Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Security, wait times, questions/answers, etc. @ Hawaii airports" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Security, wait times, questions/answers, etc. @ Hawaii airports" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:23 pm

Depends on day of the week to some degree. Tuesday through Thursday have shorter lines. There's also a premium line (if that shoe fits).
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by REBushnell
We'll be staying near Waimanalo Beach next July. As part of the trip, we're taking a flight to the Big Island. For a mid morning flight, how long should we plan to be in a security line?
Depends on what airline you're flying. AQ and HA fly from the main terminal. You will goa through the same security lines as passengers flying to the mainland, Asia, and Australia. Mid-morning usually isn't as bad as late afternoon.

Go! airlines flies out of the commuter terminal. Security there has been a snap the last few times I flew there, nobody in line ahead of me.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by gemac
AQ and HA fly from the main terminal. You will go through the same security lines as passengers flying to the mainland, Asia, and Australia.
Negative.

AQ & HA are stationed in their own Inter-Island terminal. Pax departing on other airlines for the mainland, Asia, and Australia check in and go through security at the Overseas terminal.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jtkauai
. There's also a premium line (if that shoe fits).
Really? I don't recall seeing that when we flew F on HA. Which checkpoint? Are there 2 or 3 checkpoints in the i/i terminal?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Really? I don't recall seeing that when we flew F on HA. Which checkpoint? Are there 2 or 3 checkpoints in the i/i terminal?

After check-in and towards the terminal center is the security line for HA, and just next to it on the right side, is the premium line.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jtkauai
After check-in and towards the terminal center is the security line for HA, and just next to it on the right side, is the premium line.
Ahh, guess me and the Mrs. are knuckleheads.. Last time we flew HA in F, they opened a checkpoint to the right of HA counters just as we finished up getting our bags checked in, no premium line there. Will make sure to take advantage of this next time.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:30 pm

OGG maui elite security line

Is the an elite/1st class security line at OGG? (flying United)
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by gomike
Is the an elite/1st class security line at OGG? (flying United)
Negative.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:55 pm

What kind of wait time can I expect at 1pm on Thursday?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by gomike
What kind of wait time can I expect at 1pm on Thursday?
5 minutes max. Practically none. Should be no line at all. Great time to depart OGG, in my experience! You should breeze right through. Mid-day, mid-week, OGG can be very quiet.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
There is almost no line at the security checkpoint at OGG. However, you should budget extra time for checking your bags, as you have to through agricultural inspection first, then TSA inspection, and then the checkin counter (not necessarily in that order). Even flying in F it took more time that it should have.

Thankfully you are on UA. The line at the ATA counter at 1pm isn't something I would wish on anyone (except perhaps Kip Hawley)

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 25, 2011 at 10:06 am
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
We've never waited to clear security at OGG. Ag. line - maybe 5 min.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Going through OGG can be slow, but as noted above, the security line isn't the bottleneck. The checkin lines can be long and slow -- even the elite lines. If you're checking bags, you've got two ag inspections.

Give yourself an extra 20 minutes or so beyond what you'd normally do.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
HNL Security Changes at Checkpoint 5 [Serving UA/NW/CO/AA beg 9/11/08]

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11071/-1/RSS01

Looks like they're bringing the pax screening expertise system used at some mainland airports to checkpoint 5 at HNL...

• Expert. Black Diamond sign. Frequent travelers who know federal guidelines, travel light and quickly remove items for inspection, such as laptops and liquids in small containers in a quart-sized zip-top bag.

• Casual. Blue Square sign. Travelers who are somewhat familiar with federal procedures but have multiple pieces of carry-on luggage.

• Family/Special Assistance. Green Circle sign. Families with small children, elderly passengers, groups of people, unfamiliar with travel procedures that have developed in recent years, and generally anyone needing assistance or extra time to navigate security.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Nifty. Now I just have to think of a reason to go landside at HNL...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.