Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Christmas Trip to Oahu & Big Island

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Myself and my two children (boy 15 -- girl 11) are visiting my brother who lives in Waianae on Oahu. We are flying out on 12/22 and returning on 1/3. We are staying with him in a small condo. He has suggested that we visit the Big Island and see the Volcano. I figure we will need 2 days on the Big Island. I have heard the Volcano is amazing, but I am worried that our vacation will be too harried if we visit the Volcano after Christmas. People's thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I do visit the Big Island, when is the best time to buy the tickets and what is the best airline to fly.

Also, my daughter wants to swim with dolphins. Is something like this available in Hawaii. My son has a lot of boy scout in him, and he is mainly interested in exploring of any kind. Also, any other tips for the trip would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
to reduce the "harried" feeling, do the Big Island at the end of your trip and return home from there.

Volcano sightseeing:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ii_Hawaii.html

Your daughter can swim with dolphins at the Kahala Hotel.

Best time to buy Interisland tickets is the present. They only get more expensive. Fly Hawaiian Airlines for the best on-time performance and reliability.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
And Book your Rental Car ASAP!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

747 Have already bought tickets, so I can't end Hawaii stay with trip to Big Island. Am thinking, I may simply skip it this time and go some other time. (Or possibly gamble for something like standby -- Realize it would be a longshot during Christmas season, but I hate to have to buy tickets now when I haven't had time to experience Oahu.) There are plenty of things to do in Oahu, and the surf should be up on the North Shore. Thanks for the tip about the dolphins.

JA610 Thanks for the tip about rental cars. However, my brother, who says he rarely uses his car, has told me I can use his.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaileyB
747 Have already bought tickets, so I can't end Hawaii stay with trip to Big Island. Am thinking, I may simply skip it this time and go some other time. (Or possibly gamble for something like standby -- Realize it would be a longshot during Christmas season, but I hate to have to buy tickets now when I haven't had time to experience Oahu.) There are plenty of things to do in Oahu, and the surf should be up on the North Shore. Thanks for the tip about the dolphins.

JA610 Thanks for the tip about rental cars. However, my brother, who says he rarely uses his car, has told me I can use his.
If you still are planning ongoing to the Big Island you need a car for sure so book it ASAP. You should also consider getting a copy of Big Island Revealed.

And as others have stated Hawaiian Airlines is your best option for inter island flights,

Enjoy your Trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.