Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to spend on Big Island?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by floridagal23
.....we can fly in, do 2 nights at the four seasons, leave early and drive to Volcano house, spend a night at volcano house and then drive back to the four seasons late the following day. This would allow us the day of arrival at the volcano house (most of the day) and then the next day before departing back to the four seasons for another 3 nights.
This sounds like a good plan. Get to Volcano early enough to explore latest lava flows as referenced above in Post 11. Visit Jaggar Museum and Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and hopefully catch a glow from your room that night. Next morning hike Kīlauea Iki Crater/Thurston Lava Tube....

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvis...kilaueaiki.htm

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvis...mtour_tube.htm

Last edited by BOSOGG; Sep 13, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Since you are a Hilton Gold member, you might consider staying at the Doubletree Grand Naniloa Hotel in Hilo. It's close enough to VNP, and within walking distance of downtown Hilo. Yes, it will be a far cry from the luxury of the 4 Seasons or Fairmont resorts on the west side of the island, but it's a great launching point to see the sights on that side of the island for a fraction of the cost. We got a nice room on the top floor, right at the end for $150 a night!

Some good reviews & pics in this thread, including mine:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ton-us-hi.html

Last edited by Arthurrs; Sep 13, 2017 at 12:00 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Two Step

Speaking of Two Step (the snorkel place), I hear there is a FlyerTalk guy there almost every Friday at sunset for a pot luck. A few of my neighbors and I do a pot luck there and the past couple of Fridays I have done a short Facebook live video. Last Friday it started raining at sunset.

Parking can be a bit difficult as there is a one way loop to drive in. Some people park at the National Park and walk in, but that uses up spaces in the park. Others park on the left before the park entrance and walk down the one-way street to the ocean.

If you get a chance, over between Hilo and the volcano is the rainforest zoo. Where else in Hawaii are you going to see tigers for free? I suggest this as it is a nice leisurely stroll and novel place to visit.

There are many neat places on the Big Island which visitors miss. Some people take the all-day bus tour but that misses a lot and only allows short visits to places (some are tourist traps).

The Big Island is so large that you really have to stay a week or so just to get a taste of life here.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Hi all-
I'm thinking of signing up for the 4 mile round trip lava flow walk led by Active Hawaii Tours as recommended. I'll be just over 5 months pregnant at the time and am in relatively good shape (I work out a few times a week, nothing strenuous at this point though) and we walk a ton (live in NYC, have a dog). Any issues? I know the terrain is uneven but with good sneakers and careful walking is it anything to be concerned with or something that seems do-able?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Hi all-
I'm thinking of signing up for the 4 mile round trip lava flow walk led by Active Hawaii Tours as recommended. I'll be just over 5 months pregnant at the time .....
Volcanic Fumes
Fumes (volcanic gases) are hazardous to everyone's health. Visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women are especially at risk and should avoid being in areas where fumes persist.

See:
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvis...-dashboard.htm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
In terms of physical fitness, I was out of shape, 20 lbs overweight, and yes at times the hike was a bit strenuous, but our guide did a great job in making sure we all stayed together as a group, and planned several rest breaks along the way. Glad I took advantage of the free bikes at the Fairmont the day before, so that I didn't look like a total noob on the tour, I hadn't ridden a bike in several years!! I don't think you should have any issues. I had some good running shoes with decent soles that proved to be sturdy enough for the lava fields. They will get scuffed up pretty good, the lava has lots of sharp edges. Thick soles are preferred, since some of the ground you're walking on is still hot (150 degrees F) from week or two old lava flows. Obviously don't wear crocs or sandals!!!

With regards to the fumes, it really wasn't bad at all when we were there, but it always depends on the way the winds are blowing that day. For the most part, the wind direction should blow the bad stuff away from where you will be hiking. You may want to check with the touring company a day or two in advance and let them know your concerns. You might need a rain poncho as well, weather is unpredictable in that part! And bring plenty of water!

Oh and have fun! It was the highlight of our incredible week! Cant wait to go back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.