Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian or Alaskan Airlines for trip to Kona?

Hawaiian or Alaskan Airlines for trip to Kona?

Old May 8, 2017, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / National EC
Question Hawaiian or Alaskan Airlines for trip to Kona?

I am planning a trip in July to Kona, HI. I would be flying SJC-KOA. It looks like the two main airlines doing this route are Hawaiian and Alaskan. I am hoping to earn AA miles on this flight (but if not, it's not the end of the world).

In terms of customer service and experience, I would appreciate some advice on whether I should be leaning toward Hawaiian or Alaskan Airlines. Thoughts?
Old May 8, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Do you prefer flying for 5+ hours on a widebody or a narrow gauge plane? Would that be a deciding factor for you?
Old May 8, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I like them both. Schedule & cost would be my deciding factor. It's not that long a flight.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Having flown to Hawaii often on both airlines, I have zero doubt that Alaska Airlines should be the first choice. I have never been lied to intentionally by Alaska Airlines, I have had my basic intelligence insulted more than once by Hawaiian Airlines staff. Alaska Airlines aircraft personnel are routinely considerate, Hawaiian Airlines onboard staff often seem to consider passengers as an inconvenience to be tolerated at best.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:06 pm

That Aloha spirit seems to have disappeared from HA. But I do like their A330's more so than a 737. The HA premium coach product could use a bit of a tweak. But it's IMO still better than AS's premium coach by just a hair.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:50 pm

Take Hawaiian if it's on their A330, Alaska otherwise. Was on their 767 flying from SMF-HNL last year. 6 hours with no in-flight entertainment, wifi, or charging stations. I'll be excited when they replace those planes with the A321.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:18 pm

I'd go with Alaska. Hawaiian has been such a miss for me for the past few flights. As another poster said, it seems like the Aloha spirit is gone. Alaska has great on board service and their FF program is miles ahead of HA.

Edit: To go into more detail, AS has many more redemption parters and options. Furthermore, they treat their elites well. HA has been incredibly difficult for me to redeem anything at an acceptable value. Furthermore, HA treats elites only slightly better than regular fliers. Some of the agents just have such a hostile attitude, worse than any I've ever experienced even on United.

Again, this is just my experience in the past few years. Previously it was much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.