Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to FS Lanai - how to go about it

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Tried that already.

Kihei is not an option. It's gotta be either airport or near lahaina harbor.
The Maui Beach Hotel is too far from the airport/too expensive? It really is pretty close to the airport.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by 747FC
The Maui Beach Hotel is too far from the airport/too expensive? It really is pretty close to the airport.
Can't remember the hotel but isn't Kihei on opposite end of the island from the airport?

Any thoughts on Old Lahaina house? It seems fairly close to the harbor.

Also, does the ferry to Lanai fill-up in advance? Wondering if I can just walk-up and buy tickets.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Can't remember the hotel but isn't Kihei on opposite end of the island from the airport?

Any thoughts on Old Lahaina house? It seems fairly close to the harbor.

Also, does the ferry to Lanai fill-up in advance? Wondering if I can just walk-up and buy tickets.
Google Maps is your friend.
Don't know Old Lahaina House
Don't know about ferry.

Are you really staying at the FS? Seems like you are going through a lot of effort to avoid a relatively minor charge when FS is $800+ a night.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Google Maps is your friend.
Don't know Old Lahaina House
Don't know about ferry.

Are you really staying at the FS? Seems like you are going through a lot of effort to avoid a relatively minor charge when FS is $800+ a night.
Google maps is your friend as well. Perhaps you should look up driving distance between Kihei to OGG before you start making recommendations.

Yes, I am staying at FS and it's closer to $1200/nt. But money doesn't grow on trees... not for me atleast.

If you can't be helpful, nobody is forcing you to post.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:05 pm

Google maps is your friend as well. Perhaps you should look up driving distance between Kihei to OGG before you start making recommendations.
Honest question, because I find your entire query a bit confusing. Have you looked on Google Maps to see the driving directions from OGG to Lahaina Harbor? It's not like they're all that close to each other. Unless for some reason you were planning on taking the northern route over (the southern route is more commonly used), Kehei isn't very far out of the way.

Or are you flying into JHM (Kapalua/West Maui), not OGG (Kahului)?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Honest question, because I find your entire query a bit confusing. Have you looked on Google Maps to see the driving directions from OGG to Lahaina Harbor? It's not like they're all that close to each other. Unless for some reason you were planning on taking the northern route over (the southern route is more commonly used), Kehei isn't very far out of the way.

Or are you flying into JHM (Kapalua/West Maui), not OGG (Kahului)?
Sincere answer...

JHM is not an airport for any of the mainland airlines and only serves inter-island airlines. I am flying into OGG and I have looked it on the map. It is on other side of Lahaina bay harbor.
With only few hours on the airport, I want to minimize taking multiple cabs and want to stay either walking distance from airport or the ferry.

You are right Kihei isnt that far out. But taking a cab at night to Kihei and then taking another cab in morning at 5am just adds to logistics and reduces rest time after a 12 hour journey. So ideally, I'd like to spend the night at some cheap place near Lahaina harbor and then leave in the morning.

I am a little perplexed why has this been so difficult for some people to understand. Not trying to be offensive but this is Flyertalk! We thrive in over-optimizated planning... don't we?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:12 am

I think I see the problem, it's one of geography. I made a map that may help:

The bay/harbor near OGG airport is Kahului Harbor, not Lahaina Harbor. Lahaina is over on the west side of the island; Kahului is in the middle on the north side, Kiehi is in the middle on the south side.

If it were me, with the early morning departure from Lahaina, I'd look for a hotel close to there. But I can see why Kihei is a reasonable consideration. But if your boat is departing from Kahului Harbor, then yes I'd stay in Kahului and not Kihei or Lahaina.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I think I see the problem, it's one of geography. I made a map that may help:

The bay/harbor near OGG airport is Kahului Harbor, not Lahaina Harbor. Lahaina is over on the west side of the island; Kahului is in the middle on the north side, Kiehi is in the middle on the south side.
(without having looked at your map.... )

I don't believe there are ferries to Lanai from Kahului Harbor. And, doesn't make sense either for boats to go around the island.

If it were me, with the early morning departure from Lahaina, I'd look for a hotel close to there.
Agreed. A reasonably priced accommodation from Lahaina would be optimal. that's been my goal all along. Not sure when/where did a geographical misunderstanding happen.

I land at OGG, cab to Lahaina, stay somewhere for 6-7hrs, take ferry to Lanai. End.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:02 pm

JHM is not an airport for any of the mainland airlines and only serves inter-island airlines. I am flying into OGG and I have looked it on the map. It is on other side of Lahaina bay harbor.
This part threw me off. It reads like you think OGG is by Lahaina Harbor, when it's not. It made me think that you were thinking that OGG and the harbor were next to each other. While it's true that there is a harbor near OGG, it's Kahului Harbor, not Lahaina Harbor.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Not wanting to irriate the OP, but i'm also confused. HNL to LNY seems to run $80-90 airfare. If I could spend $4,800 on a hotel room--I would want to get there. not spend time, cab fare, room for 6 hrs, ferry, etc.

Well each to their own.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hawkxp
Not wanting to irriate the OP, but i'm also confused. HNL to LNY seems to run $80-90 airfare. If I could spend $4,800 on a hotel room--I would want to get there. not spend time, cab fare, room for 6 hrs, ferry, etc.

Well each to their own.
So do I... but there is no ferry to Lanai when i arrive. so i am forced to spend a night in Maui. Anyways, booked a cheap hotel near the Lahaina harbor.

Hoping FS is everything I hope it to be...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
so i am forced to spend a night in Maui..
The horror!

What's your hurry with the daybreak ferry? What are you going to do on Lanai at 8:00am?
Why not enjoy the morning on plebeian Maui and take a later ferry?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.