Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

HNL and KOA Renamed to Honor Senator Daniel K. Inouye and Astronaut Ellison Onizuka

HNL and KOA Renamed to Honor Senator Daniel K. Inouye and Astronaut Ellison Onizuka

Old May 4, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
How many people of younger generations know who Butch O'Hare was or would know anything of his exploits if not for flying through the airport named in his honor?
I'd guess that 0.001% of "people of younger generations" know who Butch O'Hare is. Or Hartsfield or Jackson, etc.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Didn't Onizuka already have Moffett Field in Silicon Valley (where he was based in the Air Force) named after him?
Old May 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Didn't Onizuka already have Moffett Field in Silicon Valley (where he was based in the Air Force) named after him?
Close, but not exactly. Onizuka AFS, in Sunnyvale, was named after Ellison Onizuka after he died in the Challenger accident. Moffett Field is a Naval Air Station. Onizuka AFS is now closed, its units dispersed to other bases.

And Ellison Onizuka was never assigned to the base eventually named after him, which housed some space operations facilities. Onizuka was a test pilot and astronaut.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nishimark
Agreed. This kind of naming can work when the person is extremely well known (e.g., JFK), while in other cases it will just lead to confusion.
Confusion as to which airport? "I'm flying into Honolulu" will probably remain what 99.99% of flyers say (well, departing pax will say "please take me to the airport). It's not like Washington or New York (among others), where "the airport" is ambiguous.

Note also that KOA retains both Kona and Keahole in the name:

http://airports.hawaii.gov/koa/main/...rt-at-keahole/
Old May 6, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by drewguy
Note also that KOA retains both Kona and Keahole in the name
For now.

David
Old May 19, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by drewguy
Confusion as to which airport? "I'm flying into Honolulu" will probably remain what 99.99% of flyers say (well, departing pax will say "please take me to the airport). It's not like Washington or New York (among others), where "the airport" is ambiguous.

Note also that KOA retains both Kona and Keahole in the name:

http://airports.hawaii.gov/koa/main/...rt-at-keahole/
I still call Ronald Reagan Airport, "National Airport".

I live near Kona Aiport and everytime my Sister on the mainland talks about the airport she says "no, there some other airport there besides Kona, but I don't remember the name." She is thinking of Keahole. That is what renaming an airport does, creates confusion.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Lavarock7
I still call Ronald Reagan Airport, "National Airport".

I live near Kona Aiport and everytime my Sister on the mainland talks about the airport she says "no, there some other airport there besides Kona, but I don't remember the name." She is thinking of Keahole. That is what renaming an airport does, creates confusion.
You're right. We obviously must start calling it Idlewild again.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: Oahutraveler.comon-demand Hawaiian tour guide in the palm of your hand
Beyond some of the reasons that have been discussed in this thread, a lot of locals here on O'ahu don't care for this name change, particularly considering the amount of money it will likely cost. It is considered wasteful and somewhat of a mockery by MANY in the face of so many other issues of far greater concern around the island (i.e. the homeless problem) that could use more attention and the type of funding that this name changing will probably receive. As a resident myself, I also think it's a ridiculous waste.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DoubleIslander25
Beyond some of the reasons that have been discussed in this thread, a lot of locals here on O'ahu don't care for this name change, particularly considering the amount of money it will likely cost. It is considered wasteful and somewhat of a mockery by MANY in the face of so many other issues of far greater concern around the island (i.e. the homeless problem) that could use more attention and the type of funding that this name changing will probably receive. As a resident myself, I also think it's a ridiculous waste.
Aloha and Welcome to Flyertalk, DoubleIslander!
Old May 20, 2017, 3:45 am

I personally have no objection to Onizuka being honored with an airport name, but my issue is with a politician. It seems to me that at least 1/2 the public might not be fans of a politician because of their political party.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
I personally have no objection to Onizuka being honored with an airport name, but my issue is with a politician. It seems to me that at least 1/2 the public might not be fans of a politician because of their political party.
One could justify honoring Inouye on the basis of his war record, irrespective of his political background (He won the Congressional Medal of Honor, Bronze Star, and Distinguished Service Cross). And in fact, I don't believe the opposition party ever mustered as much as 40% of the vote for any candidate that ever ran against him in the state of Hawaii.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

HNL joins the ranks of the 49th state and Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa

HNL joins the ranks of the 49th state and Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
Not quite. I believe that all Hawaiian bridges, actual, and proposed, always went "somewhere."
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You're right. We obviously must start calling it Idlewild again.
Sure, why not? Otherwise we need to change the "Car 54 Where Are You?" theme.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I'd prefer if they would use "Honolulu - Daniel K Inoye" or "Kona - Ellison Onizuka". The sole use of Daniel K Inoye is terribly confusing..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.