Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Thanks, just switched to Alamo and shaved off a few $s and went to full size too. I'm also thinking of moving up to an SUV for the drive to Polihale where we have not been yet. Is it worth the drive at this time of year just to have a look and walk around a bit?
I think it's worth the trip, but do not go over 10 mph on that road. It's pretty bad.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Thanks, just switched to Alamo and shaved off a few $s and went to full size too. I'm also thinking of moving up to an SUV for the drive to Polihale where we have not been yet. Is it worth the drive at this time of year just to have a look and walk around a bit?
I was pushed up to a full-size by availability on my rental and found it a bit more annoying to park. Most cars on Kauai are smaller. I'd say go smaller or up to the SUV...full-size was annoying.

Also, the North shore was pretty muddy when I arrived...wouldn't have wanted to drive anywhere off-road. Hiking off-road was bad enough.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I think it's worth the trip, but do not go over 10 mph on that road. It's pretty bad.
WE went to Shipwreck Beach today and I wanted to walk up to Maha'ulepu but SWMBO insisted on driving. After surviving that bunch of potholes called dirt road I won't bother with going to Polihale until another time when I have more ground clearance than the current Nissan Altima provides.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 pm

Interesting, I will also be on Kauai from Nov 24 to Dec 2 using Costco/Enterprise and find it a bit high. I have never thought about splitting a rental, thought it may be too much of a hassle switching cars. How does it work in practice?
So, I explained when I got to the desk that I had two back-to-back reservations and asked if I would need to come back after the first one ended. Enterprise was nice enough to take my total base price for the two reservations and divide it by the total number of days, come up with a daily rate and multiple that by the the total number of days I would have the car. They printed out a new contract and ended up saving me $11, in addition to the $80 I saved by dividing the reservation in two in the first place. ^
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Data Point Kauai car rental

Kauai Dec 5, 2014 - Dec 12, 2014 Full Size
Costco- Alamo-changed 3 times. Start $285.00, Then at 2 weeks out $185.00, 3 days before $165 + chg

Used AMX one time per rental $25.00 car insurance. Amazing coverage for the cost!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Picking up a Mid-sized SUV at Alamo this weekend, any idea what models? When I rented a mid-sized before there it was pick your own from the isle.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:24 pm

A few weeks ago, I rented from Thrifty through Discount Hawaii for the first time in a few years. (Costcotravel.com has been significantly cheaper for my last several rentals.) I'm not crazy about Thrifty, but this time, it was significantly cheaper and had been a couple of years since I had rented from them.

I thought I had made a mistake when we got out to the car and there were several large scrapes and dents on it. I didn't see a form with the rental agreement to make notations of the problems. I was about to walk back into the office when the rental agent (who had been exceptionally nice and friendly) came out and told us that Thrifty was well aware of all of the issues with the car and I didn't need to worry about it. He obviously could see that I was not believing him and he said, "Do you think I would walk all the way out here to lie to you?"

Anyway, I decided to "trust, but verify." I took several pictures of the damage and made sure that they showed the car still in the lot with other cars in case of a problem after I returned the car.

I've not had an experience like this before. I wonder if this is how Thrifty now does business.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

For my dates in February, the cheapest car is a convertible. (Costcotravel.com, Alamo) . Weird and probably won't last (I check back frequently), but it's been that way for a couple of weeks. For some strange reason, it seems unique to my dates because if I check a couple of days earlier, it's completely different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.