Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Kaua`i" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by mikelat
I'd think that $20/day for a Hawaii destination can be characterized as a bit unrealistic. Nothing personal, but I can't even get $20/day in the Seattle area and I know it has more supply vs demand than does Hawaii.
No worries, that's the kind of thing I need to hear. I think the $309 rate is probably fine.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
LIH

Priceline, Hotwire and Iv'e heard about Autoslash but have not had any experience with it.
If you book direct you can always cancel and rebook if rates go lower as long as you don't select the prepay option.
June is very busy. I would book sooner rather than later...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Kauai / LIH Rental Car Question

I used Autoslash in Feb/Mar of this year for rentals on Maui and Hawaii (the big island) and was quite happy with the final pricing. They apparently check the prices daily and will rebook you into lower prices automatically saving you from doing endless searches.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since your post pertains to Hawaii, I've moved it to the Hawaii destination forum where it will hopefully receive more attention.

Note to responding FlyerTalkers: This post originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

Thanks for helping, and safe travels to the OP!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mike2200
I used Autoslash in Feb/Mar of this year for rentals on Maui and Hawaii (the big island) and was quite happy with the final pricing. They apparently check the prices daily and will rebook you into lower prices automatically saving you from doing endless searches.
I looked on autoslash, and there is only one (FOX rental cars??) at $500/wk. Seems ridiculous to me...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by roki
I looked on autoslash, and there is only one (FOX rental cars??) at $500/wk. Seems ridiculous to me...

Regarding using Autoslash, you can do a booking with any car rental company, I used Alamo, then post it on Autoslash's web site and they will look for better prices from numerous different auto rental companies and advise you. My rentals ended up being with Budget and Thrifty.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Check your breakout. The fees and taxes can be more than the car rental.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
No worries, that's the kind of thing I need to hear. I think the $309 rate is probably fine.

Thanks!
I just checked your itinerary on Costcotravel.com - $269 for an intermediate at Budget. That's pretty close to the $250 you were looking for a while back.

Last edited by ILuvParis; May 4, 2014 at 12:20 am
Old May 6, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I just checked your itinerary on Costcotravel.com - $269 for an intermediate at Budget. That's pretty close to the $250 you were looking for a while back.
Lucky for me I'm a slacker. I just logged back in today to finally book it, and saw this! Thanks!

I went ahead and booked it, but no payment was required at the time. I assume I pay when I pick it up. If I have the AMEX Premium Insurance on my card, all I have to do it charge it on my AMEX and it's active, correct?

Last edited by roki; May 6, 2014 at 9:48 am
Old May 6, 2014, 8:37 pm

Lucky for me I'm a slacker. I just logged back in today to finally book it, and saw this! Thanks!

I went ahead and booked it, but no payment was required at the time. I assume I pay when I pick it up. If I have the AMEX Premium Insurance on my card, all I have to do it charge it on my AMEX and it's active, correct?
That I don't know. You're not required to use AMEX to pay for cars booked through Costcotravel.com, however. You pay just as you would if you had reserved it on the car rental company's site. And it doesn't matter if you're a slacker or not because if you had reserved it, you can cancel and re-reserve. As a matter of fact, I would re-check the rates periodically. They change often.

Last edited by ILuvParis; May 6, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

That's correct. You will be billed by AMEX for the ins. coverage as long as the full bill is charged to your card. Reject all the extra ins. they try to push down your throat. Grrrrrr...
Old May 7, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
That's correct. You will be billed by AMEX for the ins. coverage as long as the full bill is charged to your card. Reject all the extra ins. they try to push down your throat. Grrrrrr...
Sounds good. Enrolled my SPG in the AMEX insurance program, and I'll make sure to swipe it at LIH.

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:53 pm

Anybody tried for a car in September? The prices have seemed to fluctuate wildly. I got a compact for $265 for 11 days on Costcotravel.com and now it's well over $300 and sometimes changes a couple of times a day.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Sep 2, 2014 at 8:08 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Anybody tried for a car in September? The prices have seemed to fluctuate wildly. I got a compact for $265 for 11 days on Costcotravel.com and now it's well over $300 and sometimes changes a couple of times a day.
Wth?!? Are they involved in high frequency trading of car rentals?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:08 am

Down to $225 for a mid-size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.