Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Need some advice as to the best way to tackle the Big Island!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Aloha Hawaii experts! Need some advice as to the best way to tackle the Big Island! I will be renting a car when we fly into ITO on August 27th and then doing an evening at Volcano National Park with a dinner and stay at Volcano House with my husband and 2 kids... and, er... that's as far as I've got... I have been lurking on here for some time so have chalked up many must sees - like that Green Sand Beach that is really difficult to get to! The only difficulty that really stands out right now is that that particular beach is close to the furthest point south on the island and the rest of the stuff we want to see is mainly an east v. west sort of thing ... Is there a good approach to driving a bit north of Volcano National Park to see the sites there ... then turning around on ourselves and driving all the way down south for the green sand beach, and then follow up to west side of the island from there to all the loveliness there? Really stumped for a decent itinerary (do not mind excellent hotel stays along the way to the resorts of the west side - but our flight departs KONA back to HNL on Monday 31st at 5pm and we do want to unwind a bit) ... Am I asking too much? Trying to cram too much in? We live in London and I want to see as much as we can: waterfalls, black sand beaches, maybe throw in some zip-lining, ... you get the picture ... Any/ALL help so very much appreciated!!! Cheers!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 18, 2015 at 4:30 am Reason: split out from other thread
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by bettertoturnleftthanright
Aloha Hawaii experts! Need some advice as to the best way to tackle the Big Island! I will be renting a car when we fly into ITO on August 27th and then doing an evening at Volcano National Park with a dinner and stay at Volcano House with my husband and 2 kids... and, er... that's as far as I've got... I have been lurking on here for some time so have chalked up many must sees - like that Green Sand Beach that is really difficult to get to! The only difficulty that really stands out right now is that that particular beach is close to the furthest point south on the island and the rest of the stuff we want to see is mainly an east v. west sort of thing ... Is there a good approach to driving a bit north of Volcano National Park to see the sites there ... then turning around on ourselves and driving all the way down south for the green sand beach, and then follow up to west side of the island from there to all the loveliness there? Really stumped for a decent itinerary (do not mind excellent hotel stays along the way to the resorts of the west side - but our flight departs KONA back to HNL on Monday 31st at 5pm and we do want to unwind a bit) ... Am I asking too much? Trying to cram too much in? We live in London and I want to see as much as we can: waterfalls, black sand beaches, maybe throw in some zip-lining, ... you get the picture ... Any/ALL help so very much appreciated!!! Cheers!
The drive from Volcano to Kona or Kohala area is long enough, especially if stopping at South Point, Captain Cook, and various beaches. Starting it by driving to Akaka Falls, north of Hilo, would add maybe 3 hours to an already 4-5 hour trip (depending on your stops). I would suggest starting your day as early as comfortable by hiking Kīlauea Iki Trail, then head out.
This should put you in Kona/Kohala late afternoon/early evening to check in to your hotel. Highly recommend Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel.
Plan day trips from hotel to Mauna Kea, Pololu Valley Lookout (Zip Line Companies on the way), Waimea, Waipio Valley, maybe Akaka Falls, but don't forget to just hang out at the beach.
That's why i suggest Hapuna Beach Hotel, as it is right on the best beach on the island.
Good eats right up the road in Kawaihae: Cafe Pesto and Kohala Burger & Taco.

Aloha
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a million for your very valued input! I am so excited!!

Incidentally, how long do you reckon said daytrips would take from Hapuna Beach Prince?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 17, 2015 at 5:16 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

It's probably at least a 3 hour drive each way from Hapuna to Volcano, and that's just driving - not stopping at any of the beaches. I've always preferred to book a B&B for one night in Volcano. Going the other way around via Akaka Falls / Waipio Bay make it maybe a 4.5 hour drive each way - just driving it without stops.

And there are several beaches well worth stopping at via the Southern route, including Place of Refuge, Kealakakua Bay (IMHO, these are the two best snorkeling spots on the Big Island), and the black sand beach at Punalu'u, which is one of the best places on earth to see Sea Turtles.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Aug 14, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by bettertoturnleftthanright
Incidentally, how long do you reckon said daytrips would take from Hapuna Beach Prince?
From Hapuna, trips could range from as little as 10 minutes up the road to Puukohola Heiau, a sacrificial temple built by Kamehameha I in 1790, up to 3-4 hours round-trip if you go as far as Waipio Valley. Even if you do not make it all the way up to Mauna Kea summit, consider a drive on Rt 200 (the Saddle Road) at least as far as the summit turn-off. The Saddle Road, with Mauna Kea on one side and Mauna Loa on the other, is as close to driving on the moon as you are going to get. Unless you also visit Haleakalā on Maui.

There are so many different options, I recommend you invest $25 and read both:

Hawaii The Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook
Amazon Amazon

Lonely Planet Discover Hawaii the Big Island (Travel Guide)
Amazon Amazon

Both are available from Amazon and many other sources.

For Zipline Companies just google Zip Lines Hawaii.
Also, Helicopter tours are available right from the Hapuna Hotel property.

Depending on your kid's ages, once they discover Boogie Boarding, they may not want to leave Hapuna.

Last edited by BOSOGG; Aug 12, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

I can't thank you enough for all your help! God I love Flyertalk.��
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Not entirely clear what your hotel arrangements are but would suggest splitting between Volcano and west coast. One day can involve a drive from one side to the other.

We did that a few weeks ago, and went across the north side, which took most of a day with stops. The south point and black beach are all easily within a day trip from Volcano, so you could do that with one of the days.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
This is dated and Kona based but may give you some ideas:

Day Trips From Kona

These notes cover 3 different “road trip” suggestions. The Northern trip can be done in ˝ to ľ day but the other two require a full day’s drive. Gas up before returning to save worries.
Northern Route

Take 19 north. There is a lava tube almost exactly 2 miles north of the airport stoplight on your right. Be careful if you slow or stop.
Follow along the coast and make a left at 19/270 and follow that road into Hawi.
In Hawi, check out Bamboo Restaurant (closed Monday) or Luke’s Place at 270/250 (closed Tuesday), if you want lunch up there. See the King Kamehameha statue.
Follow 270 to end of road and enjoy view of Pololu Valley.
Come back along 270 to 250 and make a left towards Waimea.
Enjoy the view of cactus, Mauna Kea and the observatories and a view down the coast.
If still wanting lunch, Merriman's (closed Sun) just before you get to Waimea, or other places in town.
Waimea is home to the sprawling Parker Ranch.
Perhaps go along 19 East to the Waipio Valley (Tex’s drive in - Honoka’a has malasadas)
Return by 190 down the upper road and see Maui and the old lava flows below you.
Southern Trip

Leave Kona early at perhaps 7am. Go south to milepost 111 and head downhill on Napoopoo Road.
At the 3-way intersection, continue downhill to the bottom. Make a right, go a short distance and see Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook Monument in distance).

Leave the bay and continue along the ocean road for about 3 miles. (If snorkeling, just before the state park tollbooth, there is a right turn and the snorkeling spot called two-step).

When you leave the park, make a right to go up the hill and then a left onto Painted Church Road. Watch carefully for a right turn into the Painted Church (less than ˝ mile).

Leave the church and go back to previous road and go left up the hill again and make a right onto 11. There are few stores/restaurants along the way. An hour or so later, stop at Punaluu for bread, etc and past that make a right to the black sand beach at the golf course and sign.

Exit the beach on the far end, get back to 11 and continue towards the volcano.

Stop at P.T. Café in Pahala (up the road from the hospital) Kamani at Pikake Streets, snacks and drinks (used to be called Tex’s).

Continue on 11 to Volcano town. Perhaps see the winery. Get gas in town

Turn right to enter the park (be careful at that intersection). Go directly to the Welcome Center. Continue to steam vents and the observation point. Parts of the park may be blocked off based upon recent volcanic activity.

Exit park and return to Kona (did you get gas?)

Eastern Route

(FAST ROUTE)

Take 19 north along coast.
At about 2 miles north of the airport stoplight, watch on right side for a lava tube!
At Kawaihae, take 19 through Waimea to the east side.

(SCENIC ROUTE)

Go up Henry, past Safeway (or Palani) and take 190 past Waikoloa to Waimea, continue along east on 19. We do NOT recommend taking route 200 across the island and your rental car contract may specifically restrict that!

After Waimea you may want to take route 240 to see the Waipio Valley from the overlook. Then perhaps stop at Tex’s (Honokaha) for malasadas.

Watch for Route 220 (on your right) to Akaka and Kahuna Falls. Go through town (make a left then right). Don’t leave valuables in car. They are doing some construction, so you may only see 1 waterfall. Still, worth the trip!

Exiting 220 you will continue to the right (Southward) towards Hilo.

At Hilo, take Waianuenue Ave to the falls, then back down to Hilo’s main road.

Stop for shaved ice along Kamehameha Ave, Café Pesto or Ken’s House of Pancakes [across from the airport at the route 19 and 11 intersection] (they have lots besides pancakes).

Get gas across from airport!

Past Hilo to the South, stop at Pana’ewa Rainforest zoo to see the white Bengal tiger. The place is somewhat small but entrance is free and where else will you see a tiger on vacation?

Perhaps drive down 11 to 130 (Kea`au) to the Kalapana lava viewing area (info 961-8093) and a 20-minute walk over lava and road. You may see steam, smoke and glowing before sunset, but certainly better later at night. Parking from 2pm to 8pm. The last car must be out by 10pm. You need good shoes, some water and flashlights.

You got gas, right?

Back up Route 130 to Route 11.
Make a right and come around the top route, following 19 all the way through Waimea
Continue along the coast on 19 and then south to Kona.

Note that there is a separate $5 for entrance to each of the Place of Refuge and Volcano Parks.
Kalapana viewing area hours are 5pm to 10pm (Last car in at 8pm). [This info may be outdated] This may change based upon recent volcano activity.
INFO LINE: 808-961-8093
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
We drove from Kohala down around the southern tip of the island and ended up in Volcano and it was roughly a 3.5-hour drive, parts of it were scenic for the non-drivers. We thought about stopping at the Green Sand beach, but between the fact that 4WD was basically required, and it would add another 45 minutes to the drive (according to the GPS) plus whatever time we spent there, we decided against it.

I would say, it really depends on the age of the kids and their tolerance for driving... plus realize that the Big Island is not friendly for night-driving, IMO, especially not any of the windy-twisty roads.

Starting from scratch, I would ask what time you are arriving in ITO, it makes a bit of a difference if you will have any time to do activities that day.

----
If you must see green sand beach, here is an idea for a rough itin:

27th: I would stay the first night in Hilo and focus on activities north of Hilo, to see waterfalls, ziplining, and some stunning coastline.

28th: More Hilo activities. In the evening, head south to Volcano (30-40 minute drive, you almost certainly need to arrive before dark) and see the glowing crater/Jagger museum at night. Spend the night in Volcano B&B.

29th: Get up the next morning and do the Crater Rim Drive in Volcano National Park. You're basically driving down from the top of the current crater all the way to the ocean where you can see the steep black cliffs that break off into the sea. Depending on how much you sightsee, it could be anywhere from under 2 hours to 4+ hours. We took a picnic lunch and ate at one of the picnic sites overlooking the ocean.

After lunch, drive around the south end of the island, stopping at green sand beach. Stay at a hotel south of Kona for the third night. If you stay / have dinner at the Sheraton, you can see the nightly manta ray feeding at Rays on the Bay. (Probably easier than a night snorkel with your packed itin.)

30th - While you are south of Kona, you will probably want to snorkel by the Captain Cook monument, plus they have coffee plantations and mac nut plantations. Rent a kayak in Keahou Bay. Or just chill at a beach for the day. Lots of stuff to do in the area, so I'm glossing over it. Maybe head up to Kona, spend some time there if you want to do some tourist shopping.

Head north at the end of the day and spend the night at a resort in the Kohala area.

31st - Chill at beach in your Kohala resort. I love the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel or Fairmont, they have a nice snorkel area and some historic fishponds / petroglyphs if you are into that. They also have nice pools for the kids. Alternatively, the Hilton Waikoloa is great for small children, they have a very sheltered lagoon that is full of sea turtles where you can swim/snorkel/paddleboard, as well as extensive swimming pools. But IMO, the Hilton is a bit Disney-ish, sprawling with a monorail, and feels very packaged.

Arrange a late checkout at 2-3 and spend your last day relaxing.

----

If you can cross the 'drive around the southern tip and see the green sand beach' off your list, it will save you half a day in the car. We only went to a black sand beach, but IMO, the dark sand was hotter and your kids just look dirtier after playing in the sand (probably the same amount of dirty as a white/tan sand beach, it just looks worse ) It was interesting to see, but I wouldn't go an hour out of my way just to see a black or green colored-sand beach.

FWIW, if you do choose the 'skip the green sand beach' option, it's a lot kid-friendlier itinerary with only one hotel hop and much shorter car rides. In that case, I would change up the itin to:

27th. If you arrive early, sightsee around Hilo (ziplining, waterfalls, etc.) Plan to arrive at Volcano B&B before dark. See glowing crater/Jagger museum at night. Bring clothes for damp/rainy chilly weather.

28th. Do Crater rim drive early, finish up by lunch. Then drive north through Hilo and finish off any "touristing" you missed the first day.
Option A) Plan to stay a second night in Volcano B&B - I highly recommend Volcano Acres Ranch if you can do the 2-night minimum stay. You also might consider a Hilo hotel if you prefer a hotel hop to backtracking to Volcano.
Option B) Head west and stay the night at a Kohala Resort.

(Getting to the west side of the island, I would actually go through Waimea for a slightly longer but more scenic drive versus driving over the mountain, which was bleak.)

29th. Kohala resort activities. Possible historic fishponds/petroglyphs if the kids will enjoy it. Stay in Kohala resort. Possible night snorkel with manta rays near airport?

As a green-sand beach substitute, there is a small public-access black sand beach (Black Sands 59?) in a private gated neighborhood in the Mauna Lani development in Kohala. You just ask the gate attendant for a beach pass. It isn't a great swimming beach or anything (the snorkeling would be great if you managed to find a time when the water wasn't rough) but it will serve to check it off your list if you want to see a bizarre-looking beach. <shrug>

30th. Head down south to see Kona and Captain Cook monument. Return to Kohala resort for the last night.

31st. Get a 2 or 3 pm checkout and spend the morning at the beach relaxing.

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 23, 2015 at 1:20 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
Note that there is a separate $5 for entrance to each of the Place of Refuge and Volcano Parks.
It's now $15/vehicle for Volcano Park. You can buy a $25 annual pass for those two and Haleakala, if you're planning to go to all of them.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by drewguy
It's now $15/vehicle for Volcano Park. You can buy a $25 annual pass for those two and Haleakala, if you're planning to go to all of them.
Thanks for the update. I need to get time to review and update this.

I have the Senior Pass so yearly fees mean nothing to me anymore.

After hours the Volcano Park leaves the gate open but there is no one to collect fees. Last time I went at night, there were lights on in the toll booth but it was only the cleaning crew :-)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Drive slow, and take it easy. The Hilo area is lush, but WET (and as a fellow Brit living in Big Island, I tend to avoid it). The Kona side has some stellar beaches; if you have a slightly larger car/jeep/small SUV take the slow down Kehaka Kai State Park and walk right towards Mahaiula - my favorite beach.

- Definitely do a hike down Pololu valley; well worth it, especially follow the trails up into the next valleys.. incredible
- Volcano NP is nice, and make sure to get there later in the day to see both sunrise and after sunset at Jagger Museum
- Mauna Kea (Visitors Center only if you have rental car) is also well worth it.. Get there for sunset, walk up the hill to the right to watch the sunset. Walk down for the 7-10pm public telescope viewings. Temps will be <5C, so bring a jacket and some jeans
- Drive down Kekaha Kai state park road (very rough, semi-paved, so only if you have a SUV/larger car). Near the end, take the 3-4 min walk to Mahaiula Beach... On a weekday you may be the only one. If you're up for another 20min walk past Mahaiula you can get to Makalawena. Mahaiula has lots of trees so you can stay shaded, but Maks has nothing
- Beach 69 (Waialea), Hapuna and Kua Bay (Manini'owali) are also stellar

Enjoy! PM me if you want more tips.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
After hours the Volcano Park leaves the gate open but there is no one to collect fees. Last time I went at night, there were lights on in the toll booth but it was only the cleaning crew :-)
That is true - not sure what time they pack up, but they weren't there in the evening. True at a lot of national parks I've been to. (I even once beat the rangers to the gate at Arches in the morning.)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Buy a good guide book. The one from Wizard Publishing is good.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:34 pm

If you go up to Mauna Kea, do remember that it is pretty high and altitude may be an issue. We drove up to Haleakala earlier in the year and I was surprised to find myself pretty affected. Take plenty of water and go slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.