Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hotels on Maui: Deals, Suggestions, Questions" thread

Consolidated "Hotels on Maui: Deals, Suggestions, Questions" thread

Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
The best hotel in Maui is the Four Seasons. That being said, my wife and I always stay at the Grand Wailea which is right next door to the Four Seasons. The pool is much better (they have an adult-only pool) and they have awesome cabanas which are spread out enough to give you real privacy. The Four Seasons' cabanas are all bunched up around the pool, no privacy.

We stay at the Grand Wailea but we never eat there, we always walk over to the Four Seasons' for lunch or dinner. There's also a Spago's there and the food is always top notch.

------------------
1K Man
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:50 pm

Inexpensive Maui Hotel?

We are staying in a timeshare for 1 week but to use our ff mile we need to leave two days later...I know a few more days in paradise, that's too bad. Can anyone recommend a place to stay for a few nights, nothing fancy...just safe and clean!

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
It might be helpful to give us more information regarding where you'd like to stay since Maui is a pretty big place...

How about using Priceline for a Maui hotel? You can use www.betterbidding.com or www.biddingfortravel.com (the later has more posts than the first, but the later does tend to be a bit stricter with posting rules) to find recent prices and hotels in a certain district. Last time I traveled to Maui, we stayed in the Kihei area at the Maui Lu. Even with a kama`aina rate (local rate), it still came up higher than a recent bid on Priceline (noted through www.biddingfortravel.com).

aloha
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:02 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
One place I would avoid is the Maui Palms in Kahului. Ghastly.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:18 pm

We will be spending the week in Kaanapali and we are not particular as to where we stay for the last few days.

I have looked at biddingfortravel.com and used Priceline and bid $80-85-90 & 95 for a 2 1/2 * but no luck! Last year I was able to get Maui Coast Hotel for $80 using Priceline, no such luck this year. I will wait and bid again next week but in the mean time I am looking for something for a back up

That is why I am asking for any deals that may be out there that I can't find.

Thanks...and Alohaaaaaaaaa
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I have never stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, but I guess the rooms there run about $170 for the cheapest room. There's always the dreaded Royal Lahaina Hotel. I've heard they are pretty cheap for the area, but they are VERY basic. What about the Eldorado in Ka'anapali?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MalibuSky
We are staying in a timeshare for 1 week but to use our ff mile we need to leave two days later...I know a few more days in paradise, that's too bad. Can anyone recommend a place to stay for a few nights, nothing fancy...just safe and clean!

Thanks
http://www.hotels.com/promotion.jsp?...ng=EN&gds=null

Maui Seaside is <$100/night. Give you a chance to explore the north side of Maui. Even cheaper with Entertainment card.

Phil
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Maui Seaside Hotel is a horrible hotel in a horrible location. Another horrible hotel is located close to it (my mind refuses to remember it) It also has a horrible restaurant (and it charges a 5% fee to process AMEX). FAUGEDDABOUTIT!!!! Ditto for the Maui Lu.

An interesting place to stay is the Silver Cloud B&B located at about a cool 2700 ft elevation near Kula overlooking South Maui. Itsa 20 min trip to the airport but a wonderful place, cheap, senic and clean.

MisterNice
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:21 pm

Suggest you type in Mauai Bed and breakfests and you will get a good cross section I stayed last month at a bb about 5min walk to beach for $55 a nt
Old Jun 29, 2004, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
I've always had good luck with the Aston Maui Banyan in Kihei. Only about a block from the beach. I've always rented the 1 bedroom with a sleep sofa (queen) in the living room, 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer and a kitchen. Last time I got the 5 night deal with the 5th night free. With that night free, it averaged out to ~$165/night during the high season. There are smaller units available for less, also larger ones for more.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by MisterNice
The Maui Seaside Hotel is a horrible hotel in a horrible location. Another horrible hotel is located close to it (my mind refuses to remember it) It also has a horrible restaurant (and it charges a 5% fee to process AMEX). FAUGEDDABOUTIT!!!! Ditto for the Maui Lu.
Ugh, the Maui Seaside/Maui Lu are two absolutely horrible hotels. Stay clear (but they are cheap!).

aloha
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:17 am

Maybe you would think about doing a mattress run to get FFNs to use at the Hyatt. We are able to get a priceline room at our local hyatt for $37, which gets us 1/2 credit towards FFNs. By doing 12 stays, we're getting 6 "free" nights at the Hyatt Kauai in August for a total cost of about $600. Last October we stayed at the Hyatt Maui using the same method. We would have never gone otherwise.

Just an idea.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: OnePass, Marriott
Originally Posted by Need
I got the room for about 60% off the rack rate thru priceline, which made it a sweet deal.
Has anyone else been sucessful as getting this property on priceline?

Originally Posted by Need
And I think if you stay at Sheraton, you get to use the pools at Westin (about 1/2 mile down the beach) too since they are both Starwood hotels.
Also - is this still the case? The Westin's pool is fantastic...

Steve
Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I'm too a fan of Wailea - much prettier & more relaxing. Kaanapali is just too big & often dangerous swimming.

My vote is for the Kea Lani - best rooms by far, closest to water, beautiful beach 3 pools, with the adult pool separate & not on the 'walk-thru; route to the others.

Can't stand the Grand Wailea - tacky, over-done & too much of a zoo, their adult pool is totally exposed with kids/people running through - not relaxing at all. Pool is great if you're 8 years old, but very crowded. I think the rooms are a rip-off & far far from the water. Beach is gorgeous, tho and Spa Grande is WONDERFUL! Avoid the restaurants here - overpriced & not anything memorable.

I walk along the Wailea walkway every morning when I'm there & if I remember correctly, there is no beach for the Outrigger - it's all lava rocks & you need to walk to get to a beach, but it's good snorkeling once you get there. Also a huge kids slide contraption that is really ugly was built a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure this is the Outrigger - let me know if I'm thinking of the wrong property.

I'd really try & see if you can swing the Kea Lani, but don't go to any of these during school holidays!
Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I like Kapalua for the combination of pool, beach and grounds. The hotel is in a state of transition, right now, having just been sold. Thus, you may be able to negotiate a pretty good rate. The service is not remarkable. However, some friends just returned from Kapalua where they rented a Bay Villa for $240.00 a night. This was for 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, washer/dryer, private patio and access to all hotel services. Kapalua is in West Maui and some do not like this area because the weather is less predictable than the Wailea, Kihei area. Quite frankly, I prefer this area of Maui. It is far less congested, feels more "Hawaiian" and the breezes or a brief afternoon shower are IMHO welcome. The beach is truly gorgeous and the surf is normally quite calm; calm enough for snorkeling. Hotel pool is also beautiful and the grounds are very lush, with tropical trees and flowers. If you have a car, it is about a 15-20 minute drive to Lahaina, where there are many nice restaurants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.