Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hotel Recommendations for 5 nights in Hawaii?

Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice from the experts here! Me and my wife are looking forward to a five night peaceful getaway, just the two of us for 5 nights from 25th may departing San Francisco. We are looking for a mid to luxury hotel with rooms that have amazing ocean views and is quiet and romantic. This is our first time to Hawaii and don't mind spending about $400 / night for the hotel (I know we may not get luxury at this rate).

I am a Hilton platinum, having about 350,0000 points and also a Hyatt diamond. I am not too hung up on using these points as am not sure I'll get what am looking for in a Hilton or a Hyatt property.

Based on this, could you please advise on which island to goto in Hawaii and which hotels?

Thanks guys!!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Welcome to Flyertalk!

You can get some amazing ocean-front views (if you pay for them) on many islands. Make sure you book ocean-front, and not ocean-view rooms. I'd recommend that you speak to front-desk personnel who are familiar with the properties to maximize you chances of picking an appropriate room category.

Some favorites:

Oahu-
Four Seasons Ko'olina
The Kahala Hotel
Nothing in Waikiki except ultra-expensive rooms at the Halekulani.

Big Island-
Hapuna
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Lanai-
Manele Bay

Maui-
Even though the Grand Wailea is on the beach it is a very large property...
Haven't stayed there, but people like the Four Seasons Wailea and Anduz...

Good luck!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:48 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
For Hyatt, I would recommend either the Andaz on Maui or the Grand Hyatt Kauai. As a Diamond member, you can use one of your Tier Suite Upgrades to get a confirmed suite, and the resort fee is waived along with other Diamond benefits. I was at the Grand Hyatt two weeks ago and think it might be what you are looking for.

Here are the existing threads in the Hyatt Forum on these properties that you can use for more questions/information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...1-forward.html

I am excluding the Hyatt Regencys in Waikiki and Kaanapali as they are in busier, touristy areas but they also have rooms with great ocean views.

For Hilton, I suggest you look at the Grand Wailea or Hilton Waikoloa Village for the Diamond benefits there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ort-us-hi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...age-us-hi.html

I am excluding the Honolulu Hilton properties for the same reason above. I drove by the Hilton Garden Inn on Kauai and noted it's location and decided it wasn't that appealing to me.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 22, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:28 am

It is difficult to beat peacefulness of the Big Island properties mentioned by 747FC. Both Hapuna Beach and Mauna Kea are away from any touristy areas but close enough for a short drive. Both properties offer great beaches and the view from the lobby at Hapuna Beach is stunning.

If quiet is a requirement, look no further.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

For Hilton, I suggest you look at the Grand Wailea or Hilton Waikoloa Village for the Diamond benefits there:

I am excluding the Honolulu Hilton properties for the same reason above. I drove by the Hilton Garden Inn on Kauai and noted it's location and decided it wasn't that appealing to me.
Both the Grand Wailea and Hilton properties are mega-resorts that cater to conventions/meetings. Be aware of that if you go there.

The Hilton Garden Inn Kauai is a funky place, certainly not luxury. However, many years ago, I strolled down to then then-deserted beach at sunrise, and it was so remarkable, I called my parents to share the experience with them and thank them "for everything."

OP: You really can't go wrong in your decision.

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:56 pm Reason: composition error
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I don't think you'll find any hotel in Hawaii that doesn't cater to conventions/meetings, it's a big source of revenue. That said, there is so much to see and do off property in Hawaii that I can't imagine being holed up in a hotel for all 5 days like you would with one of those all-inclusive resorts you find elsewhere. So if there is a big event happening in the courtyard or beach during your stay, make plans elsewhere for the evening, like an awesome dinner at Merrimans or similar.

Another Hilton property that you might consider...Grand Naniloa Doubletree in Hilo, especially if you want to explore the volcano or Waipio Valley on the east side of the big island for one or two nights. I just visited it last week, they did a very nice job with a major renovation of the hotel while keeping some resemblance of classic Hawaii hotel look, it's a very scenic location, and the view from my 12th floor suite was amazing. Cost me only $150 per night! Awesome bang for the buck considering that most decent hotel rooms on the other side of the island start at $300 per night. Just beware that it rains a lot in Hilo.

If you're not tied to Hilton properties, check out the Fairmont properties on the islands. We just completed our second stay at the Fairmont Orchid, we absolutely loved it there! Beautiful property, amazing sunsets, never felt too crowded or busy despite the hotel being sold out during our stay.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would go with either the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island or 4S in Wailea (although to be frank, $400/night probably won't cut it there).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

For Hyatt, I would recommend either the Andaz on Maui or the Grand Hyatt Kauai. As a Diamond member, you can use one of your Tier Suite Upgrades to get a confirmed suite, and the resort fee is waived along with other Diamond benefits. I was at the Grand Hyatt two weeks ago and think it might be what you are looking for.

Here are the existing threads in the Hyatt Forum on these properties that you can use for more questions/information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...1-forward.html

I am excluding the Hyatt Regencys in Waikiki and Kaanapali as they are in busier, touristy areas but they also have rooms with great ocean views.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ort-us-hi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...age-us-hi.html

Actually, the DSU is not available for my dates for a couple of hotels you mentioned and for most of them the suite upgrade is for a non-ocean view suite

I was looking at the Andaz, but based on recent reviews, it seems that it has become really crowded so wasnt sure about that.

Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to Flyertalk!

You can get some amazing ocean-front views (if you pay for them) on many islands. Make sure you book ocean-front, and not ocean-view rooms. I'd recommend that you speak to front-desk personnel who are familiar with the properties to maximize you chances of picking an appropriate room category.

Some favorites:

Oahu-
Four Seasons Ko'olina
The Kahala Hotel
Nothing in Waikiki except ultra-expensive rooms at the Halekulani.

Big Island-
Hapuna
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Lanai-
Manele Bay

Maui-
Even though the Grand Wailea is on the beach it is a very large property...
Haven't stayed there, but people like the Four Seasons Wailea and Anduz...

Good luck!
Thank you 747FC for these options, am going to look into these! Which of the different islands would you recommend for beautiful ocean views as well as restaurant options and good 1-2 hour drives?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:38 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by sukruthp
Thank you 747FC for these options, am going to look into these! Which of the different islands would you recommend for beautiful ocean views as well as restaurant options and good 1-2 hour drives?
All of the islands have their special charm. While all have a selection of great restaurants, Oahu has more of them.

You did mention "peaceful getaway." If that means you want to chill at a resort and not do too much sightseeing/historical touring, there is nothing that beats the Manele Bay hotel. However, no 1-2 hour drives on that island.

A recent article might be helpful to review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Islands

Perhaps if you could let us know how you like to spend your vacations, we can offer more informed recommendations.

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 22, 2017 at 12:16 am Reason: Add info
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
All of the islands have their special charm. While all have a selection of great restaurants, Oahu has more of them.

You did mention "peaceful getaway." If that means you want to chill at a resort and not do too much sightseeing/historical touring, there is nothing that beats the Manele Bay hotel. However, no 1-2 hour drives on that island.

A recent article might be helpful to review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Islands

Perhaps if you could let us know how you like to spend your vacations, we can offer more informed recommendations.
Thanks 747C, this has been my first post on flyertalk and getting such quick and helpful responses have been totally awesome!!

So, i typically like to relax in the room with an awesome view or on the beach with a cocktail, or a beautiful scenic drive. Would also love to hit bars nearby that have good views and sunsets if possible. This wouldnt be too much of a sightseeing tour to be honest, just want to relax and de-stress. Maybe a spa treatment or two as well.

I do see about 60% of the time spent in the resort, which is why i am looking for resorts with great rooms with good service and good food.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It really sounds like the GH Kauai fits all those requirements. We go there knowing it is to relax and chill out a few days before moving to another island.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:21 am

Thanks 747C, this has been my first post on flyertalk and getting such quick and helpful responses have been totally awesome!!

So, i typically like to relax in the room with an awesome view or on the beach with a cocktail, or a beautiful scenic drive. Would also love to hit bars nearby that have good views and sunsets if possible. This wouldnt be too much of a sightseeing tour to be honest, just want to relax and de-stress. Maybe a spa treatment or two as well.

I do see about 60% of the time spent in the resort, which is why i am looking for resorts with great rooms with good service and good food.
If you want to be in an urban environment, The Kahala Hotel is for you. You are a few miles from Waikiki if you want to hit bars. Otherwise, you can just enjoy the bar at the Kahala, as well as the tranquil setting and great beach views. When you want to go exploring, you can rent a car and drive to impressive ocean cliff settings in eastern Oahu, or drive all around the island.

If the previously-mentioned FS Manele Bay is not for you, I'd suggest the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.

Just remember that there is a world of difference between an ocean-front and ocean-view room, both in price and view!

Good luck in your awesome choice!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary2e
It really sounds like the GH Kauai fits all those requirements. We go there knowing it is to relax and chill out a few days before moving to another island.
This, GH Kauai is awesome to spend 60% of your time. The other 40% can be spend driving around the island.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I was at the Grand Hyatt two weeks ago and think it might be what you are looking for.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
This, GH Kauai is awesome to spend 60% of your time. The other 40% can be spend driving around the island.
I'm seeing a trend here.

Do keep other options open but having just spent five days and four nights at the GH with a similar agenda, my memory is pretty fresh. There's also something to be said of taking advantage of hard-earned hotel elite status and saving $60-$100 a day in breakfast and snacks (via lounge access) and getting higher priority for room and suite upgrades.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:49 pm

I'm seeing a trend here.

Do keep other options open but having just spent five days and four nights at the GH with a similar agenda, my memory is pretty fresh. There's also something to be said of taking advantage of hard-earned hotel elite status and saving $60-$100 a day in breakfast and snacks (via lounge access) and getting higher priority for room and suite upgrades.
There does seem to be a bunch of people with good experiences at the GH, but I am not one of them. While it was a few years ago, the musty, moldy smell I remember put us off from returning there. Good luck to the OP in selecting the right place for his special get-a-way....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.