Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

HNL and KOA Renamed to Honor Senator Daniel K. Inouye and Astronaut Ellison Onizuka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL and KOA Renamed to Honor Senator Daniel K. Inouye and Astronaut Ellison Onizuka

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Haven't seen this posted here yet but they announced yesterday that HNL airport will no longer be known as Honolulu International.

It has been renamed the Daniel K. inouye International Airport after the late senator. The new sign should go up in a few days.

http://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/
Old May 2, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
HNL airport will no longer be known as Honolulu International.
A similar thing happened in the early '80s in Seattle. Seatac Airport got renamed, after a late senator, "Jackson International Airport". But that name change was short-lived; the name was changed back to Seatac after a lot of opposition to the name change arose.

As one of the commissioners involved in that situation stated: "'It's evident to me that the vast majority of people...prefer a geographical name for their airport."

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/02/...4709446878800/

Last edited by muji; May 2, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by muji
A similar thing happened in the early '80s in Seattle. Seatac Airport got renamed after a late senator. But that name change was short-lived; the name was changed back to Seatac after a lot of opposition to the name change arose.

As one the commissioners involved in that situation stated: "'It's evident to me that the vast majority of people...prefer a geographical name for their airport."

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/02/...4709446878800/
I am picking up a friend coming in from KOA today and the new name is already on flightaware.
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Finkface
Haven't seen this posted here yet but they announced yesterday that HNL airport will no longer be known as Honolulu International.

It has been renamed the Daniel K. inouye International Airport after the late senator. The new sign should go up in a few days.

http://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/
While it is nice to honor worthy people, it is tragic that the State dilutes its brand like this.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by 747FC
While it is nice to honor worthy people, it is tragic that the State dilutes its brand like this.
Agreed. This kind of naming can work when the person is extremely well known (e.g., JFK), while in other cases it will just lead to confusion.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
This kind of naming can work when the person is extremely well known (e.g., JFK), while in other cases it will just lead to confusion.
You are exactly right. While the late senator deserves to be recognized (he did a lot of good for Hawaii and the world) those who voted to rename the airport in his honor failed to recognize the fact that the senator, well known as he is and was in his native state, is not as widely known outside the state.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
How many people of younger generations know who Butch O'Hare was or would know anything of his exploits if not for flying through the airport named in his honor? Hopefully the generations to come will come to know and remember the legacies of people such as Ted Stevens, Norman Mineta, Daniel Inouye, and Ellison Onizuka.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Agreed. This kind of naming can work when the person is extremely well known (e.g., JFK), while in other cases it will just lead to confusion.
Looks like FlyinHawaiian beat me to it, but I can't resist: I get sooooo confused when I land at O'Hare.

Or Louie Armstrong airport in New Orleans. Wasn't he the first man to walk on the moon?

And who's this Bergstrom guy in Austin, anyway?
Old May 3, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
How many people of younger generations know who Butch O'Hare was or would know anything of his exploits if not for flying through the airport named in his honor? Hopefully the generations to come will come to know and remember the legacies of people such as Ted Stevens, Norman Mineta, Daniel Inouye, and Ellison Onizuka.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Looks like FlyinHawaiian beat me to it, but I can't resist: I get sooooo confused when I land at O'Hare.

Or Louie Armstrong airport in New Orleans. Wasn't he the first man to walk on the moon?

And who's this Bergstrom guy in Austin, anyway?
would you name your business after someone else? I think not, and I don't think Honolulu should either.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta
O'hare was named that in 1949, before flying was something that virtually everyone did.

And with that, I have 1000 posts on FlyerTalk. Wish it could've something more dramatic.

Last edited by nishimark; May 3, 2017 at 9:34 pm Reason: Legacy note
Old May 3, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
O'hare was named that in 1949, before flying was something that virtually everyone did.

And with that, I have 1000 posts on FlyerTalk. Wish it could've something more dramatic.
But it wasn't like O'hare was the Chicago International Airport. It was, rather, named after a home improvement store mogul and a department store king (Orchard Field) ... ok, probably not a true story but it sounded good.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by 747FC
would you name your business after someone else? I think not, and I don't think Honolulu should either.
[mod hat off] Probably not due to licensing/copyright issues, but this is different - there is a precedence of honoring individuals by naming government facilities/property after them (think of all of the schools and buildings, ships, and, yes, other airports). As for brand dilution? Somehow Maynard Jackson and William Hartsfield's names hasn't seemed to harmed the growth or viability of that airport in Georgia,

[mod hat still off] Congratulations on reaching your milestone and thanks for your contributions to the site!

[mod hat on]I've split this thread out of muji-san's Overview Guide to HNL Airport.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I wish the government would stop renaming public facilities.

All the bridges in NYC have been renamed after someone and quite honestly, I still don't know which one they're talking about when I hear it on the news.

While these honorees are very worthy, how about naming something else besides bridges, tunnels, and airports after them? It is extremely confusing.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I wish the government would stop renaming public facilities.

All the bridges in NYC have been renamed after someone and quite honestly, I still don't know which one they're talking about when I hear it on the news.

While these honorees are very worthy, how about naming something else besides bridges, tunnels, and airports after them? It is extremely confusing.
There are already three thousand (slight exaggeration) things named after Senator Inouye.

Fun Fact about Hawaii and naming things after politicians: When the H-3 Freeway was built, the tunnels through the Koolau Range were named after the former chief engineer for the state. When a new governor (Cayetano) got elected, they were renamed after a former governor, John Burns (who already had a medical school named after him, as well as some other edifices). When yet another governor (Lingle) got elected, the tunnels were stripped of the Burns name and again assigned to the former chief engineer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuo_Harano_Tunnels

http://khon2.com/2015/12/14/h-3-free...ead-at-age-95/
Old May 4, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just call it the H-3 Tunnel or the Pali Tunnel when referring it that one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.