Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED "Layover at HNL; What to Do?" Thread (Pre-2016)

Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts from 2016 and onward may be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1818122-consolidated-layover-hnl-what-do-thread-2016-onward.html
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED "Layover at HNL; What to Do?" Thread (Pre-2016)

Old Jul 19, 2003, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread

Is it worth leaving the airport or should we just stay put.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
As much as I would love to tell you to go out & see something - 4 hours just isn't enough time. The security line in HNL can be quite long, though it moves, but you will definitely need at least 1 hour to get through (at least it was like this in March on two seperate occasions). I just wouldn't take the chance - particularly if you hit traffic along H-1.

The airport is about 20 minutes from Waikiki when there isn't any traffic. That's not going to happen too often during the day. You might be able to go in the other direction & go into downtown Honolulu & perhaps see the Aloha Tower Marketplace, but a total of 4 hours is just cutting it a bit too close.

Sorry - If you had 6 hours I'd say go for it, but not 4.

Mary
Old Jul 19, 2003, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by poolmom:
Is it worth leaving the airport or should we just stay put.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
</font>
poolmom,
Welcome to FT!

I agree with Mary. Four hours will not be enough time for you to visit anything really special in HNL. Considering time factored in for getting off the plane, traffic/travel, and security check points, you'll end up having a little less than one hour at your destination. Planes leaving for the mainland here in HNL usually begin boarding 40-50 minutes prior to departure time.

There are a few things you can do in HNL. For full services including restaurants and shops:

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/o...x_services.htm

Something I highly suggest you do is get a day club pass for an airline lounge (especially Continental's President's Club) and relax there. This would allow you to stay within the secure area. (See if you can trade for a airline pass at the Coupon Connection under FT Miles) There are also a few garden areas that can be pretty nice during a nice day (there are two, one located in the domestic terminal and the other in the interisland terminal). See www.honoluluairport.com for more info on the garden areas.

There is also a business center located in the terminal, but that can be taken care of if you visit an airline lounge.

Being that I work in Downtown, I'd be more than happy to give you a ride to Aloha Tower Marketplace, but like Mary and I said, the time is just too short. There really is nothing to see in the airport area short of a few one-two star hotels. Wholesale Unlimited, located in Mapunapuna (about a five minute drive from the airport) has some local goodies and snacks you might take back home ( www.cybersnacks.net ) and the Arizona Memorial (and USS Missouri) is about a ten-15 minute drive away, but you'll only be able to see it from afar because the wait times are so long.

I hope this helped. There was an aviation museum in the domestic terminal, but I don't think it's open anymore due to small business. That would have been a nice way to pass some of the time, but people usually, unless connecting onto an international or interisland flight (or GUM) don't make any connections domestically in HNL, which forced them to close the museum. There are little facts and tidbits throughout the airport, however, and this might keep you entertained for a little bit.

ALOHA

Edited to correct Cybersnack link.

[This message has been edited by slippahs (edited 07-20-2003).]
Old Jul 19, 2003, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Cross Post - Short Layover in HNL

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000303.html
Old Jul 20, 2003, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you Slippahs and Mary for your advice. I think our best bet is to try and get a later flight out of OGG (highly doubtful) or just stay put at the airport.

We are travelling with three children so an attempt at a quick getaway is immpossible.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:02 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Hawaii for 1 Day Layover- Best Things to See/Do?

Have only been in Hawaii once, 13 years ago. Will have 11 hour layover and would like to venture past Waikiki beach for example. Possibly renting car to explore. What would you recommend?

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click daily- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
Have only been in Hawaii once, 13 years ago. Will have 11 hour layover and would like to venture past Waikiki beach for example. Possibly renting car to explore. What would you recommend?

</font>
What are you interested in seeing? Any activities to do?

If you're into beaches, drive down to Kailua Beach on the East shore/Windward side. One of the most pristine beaches in the world... but do go early as parking can be sparse. Also take the H-3 freeway from the airport, which is that highway shown on the "interstate" Volkswagon commercial. Also, Haunama Bay near Hawai`i Kai has an enterance fee, but is a great place to go snorkeling -- the fish will actually nibble on your bathing suit.

If you're into historical attractions, visit the USS Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri both at Pearl Harbor. Admission to the Arizona Memorial is free but on a first come, first served basis, so get to that one early as well. USS Missouri has an admission fee but there are Entertainment coupons you can get in the Coupon Connection under FT Miles for 50% off up to four people. For more information on both historical attractions, do a search on this board and you'll unearth many threads.

For shopping: Visit Ala Moana. Kinda touristy, but it's a shopping mall. Or, if you don't mind venturing out to Waikiki again, visit the DFS Galleria as well as the many other shopping blocks out there.

Or, how about a drive around the island? You can probably make it around within 9 hours if you don't make too many stops. Taking a drive out towards Hawai`i Kai side and around towards Waimanalo would allow you to see Sandy's Beach, Haunama Bay, Sea Life Park, Makapu`u, etc. Then you'd pass Kailua Beach and Lanikai (with a little detour), then onto Kualoa side... then onto the North Shore where you can stop off for some shave ice at Matsumoto's, and then Haleiwa. Then make your way back through the pineapple and sugar cane fields stopping off at the Dole Plantation on the way.

There are many things you can do on O`ahu for 11 hours as opposed to connections like 4/8 hours (see earlier threads).

If you're booking a car, try priceline to see if you can get a great rate of about $30-35. See www.biddingfortravel.com for more information on how to bid effectively.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:25 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Thanks slippahs!

Great ideas in a nutshell. I have printed out your suggestions and will be locating places on the map. Always wanted to visit North Shore but at this time the waves are down now. I have done Haunuama Bay already but wouldn't mind going back.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:49 pm

It's best to consider the USS Arizona Memorial ONLY if you are able to arrive very early. We were there 2 weeks ago and the wait to go to the Memorial was 3 hours at 11am. They cut off distributing tickets around 1pm. I'd hate to see you drive there with the few hours you have only to be disappointed.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
OK, so now I've got a long layover in HNL. Any suggestions on how to spend it?

I finally decided to take the good advice provided regarding my changed flight back to the mainland, with a resulting rather tight connection. I'm now on the 7:55 PM AA flight to ORD, but I'm due in to HNL at 4:36. Is that enough time to leave the airport and do something interesting? If so, what? And if not, is there anything good to do in the airport (besides finding a seat and reading)?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
We once caught a cab to Pearl Harbor and did the USS Arizona tour during a layover. I forget how long we had though...I think it may have been 5 hours, which is more than what you have available, so it might be a bit tight for you to make it.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If I read things correctly, you have a 3.5 hour layover in HNL. My own $.02 is that's not enough time to do anything outside of the airport. The rush hour traffic in the area would make getting anywhere in a timely manner difficult - plus, you'd have to re-clear security.

Perhaps FT slippahs could bring bring a ukulele over and seranade you while you wait. I'm sure the minutes would jusy FLY by...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 8:45 pm

We're traveling on Sunday evening, so unless you have strange work habits in HNL, we shouldn't have to worry about rush hour traffic.
On the other hand, we'd love a ukulele serenade...
Old Sep 3, 2003, 7:18 am

How about the one about the little grass shack?

But seriously, IS there anything to do at the airport? Shopping? Massage? Art gallery? Massage? Or is the layover long enough to leave the airport? Remember, we will be depressed: leaving paradise for Massachusetts in November...
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:19 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">But seriously, IS there anything to do at the airport? </font>
As someone who once spent 12 hours at HNL (long story), I'm a little too familiar with the airport.

There is an aviation museum that can keep you busy for about 30-45 minutes. They have a pretty interesting video on Pearl Harbor and some displays. It's free, but they request a donation.

There are supposed to be free hula shows in the main lobby, but I've never seen them.

I do always hit the florists and buy some proteas to bring home. I can get the minks at Costco now, but I like bringing them some of the others home anyway.

There is a nice garden you can hang out in and enjoy the solitude.

Unfortunately, HNL seems to be one of the few airports that don't have massage concessions. Perhaps there's an opportunity there.

This website has a list of what you can expect in restaurants and other shops. You can enjoy some Lappert's.
http://www.honoluluairport.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.