Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Need some help/advice booking flights for honeymoon [Big Island/HNL]

Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I'll be getting married in early July and we've decided to visit Hawaii for our honeymoon the day after the wedding. I've been saving up all my points and have managed to rack up 220 K + in points with Chase which I can transfer to a few different airlines. Now I'm hoping to surprise my future wife with first class tickets so I need the saviness from folks on this site to do so in the most efficient manner possible.

We're flying out of Buffalo and we're headed to the Big Island for about 6 days and then on to Oahu for a few days. Given that I'm looking for first class travel I'm trying to minimize the # of connections and found a few flights on United that seem to fit our schedule (BUF to CHI to Hilo airport). When searching through the Chase Sapphire travel site it looks like an economy ticket is priced at 85k points per person while the same search on the United site shows as 45K for economy and 90K for First Class. So, I'm thinking I should just book thourgh the United site? Also, reading through some other forums some people suggested finding United flights and then calling Singapore Airlines since they'll charge fewer points for the same flights.

I'm hoping to book the trip in the next few days and would greatly appreciate any advice on this. It's not a big deal if I end up using all of my 200 K + points but preferably I'd like to save as much as possible to pay towards stuff like hotels and car rentals. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
We'll move this thread to the Hawaii [Destinations] forum for more insight on flight options.

IIRC ITO-mainland is only served from LAX.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Posting from the Big Island
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:25 am

The easiest way to book your flights is to go on the United website, find your flights and then transfer your UR points over to United and book them.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:23 pm

- There are no one-stop options from BUF to the Big Island (either KOA or ITO). There are minimum two stops from BUF. However, there are one-stop options from YYZ.

- Most of the flights to Hawaii are domestic first class, not internationally configured first class. Domestic first class is not fancy at all and not worth it in my opinion.

- There are some exceptions when some routes are operated with internationally configured first or business class, but it is nearly impossible to get on those flights on miles.

- Look at the paid first class tickets. They start from $625 from YYZ.

- If you are looking to use UA miles, look in the "Saver Award" column. There are no flights on UA the Big Island which have two Saver First class seats available in early July. No availability.

- You may see some dates available in the "Saver Award" column, but those are "mixed cabin", meaning some segments are in economy class, even though you are paying first class mileage.

- The "Standard Award" are 90k one way per person in First class which is not worth it. Just pay cash instead.

- You may piece together a mileage ticket in first class if you route via West coast with two or more stops. It is inconvenient and availability is extremely limited. For example, here are some flights that have two award seats available in First class to Big Island:

July 12 SEA-KOA AS807

... and that is all. You may get better luck routing via HNL or OGG.

Better just pay cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.