Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hotels on Maui: Deals, Suggestions, Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:25 pm

Marriott Wailea Resort is a great deal considering location, amazing infinity pool, family friendly pools, restaurants, access to water sports, etc. The rooms are a good size with a small fridge and all have balconies or lanai's.

While the Grand Wailea is really nice and part of the Hilton family, the points needed or the room rates make it just too expensive for what you get.

There is also a 50,000 point Marriott card offer floating around, but you may be better off paying the rate and racking up points for a future stay elsewhere.

One other thought would be the Fairmont Kea Lani, also in Wailea. You could sign up for the Fairmont CC and get 2 free nights. Your spouse/partner can get a card as well for a total of 4 nights. The annual fee is $95 each.

We are staying at the Marriott in July so will let you know how that goes.

Aloha!
-BS
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

We are in the midst of a 10 night stay at Honua Kai in a gorgeous 2-bedroom, 2.5 bath end unit in the Konea tower that includes a Viking grill on the lanai, and a stunning, ocean-front view. We booked through Kaanapali Beach Rentals, and not through the hotel. Booking and check-in process were painless.

The unit has approximately 1500 sq ft of living space, with a NanaWall system in both the living room and master bedroom that allows you to open up the entire living space to the generously-sized lanai. All of the appliances and finishes are high-end. The unit also has its own dedicated wireless network. There are HD televisions in each bedroom and in the living room. The entire unit is also equipped with built-in speakers, so you can hook up an i-device and play music in any room. The kitchen is fully-equipped with good-quality utensils, cookware and dishes. Just off the kitchen, there is a utility closet that contains a Bosch washer and dryer. In addition to the Viking grill, the built-in cooking station on the lanai includes a bar sink, Viking beverage fridge, and storage cabinets. Oddly, the one thing it didn't include are grilling utensils.

Location is decent, about a mile north of Black Rock. The beach in front of the hotel is adequate, but with Black Rock to the south and Napili Bay just a short drive up the road, you have other options nearby. Also, there is a Times market just across the street, as well as a pricy gourmet market on site in the adjacent Hokulani tower.

The stand-alone Duke's sits between the two towers, and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Duke's also has the concession for providing poolside bar service. About the only (minor) disadvantage we have seen by not booking through the hotel is that we can't sign F&B charges to the room.

The hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. There are three pool areas, all of which are kid-friendly. The so-called lazy river pool isn't really a lazy river, a missed opportunity in my mind. This resort does cater to families, so if you don't want a pool experience that includes lots of children, consider yourself warned. There are plans to open a spa, but my understanding is that this wont happen until later this year. The fitness center is decent, but I prefer running along the beach walk.

Overall, we are extremely pleased with Honua Kai. It is not cheap, but you do get a lot of bang for your buck.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hi All,
We are traveling to Maui in August as a family of 5 with 3 kids (16,14,10) and can't decide where to stay. I was looking at cashing in my Marriott Rewards points and was looking at the Ritz. A big downside is that it is very golf orientated and quite secluded, with little for the kids to do. On the other hand, there is the Fairmont Kea Lani down in Wailea which looks more aimed towards families. Can anyone provide an opinion on which would be best for us as a family? Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Barbella7
Hi All,
We are traveling to Maui in August as a family of 5 with 3 kids (16,14,10) and can't decide where to stay. I was looking at cashing in my Marriott Rewards points and was looking at the Ritz. A big downside is that it is very golf orientated and quite secluded, with little for the kids to do. On the other hand, there is the Fairmont Kea Lani down in Wailea which looks more aimed towards families. Can anyone provide an opinion on which would be best for us as a family? Thanks!
Been staying at Fairmont Kea Lani for 10 years. Its an all suite hotel, so lots of room to wiggle for the kids. Great pool, waterslide, and fronts the ocean on Polo Beach. All hotel suites are 840 sq ft and up. I do recommend this hotel for your family. Look for additional comments on www.tripadvisor.com.

You can get the best rates on www.greathawaiivacations.com or www.travel-hawaii.com.

We are booked for the same period.. just currently have the Andaz Maui booked down the suite. Doesn't have a water slide, rooms are smaller (I'm using a suite upgrade to get a suite currently. I mention this hotel because they have child care included in its' rates. A bit pricey, so I would go for the suite at Kea Lani unless you are a Diamond Member at Hyatt.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

We're going to Maui in January. In the past we've mostly stayed at the Grand Wailea and we really like it. But we're thinking of mixing it up a bit this time, and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for places to consider.

Our current top contender is the Four Seasons, but I'm wondering if there's anything else we should consider. It's been probably 6 or 7 years since we've been there, so I'm not sure what has changed. I'm pretty sure we want to be in Wailea. We've stayed in Kaanapali and Wailea is more the feel we're looking for. The Rtiz is too far from the beach (though beautiful).

From what I've read about the Andaz, it sounds like it's not really our style -- we're more into luxe and relaxing than chic and hip. We've walked through the Fairmont a couple of times and have eaten there several times, but inside it seemed a little drab and dark (though to be fair we haven't been in one of the rooms).

That pretty much covers them, doesn't it? Am I missing an option?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Virtuoso,Stars,Belmond Bellini,Dorchester Diamond,FSPP, Pen Club, Rosewood Elite, Hyatt Prive
I would stick with your top contender, considering what you value. Having stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani and been disappointed (in fact, attempted to move to FS mid-stay), I can wholeheartedly stand behind a Four Season Maui recommendation. It's impeccable.

This past winter I had the chance to tour the Andaz and found it to be a beautiful property with a 'modern' take on luxury service (Eg:no formal check in reception area). The downside at this property is the beach. Compared to Wailea beach which the Grand Wailea and FS front, the Andaz beach seems cramped.

One of my favorite travel memories comes my most recent stay at the FS Maui. My husband and I love to snorkel and made good use of the complementary 1 hour/day snorkel gear amenity. We saw more honu(sea turtles) than I ever could have hoped to see. It was truly magical. One was more that 5 ft in circumference!

Have fun planning your trip! It will be so much fun for you to have a drink at the swim-up bar and watch the whales breeching in January.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We've stayed at the Kea Lani for the past 10 years, and the plus with the hotel is grounds, and suites. Perfect for families as we have 2 small kids. The common areas are a bit drab, but the suites are great, and the pool/beach is wonderful. Also with Kea Lani being an all suite hotel, the hotel can be full, but because there is so much area, it doesn't seem at all busy, and you can always get a pool chair. Kea Lani recently renovated their pool system and looks incredible.

We've walked through FS Maui a number of times to frequent restaurants there. I like the location of Kea Lani the best out of all of the Wailea hotels. Shadowed by Haleakala, it seems to attract fantastic weather for than any area in Maui, whereas the more north on Wailea you get, the windier it seems. Not that much of a difference, but enough for me to tell.

Having said the above, we ourselves are breaking with tradition and staying at Andaz Maui which is a brand new hotel. It is boutique, and the grounds are not very large, but we wanted to try out something different, and sounds like service is impeccable there. We are booked into a suite, and with Diamond Membership we'll receive breakfast included each day. Kids club I understand is included at the Andaz.

Sounds like if you love Grand Wailea, you may want to try Grand Hyatt Kauai, as Hyatt built Grand Wailea, and for that matter built Waikoloa Village before sold to Hilton. A similar flavor will be at Grand Hyatt Kauai with fantastic award winning pool systems, and grounds are largely vast. Disney Aulani is also fantastic as well if you're into water park, entertainment, and something different in Hawaii.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:36 am

Thanks, good info. We won't have kids with us, so we're not too worried about "kid friendliness," but it doesn't bother us either (i.e. we don't need to be in a place that doesn't have kids; if we did, Grand Wailea would be off the table!). On this particular trip we definitely want to stay on Maui most of the time; we'll be there for a "milestone" anniversary and that's where we went for our honeymoon. We may do a couple of nights on Lana'i (we've only done day trips there before).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Virtuoso,Stars,Belmond Bellini,Dorchester Diamond,FSPP, Pen Club, Rosewood Elite, Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
Thanks, good info. We won't have kids with us, so we're not too worried about "kid friendliness," but it doesn't bother us either (i.e. we don't need to be in a place that doesn't have kids; if we did, Grand Wailea would be off the table!). On this particular trip we definitely want to stay on Maui most of the time; we'll be there for a "milestone" anniversary and that's where we went for our honeymoon. We may do a couple of nights on Lana'i (we've only done day trips there before).
You will love the FS Lodge at Koele on Lanai. Very quiet, but a very special escape! The horseback riding was fun, if you are so inclined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.