Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Hurricanes and Storms early September 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Hurricanes and Storms early September 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Question Hawaii Hurricanes and Storms early September 2015?

Well we're supposed to leave for Hawaii (to spend a week in Kauai) on Wednesday next week.

I thought the trip was going to be thwarted by Tropical Storm Kilo, but fortunately it seems to be passing, now it's looking like Hurricane Ignacio is on a perfect track for the big island.

So since I've never travelled in a Hurricane situation - if the Hurricane heads for the island what is the higher water mark for my trip insurance to kick in - and when should I cancel?

If it misses, and goes south or north is my trip going to be ruined by torrential rain? And if yes is that still an opportunity to use Trip Insurance to delay my trip until later?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MrMosby
So since I've never travelled in a Hurricane situation - if the Hurricane heads for the island what is the higher water mark for my trip insurance to kick in - and when should I cancel?

If it misses, and goes south or north is my trip going to be ruined by torrential rain? And if yes is that still an opportunity to use Trip Insurance to delay my trip until later?
Why would you want to cancel at all? Assuming you have a ticket for a flight the airline will cancel the flights if they cannot operate due to weather and accommodate you by rebooking on the next available flight.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:41 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As a lot of the OP's concerns relate to the weather conditions on the Hawaiian Islands, let me move this to the Hawaii forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Why would you want to cancel at all? Assuming you have a ticket for a flight the airline will cancel the flights if they cannot operate due to weather and accommodate you by rebooking on the next available flight.
Because I only have a very small window that I can use for vacation, and I don't want to shorten my trip (rather would reschedule).

And why go if the weather isn't desirable... No point in being stuck in a hotel.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'll be vacationing on the east side of Oahu next week, too.

What happens to tourists if there is an evacuation order issued on Oahu?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'll be vacationing on the east side of Oahu next week, too.

What happens to tourists if there is an evacuation order issued on Oahu?
Never heard of an Oahu-wide evacuation order. If a hurricane is targeting an island, shelters will be opened for those whose homes may be structurally unsound or who may need assistance. A list of shelters will be published in the Star Advertiser and on the web.

Are you doing a vacation rental?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Never heard of an Oahu-wide evacuation order. If a hurricane is targeting an island, shelters will be opened for those whose homes may be structurally unsound or who may need assistance. A list of shelters will be published in the Star Advertiser and on the web.

Are you doing a vacation rental?
Yes, we're renting a cottage in Kailua. It's 1 block from the beach, so if the hurricane comes in from the East, we'd be on the front line.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Looks like a third one is on the way, ugh. Calling travel insurance this weekend to see what they say.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

From a tourist perspective, how do evacuation orders work. We're staying in Kauai in the Grand Hyatt.

I can't cancel because I'll lost my free nights at the Hyatt that weren't covered under my Amex Travel Insurance :-(
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:39 am

Leaving 9/24 for a surprise wedding anniversary (glad the Much Better 1/2 doesn't know about this). Planning to stay 4 days in HNL for Pearl Harbor then move on to Maui (res's made w/ HR [pts+cash] but we might switch to GH Kaua'i [pts+cash/just pts] if possible) for 5 days then another 4 days on either Kaua'i/Maui depending on whether/not I have made the switch beforehand.
All of this being said, as a 1st timer, I have put off making a res w/ Island Air so far for the inter island hop to Maui (as I believe that this is all that goes to Maui). I would like to know if this is the wise thing to do? With 3 hurricanes possibly going that way, I'm wondering how busy of a Sep will Hawai'i be having hurricane wise (this is a reason that I never book prepaid hotel rates)?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel staff will have a contingency plan in case of a hurricane. Usually teliing guests stay away from windows or gather everyone in a ballroom away from windows. If you are in a B&B, the owner may have a plan, or look in telephone books for evacuation sites if you are close to ocean or prone to flooding.

Hawaiian Airlines also goes HNL to OGG, with 30 flights a day each way, and with a 90+% market share compare to Island Air, who flies ATR-72s compared to Hawaiian with Boeing 717. If you choose to go to LIH instead, Hawaiian is the only carrier for HNL - LIH.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by MrMosby
Well we're supposed to leave for Hawaii (to spend a week in Kauai) on Wednesday next week.

I thought the trip was going to be thwarted by Tropical Storm Kilo, but fortunately it seems to be passing, now it's looking like Hurricane Ignacio is on a perfect track for the big island.

Post a copy of the policy- either the example on line (or a link) or black out your personal info.

It is utterly impossible to get any useful advice otherwise.

Ive been reviewing policy language for a few weeks, perhaps 35 plans reviewed. It will ALL depend on the policy language.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by transportprof
Yes, we're renting a cottage in Kailua. It's 1 block from the beach, so if the hurricane comes in from the East, we'd be on the front line.
Current tracking has it coming to the north, but there will probably be some rain an winds.

You might want to ask the rental agent or owner about where the nearest shelter is relative to your cottage.

While it doesn't look like we are going get a direct hit, you might want to be prepared. And, stay out of the ocean until it passes...
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: DL, UA
Flight-wise, how much of an impact will this have on arriving/departing flights at HNL? I'm supposed to be flying in to HNL Wednesday afternoon. While the latest track shows the actual hurricane a few hundred miles offshore of Oahu, the outter wind and rain bands will probably still reach the islands. Any experience with how the airlines typically deal with moderate wind and heavy rain at HNL?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
From my perspective, the weather in Hawaii this year has been very weird.

My longest trip ever was in March - 2 weeks in Waikiki. We had normal weather for 3 days and then it got cold. Yes, cold - as in near freezing at the slightly higher elevations. It stayed that way for the rest of our visit. I was happy the temps went into the low 70s. I was on the beach exactly once the entire 2 weeks.

A friend has been posting the temps and they've been in the 90s. That used to be a rarity, and I've seen him do it more than 3 or 4 times this year.

Now it's storm after storm...

I'm going again at the end of Sept and I sure hope I get good ole normal Hawaii weather this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.