Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Condos and Houses in Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:55 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
The Big Island is well... Big. What part of the Island are you looking at for your family? I am assuming the Kona side based on the hotels you mentioned... but just think it would be good to make it clear.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point - we plan to spend 5-7 nights before heading to Kauai: if 5 then it would be Kohala-Kona area, if 7 then possibly split between Kohala-Kona and Hilo side...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:09 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
In my opinion, you can't beat the Kohala Coast. There, you're generally looking at Waikoloa Beach Resort, Mauna Lani Resort and Mauna Kea Resort. All are fantastic options for families. There are a number of condo complexes in each resort. WBR and MLR will be similar in prices, MKR will be more expensive. Most of the condo complexes are not ocean front - although a few are: Kolea is essentially beachfront on A-Bay next door to the Marriott, Halii Kai is ocean front (but no beach) next door to the Hilton, etc., Mauna Lani Point - direct ocean view over golf course, etc. But you'll pay for that access/view. In any event, most of the condos in these three resorts are a short walk/drive to a beach - and no more than 10-15 minute drive to most of the best beaches on the Big Island.

I think you'll see the value proposition for a condo will generally beat any of the area hotels. Although, if you are looking at Christmas week, that's generally the busiest and most expensive week on the islands.

What you'll notice is that condo quality varies by unit - so you'll want to get pictures of whatever unit you are interested in. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I've been in, and have a pretty good sense of, each of the different condo complexes in WBR and MLR.

Originally Posted by azepine00
We plan to have 4 adults 2 kids on a trip to Big Island next Xmas so we are looking for either 1 room + 1 suite or 2-bd condo.
Hilton, Fairmont and Sheraton (out past choices with fewer people) require very significant suite upsells so i am considering condo alternative - looks like there is no shortage of 2+ bd options in 200-300/nt range for example via outrigger. And many are refundable in case plans change.

Any particular property recommendations? We need a decent pool for small kids and overall property quality and age. Oceanview/front would be a plus too.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tudorcity
In my opinion, you can't beat the Kohala Coast. There, you're generally looking at Waikoloa Beach Resort, Mauna Lani Resort and Mauna Kea Resort. All are fantastic options for families. There are a number of condo complexes in each resort. WBR and MLR will be similar in prices, MKR will be more expensive. Most of the condo complexes are not ocean front - although a few are: Kolea is essentially beachfront on A-Bay next door to the Marriott, Halii Kai is ocean front (but no beach) next door to the Hilton, etc., Mauna Lani Point - direct ocean view over golf course, etc. But you'll pay for that access/view. In any event, most of the condos in these three resorts are a short walk/drive to a beach - and no more than 10-15 minute drive to most of the best beaches on the Big Island.

I think you'll see the value proposition for a condo will generally beat any of the area hotels. Although, if you are looking at Christmas week, that's generally the busiest and most expensive week on the islands.

What you'll notice is that condo quality varies by unit - so you'll want to get pictures of whatever unit you are interested in. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I've been in, and have a pretty good sense of, each of the different condo complexes in WBR and MLR.
Kohala Coast is the place to be.. Yes, there is lots of lava rocks, but the region only receives 8 inches of rain per year. Looks like a desert.

The Kohala Coast is the region most likely in all of the HI State that guarantees sun.:-:
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Kohala Coast is the place to be.. Yes, there is lots of lava rocks, but the region only receives 8 inches of rain per year. Looks like a desert.

The Kohala Coast is the region most likely in all of the HI State that guarantees sun.:-:
Sun and wind! Waikoloa's nickname is "WaikoBlowa" I like the area between Kona and Keauhou. Not as many fancy resorts but not as much wind either. Plus, thousands of condo rooms for rent/exchange.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:29 am

Would like to go to Kauai in late September for about a wk with my mother and my sister, so 3 adult females. Have some points for SPG and Hyatt, but since we enjoy low key environment and ability to cook, I'd like to explore renting a condo. Price <$200 a night for 3-5 nights. North side preferred, but if close to beach, location not super important. Any recent experiences/recommendations?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Try this one... http://www.vrbo.com/287474

I've been in it several times and it's in outstanding condition and has everything you could possibly want - from beach/pool toys to cooking utensils. About 1/2 block from the beach. However, it is in Poipu.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:49 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Unfortunately, it is not available when the poster wants to go to Hawaii...

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Try this one... http://www.vrbo.com/287474

I've been in it several times and it's in outstanding condition and has everything you could possibly want - from beach/pool toys to cooking utensils. About 1/2 block from the beach. However, it is in Poipu.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Maui - Suggestions for 2BR condo or 4BR house rentals?

Trip planned for August to Maui, 2 families going. Each family has 2 adults and 2 kids (approx ages 6 & 9).

We're looking around for either two 2 BR condos, or a 4 BR home to rent.

Suggestions?

TIA

Phil
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Trip planned for August to Maui, 2 families going. Each family has 2 adults and 2 kids (approx ages 6 & 9).

We're looking around for either two 2 BR condos, or a 4 BR home to rent.

Suggestions?

TIA

Phil
In general, I recommend two separate condos. Sometimes a bit of space away from your travel companions is nice, spoken from experience.

Take a look at a place called Papakea. VRBO will probably have several listings at the property. We've stayed there with kids several times and it always seems to have the right combination of things that make a great vacation.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Going to Maui for the first time in January... me, my wife, our (by then) 1.5 year old and my mom and dad. Kind of overwhelmed by the choices... normally it's easy to make a decision but having my parents coming with us complicates things a bit.

We're looking for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo under $200/night, and I landed on a few at Aina Nalu in Lahaina. Here's one example:

http://www.vrbo.com/433152

Any comments regarding the wisdom of staying in Lahaina in general (as opposed to Kihei or other locales)? Anyone familiar with this place also care to comment? We will be there for 10 days and expect to do a mix of relaxing on beaches and sightseeing.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:23 pm

Location: leawood,ks,usa, dl lifetime gold,,aa lifetime gold,hyattplatinum
Maui Trip in April 2015

My wife and I are planning a one week trip to Maui 4/1-4/8/2015.
I am looking for suggestions for a townhouse/small house/condo on the West coast for just the two of us. We would like to spend around $2000 for the accommodations for the week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Terry
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
A search for "Maui" found this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ns-thread.html I like VRBO. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, Club Carlson
Oahu Holiday Rentals (Airbnb)

Hey, planning a trip to Oahu next year, and would prefer to get a holiday rental instead of a hotel.

We want somewhere to ourselves that's clean and reasonably near shops/restaurants (a short drive is ok if the place is exceptional)

Does anyone have any experience of this in Oahu? Obviously looked at airbnb, but would appreciate recommendations for other places to look.

TIA
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by coldfy
Hey, planning a trip to Oahu next year, and would prefer to get a holiday rental instead of a hotel.

We want somewhere to ourselves that's clean and reasonably near shops/restaurants (a short drive is ok if the place is exceptional)

Does anyone have any experience of this in Oahu? Obviously looked at airbnb, but would appreciate recommendations for other places to look.

TIA
Try also looking on VRBO, which is Vacation Rentals By Owner, (www.vrbo.com), which is similar to airbnb. Or their sister site, homeaway.com. I have a condo on Oahu that I list on VRBO (not pimping it here, as I am booked up well into next year) and it is a great site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.