Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" (2016+) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Older posts on this topic may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/284368-archived-renting-cars-maui-options-questions-suggestions-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" (2016+) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
I haven't been to Maui in many years. It used to be that you were not allowed to drive a rental around the south coastal route, through Kuapo, on highway 31 I think it is. But I don't see any reference to this online in about 5 years, so I'm wondering if the road has been improved or the rental companies have dropped this restriction? When I was there decades ago, this was stated very clearly at the rental site. Anyone have up to date info? Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I haven't been to Maui in many years. It used to be that you were not allowed to drive a rental around the south coastal route, through Kuapo, on highway 31 I think it is. But I don't see any reference to this online in about 5 years, so I'm wondering if the road has been improved or the rental companies have dropped this restriction? When I was there decades ago, this was stated very clearly at the rental site. Anyone have up to date info? Thanks!
I asked posted this question in here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...l#post28615680

And looks like the ban is still in effect.

Not surprising after I looked up this road and found this web page: http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-...i-highway.html
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:05 pm

How the heck do you guys decide between Hertz National and Sixt when having status between them all? Will be at OGG and HNL next month, not sure who to go with. PC at Hertz, Exec with nat'l and Diamond (i think its called) with Sixt.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 26, 2024 at 5:10 am Reason: non Hertz-specific posts moved from that forum
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:36 pm

Just a plug for those staying in Wailea - if you do not need a car everyday and want to save some mula. Booked the Avis about half a mile from the Grand Wailea - booked a sport car, and was given the option of a T Top Jeep or a convertible Camaro. Took the Jeep. Also, they let you park in their lot and save you $70 a night on parking.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godawgs
Just a plug for those staying in Wailea - if you do not need a car everyday and want to save some mula. Booked the Avis about half a mile from the Grand Wailea - booked a sport car, and was given the option of a T Top Jeep or a convertible Camaro. Took the Jeep. Also, they let you park in their lot and save you $70 a night on parking.
Interesting idea. I didn't even realize there was an Avis over there.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Interesting idea. I didn't even realize there was an Avis over there.
Yeah, it's an Avis/Budget office tucked away - good vehicle selection and can save you several hundred bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.