Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Will flight prices to Hawaii drop, due to UA's new added capacity?

Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond

Travel and Leisure magazine is speculating as such, in this article:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/airl...L_JustIn061917

Unfortunately, I have not seen any price drops yet for the spring break 2018 flights that I have been keeping an eye out for.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Yesterday I bought 4 tickets (2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant) from SEA-HNL one way for $550 USD. I thought that was pretty good for July 12 th departure.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by loomis
Travel and Leisure magazine is speculating as such, in this article:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/airl...L_JustIn061917

Unfortunately, I have not seen any price drops yet for the spring break 2018 flights that I have been keeping an eye out for.
I thought that Virgin's introduction into the Hawaii market and addition of capacity from SFO and LAX would drop prices on those routes drastically, but I haven't noticed that to be the case...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Needless to say, UA is not increasing capacity because it believes that it can't maintain high fares. Perhaps UA's RM/IM people (and software) will be wrong and fares will plummet.

But, that won't occur until close in. For someone looking at spring 2018, there is zero incentive to offer cheap fares now. People who book this far ahead are locked in and will eventually have to purchase or go somewhere else. That is what spring break is all about, people who can only travel in a narrow time-frame.

With the economy on screech and business travel to HI headed up, the added capacity may simply mean that UA maintains PRASM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.