Consolidated "Renting cars on the Big Island" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting cars on the Big Island" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can certainly drive your rental car to the summit of Mauna Kea - although it's "technically" off-limits due to much of the road being unpaved, the summit parking area is 95% rental cars, 2.5% scientist cars and 2.5% tour vans. I've driven up countless times - and although I stick to the rules and only use a 4x4, you'll see everything from Mustang convertibles to Nissan Sentras up there.

You will need a 4WD vehicle, but any 4x4 (most of the companies have Jeep Liberty, Cherokee or similar) can do it - you will need to be in 4WD LO on the way down from the summit, *do not* ride the brakes and make sure you leave at least 90 minutes for acclimation at the visitor center before heading up, and 90 minutes before sunset to drive up, park and get where you want to be for sunset.

Caveat - if your car breaks down up there, don't bother calling the rental car company - they will answer "too bad" and you'll be looking at a towing and repair charge much higher than if you tow the car back to Kona yourself...and you can avoid mentioning where the car broke down that way

You cannot and should not take a non-Harper's vehicle, 4x4 or otherwise on other unpaved roads, ie the Green Sand Beach 4x4 trail.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Suggestion

Rent the Harper's SUV only for the day you are planning to go up to the Summit. You do not need it for the entire stay. If you prefer an SUV.....then rent one from one of the majors ( Half the price)...and just slip the Harper's in for one day ( Might have to double book)
Personally , I would take the "guided tour" up to the Summit....everything provided...pick-up, drop-off, snacks, warm clothing, professional driver etc. Well worth it.
http://www.maunakea.com/details.htm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

"I would take the "guided tour" up to the Summit....Well worth it."

If only two are going, that's $400. A family of 4 would be $800.
A 24 hour rental would be well worth the savings.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The best deals are currently through Costco. Discount Hawaii/Aloha Rents isn't coming close right now. And check daily. The rates have been dropping precipitously, with taxes and fees even being more than the base rates. I have a two week rental coming up for Kauai in Sept. and the rate has dropped twice, for a total of $50, in the past few days.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The best deals are currently through Costco. Discount Hawaii/Aloha Rents isn't coming close right now. And check daily. The rates have been dropping precipitously, with taxes and fees even being more than the base rates. I have a two week rental coming up for Kauai in Sept. and the rate has dropped twice, for a total of $50, in the past few days.
+1
We originally booked a car on Dollar and lucked out on what we thought was a very good rate. The terms did list that Saddle Road was ok but not to the summit.
However, we just found a better rate on Costco where as mentioned, the base taxes & fees end up being more expensive than the rental itself. Crazy!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I went to book with Costco, but it looks like Costco travel is US issued cards only, and wouldn't accept my UK card.

I shopped around with Aloharents and they were a bit more expensive, but in the end Hertz came in pretty much the same as Costco with a promotion this weekend.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Non USA Address

=jon=,
As a Canadian without a USA address....but a "Costco" member......what we do and have done dozens of times..is..
Visit the Costco.com /Travel / rental car section website.
Jot down the discount codes for a "costco discount"
i.e Budget "W 852802"(or whatever company you prefer)
Then visit the budget.com, hertz.com...etc.. website and plug in the "costco discount" codes. They will provide you with the Costco discount and a confirmation #. No pre-pay, courtesy hold
Pick-up car, additional driver included , free one way drop off with Alamo bookings if required.
The new website for Costco rental cars (6 months old) for some reason was set up to accept only US addresses.
Costco is an International company as we know....with benefits available to all it's members worldwide at all of their warehouses .
The booking process varies slightly ,but the discounts are still available to you.
Safe Travels
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:18 pm

Great - thanks for that - I'll check out the prices and see if it makes any difference
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Can you give exact details of your Sept. rental so I can compare to ThankYou points? Thanks!

Costco is still VERY high for HI in Jan/Feb.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Can you give exact details of your Sept. rental so I can compare to ThankYou points? Thanks!

Costco is still VERY high for HI in Jan/Feb.
Yes, I just looked at Feb. too - very high. However, my September trip was that high a few months ago too.

I'd recommend making the best cancelable reservation you can, then keep checking with Costco, Priceline and/or Discount Hawaii. I have done all three at different times, and go with the best deal. Here are the details, Sep. 2-15:

Base Rate $106.12
Taxes and Fees $122.19
Total $228.31
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Yes, I just looked at Feb. too - very high. However, my September trip was that high a few months ago too.

I'd recommend making the best cancelable reservation you can, then keep checking with Costco, Priceline and/or Discount Hawaii. I have done all three at different times, and go with the best deal. Here are the details, Sep. 2-15:

Base Rate $106.12
Taxes and Fees $122.19
Total $228.31
Good price. I hope you are enjoying yourself on the Garden Isle. ThankYou points came in at $299, AI, for 9/6>9/19. Aloha. We'll be there for a week at The Shearwater in Jan.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Good price. I hope you are enjoying yourself on the Garden Isle. ThankYou points came in at $299, AI, for 9/6>9/19. Aloha. We'll be there for a week at The Shearwater in Jan.
Funny story. The Kauai Marathon was Sunday and of course Labor Day was yesterday, so they had a shortage of cars. I reserved a compact and ended up with a Lincoln Town Car.

I drive a Mini at home so, after two days, I returned the humongous boat and got an Altima..
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Discount Rentals

You can also get discount codes at discounthawaiicarrental.com.

I have gotten good deals there.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Lavarock7
You can also get discount codes at discounthawaiicarrental.com.

I have gotten good deals there.
+1 I rent from them every year. No problems.

Also I'm with the others about going to the Summit, I was there in the snow, it was great, recommend guided tour. I would never trust myself to drive up and down Mauna Kea
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:14 pm

Didn't realize Avis and Budget were part of the same family. We booked Avis through Costco. Arrived past standard 1030pm closing time but still able to jump on a Budget/Avis shuttle. Was brought to Budget counter as Avis was closed and completed our rental there. We're supposed to drop car off at the Avis counter when we return though. Just and FYI for anyone renting in a similar situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.