Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii w 300k Ultimate Reward points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Hawaii w 300k Ultimate Reward points

So we have 300k in chase travel points and are looking to go the beach in February. We usually go to st Martin, Aruba, or Miami but the wife is pregnant so we need to stay away from Zika. Our best bet looks to be Hawaii.
Not sure if we can do a family of 4 from Boston with airfare and hotel. Any tips on using these points?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Plenty of options, but need more details. Length of trip? Business or economy class flights? Basic hotel, upscale, or luxury? Age of children?

By the way, there are reports of Zika just about anywhere in this hemisphere. Aruba and St Martin are not exactly running rampant with Zika, and no more likely than Hawaii. Even Hawaii has "reports of Zika." Don't let that spoil your vacation.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Kids ages are 5 and 4. Looking for a week or a week and a few days. If right near the beach we don't need a super nice hotel but a nice hotel isn't bad if it has nice pools for the kids. Flying economy

Hawaii doesn't have any local transmission while the caribeean does.

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
The lowest redemption amount options for Chase transfer partners are going to be Singapore/Korean for flights (united or delta metal), and the lowest hotel redemption is likely Hyatt. Take a look at availability during your desired dates on those chains, that should give you a good start. Do you have any hotel status?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I can't figure out the mileage poknts from Korean/Singapore airlines sites, any idea how many?
No special points for hotels but i always could get another credit card, don't think I could make a min spend in time though
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this topic is specific to Hawaii, we'll move this to the Hawaii (Destination) Forum.

beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by petergriffen
I can't figure out the mileage poknts from Korean/Singapore airlines sites, any idea how many?
No special points for hotels but i always could get another credit card, don't think I could make a min spend in time though
Go to the two airline fora and search for their award chart. You can also find the charts by logging into the airline's website. The basic way that partner sites work is you find "saver" seats on the airline you want to fly, say DL, then transfer UR pts to KE. Then call KE and feed them the flts you want to book.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:52 am
Original Poster

There charts are no explict enoth, I think I'll need to call

Anyone have any hotel recommendations
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
There charts are no explict enoth, I think I'll need to call

Anyone have any hotel recommendations
Your question is too open-ended. Do you know what island you're going to? Do you have a handle on what airline to use?

I'd use UA and book 4 r/t tix at 45K miles each to the island of your choice. Then, worry about hotels. Air first, hotels second.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:59 am
Original Poster

You are right. What I was trying to accomplish is flying to Oahu or the big Island and staying in a nice hotel on the beach for 300,000 points.

If I have to spend 180,000 points to get there I don't think 120,000 will get me a hotel that's why I was trying to do the Korean or Singapore airlines but looking into it I don't see any flights from Boston to Hawaii flying those airlines using points
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You are right. What I was trying to accomplish is flying to Oahu or the big Island and staying in a nice hotel on the beach for 300,000 points.

If I have to spend 180,000 points to get there I don't think 120,000 will get me a hotel that's why I was trying to do the Korean or Singapore airlines but looking into it I don't see any flights from Boston to Hawaii flying those airlines using points
That's not how it works: You would redeem KE or SQ miles for travel on their U.S. partners -- AS and DL for KE; UA for SQ. (Even if KE or SQ flew from the Mainland to Hawaii, they would not be permitted to carry passengers locally on that route because of U.S. cabotage regulations.)

KE would be the best value: just 25K miles roundtrip per person in Economy. But the tough part will be finding lowest-tier award seats on AS or DL, as those are the only award seats for which you can redeem KE miles.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
What I was trying to accomplish is flying to Oahu or the big Island and staying in a nice hotel on the beach for 300,000 points.
If I have to spend 180,000 points to get there I don't think 120,000 will get me a hotel...
Do you have Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve?
If not, get one of them.
Find the flights using 180,000 points/miles, or less, to either Big Island or Oahu.
With flights secure, try to rack up a few more UR Points.
Search Chase UR site for hotels. There are tons of choices both islands.
On Oahu, Hilton Hawaiian Village is on Waikiki Beach and great for kids.
If you can get flights to Big Island, Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel is the best you can do to be on beach within your budget.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you can fly out of Montreal instead of Boston, Delta is offering a $440 roundtrip fare to HNL.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm finding surprisingly good award availability for four people traveling in February between BOS and HNL at the 22.5K miles redemption rate each way. If that is, in fact, DL's lowest-tier redemption rate between BOS and HNL (it's hard to tell, as DL no longer publishes award charts), then those seats should be available for just 25K KE miles roundtrip.

Perhaps someone on the FT DL forum can confirm DL's lowest-tier redemption rate on that route.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm finding surprisingly good award availability for four people traveling in February between BOS and HNL at the 22.5K miles redemption rate each way. If that is, in fact, DL's lowest-tier redemption rate between BOS and HNL (it's hard to tell, as DL no longer publishes award charts), then those seats should be available for just 25K KE miles roundtrip.

Perhaps someone on the FT DL forum can confirm DL's lowest-tier redemption rate on that route.
Dl forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.