Wiki Posts
Search

Kauai: AT&T or T-mobile

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status

We will soon be visiting Kauai again and it's time to order some prepaid SIM. Is there overall better coverage on T-Mobile or AT&T networks for (LTE) data, particularly at the beaches and scenic spots?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I never had any problems the last time I was there with AT&T.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Our AT&T iPhones had perfect reception on Kauai. Used the GPS maps app in the car and it worked perfectly.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've been to Kauai numerous times and have never had a problem with AT&T. I know where the AT&T store is but can't recall seeing a T-Mobile store anywhere on the island.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
My Verizon phone worked OK.

DD
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: PLT AA 2MM, Silver US, DL, NW

tmobil is available at Costco
i travel between Kauai and the mainland 5 or 6 times per year. I have tmobil and it has improved enormously in the last year. there are a few dead spots but not in tourist areas
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
My Verizon phone worked OK.

DD
+ both of our Verizon phones worked great on Kauai, better than our service at our Mainland home in fact.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't think you need to waste money pre-ordering SIM cards. Upon arrival, just drive to the Walmart and buy a Straight Talk, Net10 or Tracfone (the latter will be the cheapest) SIM kit and the $45 monthly unlimited plan.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't think you need to waste money pre-ordering SIM cards. Upon arrival, just drive to the Walmart and buy a Straight Talk, Net10 or Tracfone (the latter will be the cheapest) SIM kit and the $45 monthly unlimited plan.
Thanks, last time we were at the Walmart their SIM selection was not good, so we just ordered some Net10 SIMs for AT&T network that hopefully will be waiting at the rental office when we arrive. There was a $4 shipping charge though, oh well.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
In the islands in general, both ATT and VZW are perfectly fine. T-Mobile is weak in voice in a lot of areas, and Sprint can have slow data in some other places.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Just to update, we ordered a Net10 package to be sent to our rental agency but Net10 cancelled the order without informing us. So we ended up picking up the ATT SIM at Walmart which was quite a bit more expensive. Coverage was decent at most beaches, but as expected poor in Waimea Canyon and in the North past Hanalei.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.