environment is the Kahala Hotel.

2. You might want to go to the Big Island/Kona side. There are many, many fascinating geological and geographical aspects. The beach at Hapuna and Mauna Kea Beach resort is the best in the islands.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:35 pm

Thanks 747FC

I've started reading a bit about the Big Island and indeed it looks like we should spend a few days there. Think we'll insert that into our itinerary as well, 14 days to spend in total.
How would you divide those days between the 3 (Maui, Big Island & Oahu?)
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Thanks 747FC

I've started reading a bit about the Big Island and indeed it looks like we should spend a few days there. Think we'll insert that into our itinerary as well, 14 days to spend in total.
How would you divide those days between the 3 (Maui, Big Island & Oahu?)
Depends on your interests. You can take your full days in Hawaii and divide by three.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:55 am

Does this sound like a more or less workable itinerary?

The first leg I'm considering 1 evening and 3 full days in Maui, staying up north or west. I'll probably drive to the south side from early morning one day and include Pua'a Ka'a State Park for a dip in the pool by the falls, then drive on to Hana for lunch and Red Sand Beach and then get on to Haleakala for the evening. The other 2 days, we can relax and not move about too much (perhaps go to Waihee Ridge Trail and Nakalele Blowhole).

Then I'd move on to Big Island for 3 days. (landing early morning in Hilo and add 2 full days). Lots of things to see so probably 2 days full driving: Waipio Valley Lookout, Mauna Kea Observatory, Akaka Falls, Onomea Scenic Drive, Chain of Craters Rd, Thurston Lava Tube, Kilauea, Black Sand Beach and Green Sand Beach. I'm not sure what is worthwhile on the Kona side? If I find something there, I could consider to hop from there to Kauai instead of flying out of Hilo.

Kauai I want to spend at least 3 full days, if not 4. Bucketlist contains Waimea Canyon, Pu'u Kila Lookout, Kalalau Lookout, Kilauea Lighthouse, Opaekaa Falls, Wailua Falls and Spouting Horn.

The last 3-4 days then we're off to Oahu. I think we'll stay on the north shore so we can more or less pick & chose what to do with a beach nearby. It seems the drive south to Honolulu is about one hour so that's manageable. in the north I'm looking at Waimea Beach, Waimea Falls and Banzai Pipeline. In the south I'd like to see Pearl Harbor, the National Pacific Cemetery, Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u Point and Nu'uanu Pali Lookout.

Thanks for any input / advice.

How would I best go about regarding car rentals? I've read somewhere that some companies offer multi-island rates, but I can't seem to find anything.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:26 am

The first leg I'm considering 1 evening and 3 full days in Maui, staying up north or west. I'll probably drive to the south side from early morning one day and include Pua'a Ka'a State Park for a dip in the pool by the falls, then drive on to Hana for lunch and Red Sand Beach and then get on to Haleakala for the evening. The other 2 days, we can relax and not move about too much (perhaps go to Waihee Ridge Trail and Nakalele Blowhole).

Then I'd move on to Big Island for 3 days. (landing early morning in Hilo and add 2 full days). Lots of things to see so probably 2 days full driving: Waipio Valley Lookout, Mauna Kea Observatory, Akaka Falls, Onomea Scenic Drive, Chain of Craters Rd, Thurston Lava Tube, Kilauea, Black Sand Beach and Green Sand Beach. I'm not sure what is worthwhile on the Kona side? If I find something there, I could consider to hop from there to Kauai instead of flying out of Hilo.

Kauai I want to spend at least 3 full days, if not 4. Bucketlist contains Waimea Canyon, Pu'u Kila Lookout, Kalalau Lookout, Kilauea Lighthouse, Opaekaa Falls, Wailua Falls and Spouting Horn.

The last 3-4 days then we're off to Oahu. I think we'll stay on the north shore so we can more or less pick & chose what to do with a beach nearby. It seems the drive south to Honolulu is about one hour so that's manageable. in the north I'm looking at Waimea Beach, Waimea Falls and Banzai Pipeline. In the south I'd like to see Pearl Harbor, the National Pacific Cemetery, Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u Point and Nu'uanu Pali Lookout.

How would I best go about regarding car rentals? I've read somewhere that some companies offer multi-island rates, but I can't seem to find anything.
If I remember correctly your first leg is going to be a lot of driving.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:07 am

A very ambitious and energetic plan. Remember, in Hawaii, you cannot do "That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten." You might want to build in some "chill time."

While the North Shore of Oahu is nice, it looks like you will be getting a lot of the rural experience on the neighbor islands. For the cultural/historic activities, it might be easier to stay on the South Shore.

Regarding your rental car, be sure that you do not keep valuables in it when unattended. Unfortunately, we have some predators on the islands that consider tourist belongings as fair game. They watch for tourists who leaving their cars, putting stuff in their trunks before they wander off.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:01 am

Where in Hawaii in November?

Hi,

Planning to go to Hawaii in November. Is it a good month to go? (= nice and warm weather, no cold nights). I'd appreciate your input for the best areas to go to as we don't want to get stuck in rain and cold weather.

Thank you very much!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta
I recommend starting at a site like this.

http://www.gohawaii.com/en/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.