Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Island: Consolidated "Ka`u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka`a restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Big Island: Consolidated "Ka`u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka`a restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Post your reviews, recommendations, and questions concerning Big Island Restaurants in the Ka'u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka'a areas

Last edited by cblaisd; May 29, 2007 at 1:43 am
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Big Island Restaurant Smoking Ban -- Feb 1st

About time...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">HILO, Hawai'i — A smoking ban that will outlaw lighting up at many Big Island restaurants and other establishments takes effect Feb. 1.

The legislation passed in July by the Hawai'i County Council is actually a watered down version of a smoking ban that would have been the most restrictive in the state.

The original version of the measure would have banned smoking in nearly all public places, though the bill approved on final reading includes exemptions for bars and nightclubs.

Still, the ban will affect all sorts of places from hotels and banks to elevators and bathrooms — if they aren't already designated nonsmoking.

The most notable change will be at restaurants, which must convert to nonsmoking establishments Feb. 1, unless they contain bar areas, where smoking will be permitted for the next six months. </font>
I'm not a smoker myself, but with all the advertising Hawai'i's been putting into anti-smoking advertisments, this action is welcomed.

aloha
Old May 17, 2005, 1:23 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Unhappy Restaurant Kaikodo in Hilo closing for renovations.... [Update: now pau for good :( ]

Called Restaurant Kaikodo in Hilo today to make reservations for 18th birthday dinner for our daughter. Got a phone message that the restaurant was closing as of today for "renovations." No date when the restaurant will re-open. Message also said that if you are holding a gift certificate (we are) to leave a message for accounting and they will refund your money.

This doesn't sound good.

There are a number of restaurants in Hilo with great food. There are very few with any ambiance. Restaurant Kaikodo had both.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:03 am

Hmmm. My S.O. was there last year and raved about it. So we went there a few weeks ago and it was dreadful. We were shocked.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:45 am
Original Poster

I wonder what changed? The three times I've been there have been fantastic.
Old May 17, 2005, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Talked today to the Kaikodo folks. They say they are indeed re-opening "in a month or so."
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Restaurant Kaikodo Closed

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:24 AM HST

Owner Says Downtown Eatery Will Reopen After Renovation, Revamping

by Hunter Bishop
Tribune-Herald Staff Writer
The Restaurant Business Has Been A Real Eye-Opener For Howard And Mary Ann Rogers.

The Successful Art Historians Opened Restaurant Kaikodo At 60 Keawe St., In March 2003, With Ambitious Plans To Blend Their World-Renowned Expertise In Fine Arts With A Quality Of Cuisine To Match. But With A Successful 30-Year Career In Fine Art As Background, This Was The Couple's First Restaurant, And Mary Ann Acknowledged A Certain Amount Of Naivete.....

Rest of article here:
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local01.txt
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by jtkauai
Hmmm. My S.O. was there last year and raved about it. So we went there a few weeks ago and it was dreadful. We were shocked.
had a similar experience--hubby and i went there twice and loved it, thought it was worth a trip to that side of the island...sent two friends who had the same dreadful experience there you did.

strange.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:00 am
Original Poster

A Hilo Restaurant blog

A very nice set of reviews of a variety of Hilo eateries (with a few on Oahu)!

http://www.jamesrubio.net/grinds/200...he-big-island/

Good stuff. Ono ^
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Ate tonight at a restaurant in Hilo we hadn't tried before: Sombats Thai Restaurant. Adjacent to Ken's Pancakes on Kenoelehua (although getting to the parking lot is a little convoluted).

Excellent food. Reasonable prices. Actual ambience. (Hilo is full of lots of places that have very ono food but zero ambience). Mostly locals.

Recommend ^
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Great blog, thanks for the link.

You're spot on with the no-ambiance thought on the Hilo restaurants, but great food can always be found.

Though I must say that I'm a big fan of Merriman's now in Kamuela. By the far the best restaurant I've ever eaten at in the Islands. ^
Old May 29, 2007, 1:19 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Otoh, if you are in someplace like Hilo, you can easily eat for nearly mainland prices in restaurants if you "go local."
Fo' real! Ken's House Of Pancakes serves delicious breakfasts, lunchs, and dinners at seriously inexpensive prices. They have a wonderfully diverse menu, with everything you could possibly want on it! And the staff is soooo nice! No foolin', it is a fun, good-tastin' time!
Old May 29, 2007, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Indeed!

Here are a few others:

Ychiba Noodle House in the Waikea Food Court near Office Max/Walmart (get the "mini-plate"; it's enough food for two)

New China Restaurant. Great buffet and inexpensive.

Blanes Drive In. Good plate lunch and good bentos. Excellent milkshake. But don't miss the strawberry slush float.

Nori's Saimin.
Old May 29, 2007, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Big Island: Consolidated Hilo-Hamakua-Puna-Volcano-Ka'u restaurant thread

Add your Hilo-Hamakua-Puna-Volcano-Ka'u restaurant experiences/recommenations here.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Two more:

New Star Restaurant. Lunch buffet is very good. A very local kine place. ~ $8

Coconut Grille. An excellent little restaurant, despite the fact that it is attached to one of Hilo's funkiest (but fun) hotels, the Seaside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.