Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Dengue fever on the Big Island (2015-16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dengue fever on the Big Island (2015-16)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
The number of cases reported (now perhaps 130) is the total number of people infected since the first reported case. It does not mean that all of those people are still having symptoms. This explanation is not obvious when hearing just the number of cases reported.

While 130 cases is a concern, worldwide the number of cases of dengue fever has increased dramatically since the 1960s, with between 50 and 528 million people infected yearly.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Those travelling to the Big Island, should understand that Dengue Fever has been present throughout the Island of Hawaii. Precautions should be taken for those travelling there:

http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/files/...HI_2015rev.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/Dengue/
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: HH Silver
Up to 213 cases now, and Waipio Valley went from "minor risk" to "closed to visitors" overnight. Overlook still open.

Watching this, hoping it is sorted out by June when my next trip is scheduled.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Those travelling to the Big Island, should understand that Dengue Fever has been present throughout the Island of Hawaii. Precautions should be taken for those travelling there:

http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/files/...HI_2015rev.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/Dengue/
Sounds like a state of emergency has now been declared.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ha...-idUSKCN0VI0G2
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:53 pm

I'm planning on going in a month, and staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Beach. No cases there, at the moment, but that could change. What freaks me out is that there is a state of emergency declared and I don't want it to ruin our trip because we're so freaked out about being bitten. Can anyone comment on if tourists should really start cancelling trips because of this?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Kona/Waikoloa area is really dry. I am a mosquito magnet and have never been bitten there.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The Kona/Waikoloa area is really dry. I am a mosquito magnet and have never been bitten there.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Despite there being cases there, it doesn't mean that there's a high chance of being bitten there. I think that's something to consider. Thanks for the reassurance!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, that's what I figured. Despite there being cases there, it doesn't mean that there's a high chance of being bitten there. I think that's something to consider. Thanks for the reassurance!
Those people may have been bitten elsewhere.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:57 pm

As far as I know, the dengue fever epidemic is essentially finished. The last case was about three weeks ago: everything you need to know is here. Absolutely no reason to loose even one minute thinking about it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Emergency proclamation signed to bolster fight against dengue fever on Hawaii island

Gov. David Ige today sought to dampen tourist fears over mosquito-borne illnesses such as dengue fever and the Zika virus by signing an emergency proclamation that beefs up mosquito-fighting efforts on Hawaii island, which will free up staff to return to Oahu, Kauai and Maui.

Ige’s emergency proclamation releases $2 million that will include funding for 10 more positions for Hawaii island beginning next week....
More: https://t.co/RZK5Xmar7b
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
As far as I know, the dengue fever epidemic is essentially finished. The last case was about three weeks ago: everything you need to know is here. Absolutely no reason to loose even one minute thinking about it.
Last case was six days ago, friends that live in more remote areas around Hilo are still concerned. But for the average visitor, I agree, no need to panic.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: HH Silver
There is a good analogy of this on TA. Your chances of being killed by a drunk driver, or getting in a serious car accident are about 100 times higher than getting Dengue on the island, yet no one thinks about cancelling their trip because they might be killed by a drunk driver.....
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Total Rewards Diamond, & others
Originally Posted by pokee
We just returned from our trip to the Big Island staying at the Hilton Waikoloa (2/2-2/10). The only thing we saw about Dengue was in the Waipao Valley -- the road down was closed off to everyone except local residents. The overlook was still open. The person I spoke with there at the road's entrance said they were spraying in a few days. We didn't see a mosquito one anywhere while we were there on the island.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by udontknowme
A common misconception. Minnesota mosquito borne diseases include La Crosse encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, West Nile virus and Jamestown Canyon virus. All can be serious.

Keep the skeeters off you, and kill those you see/hear. And, yes, some of the mosquito varieties in Minnesota seem like you need a .45 rather than a swatter.
Hahahaha oh man agree with all these points
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Seems like it is still a concern. 2 new cases yesterday. I have friend coming over from KOA to visit me in HNL on Thursday so I'll see what he has to say.

http://bigislandnow.com/2016/02/18/b...-grows-by-two/

"After two days of no new confirmed dengue fever cases on the Big Island, the count rose by two on Thursday.

The total number of confirmed cases of dengue on the Big Island has risen to 258, with three of those cases listed as “potentially infectious” by the Hawai’i Department of Health.

Cases listed as “potentially infectious” have an onset of illness date that ranges from Feb. 8 to Feb. 13."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.