Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for a 3 week Trip, first timer..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

Aloha
I am planning for a 3 week trip to Hawaii (dez-Jan). To be honest, The TV show hawaii 5-0 (and lost) was a movtivation....But I am lost at the possibilities, maybe you can give me some suggestion about great places to go?
We (a couple,35) look for two places to rent. We absolutly don't need nightlife / middle of tourists and main things.

We want to swim/snorkel in the sea, maybe take some surf lessons.
We want to see some scenery, hiking, biking in the mountains. So there should be some nature within drivable distance.

I think places on two islands, a bit remote, with access to sea and parks/mountains within driving range (which is for me 1 hours drive). Shopping / village / small cities nearby.

I would be very happy to receive some insights and tips. Currently I am totally lost.....

Thanks very much
Wombelero
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Based on your description of what you're interested in, I'd suggest you do a little research on Kauai, or possibly the Big Island. Maybe split time between the two?

The interesting thing about the Big Island is it has just about every type of climate on earth. It's a pretty interesting drive all around the outside of the island, from the beaches and lava flows at Kona, to the ranches of Waimea, through the gorges on the north side, the waterfalls near Hilo, and the volcano.

Lots of scenery, hiking, biking, waterfalls, lava flows, mountains, etc. on both.

Kauai has tons of parks, waterfalls, hiking, etc.
The Big Island has Volcano National Park, with some good hiking plus the bonus of a volcano.

The Big Island also has some excellent snorkeling. I have not seen a lot of surfing outside of Oahu or Maui, but others can comment on that.

I'm mostly familiar with Maui and the Big Island, but hopefully that helps a little until others add on.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Wombelero
Aloha
I am planning for a 3 week trip to Hawaii (dez-Jan). To be honest, The TV show hawaii 5-0 (and lost) was a movtivation....But I am lost at the possibilities, maybe you can give me some suggestion about great places to go?
We (a couple,35) look for two places to rent. We absolutly don't need nightlife / middle of tourists and main things.

We want to swim/snorkel in the sea, maybe take some surf lessons.
We want to see some scenery, hiking, biking in the mountains. So there should be some nature within drivable distance.

I think places on two islands, a bit remote, with access to sea and parks/mountains within driving range (which is for me 1 hours drive). Shopping / village / small cities nearby.

I would be very happy to receive some insights and tips. Currently I am totally lost.....

Thanks very much
Wombelero
Welcome to Hawaii!

All of the main Hawaiian Islands have wonderful natural scenery, hiking and surf opportunities.

The Hawaii Island (formerly known as the "Big Island" before it became politically incorrect to refer to it by that moniker) has the most diverse ecosystem around. It has tropical rainforests and deserts in close proximity. Snow-capped mountains and surf within a relatively short drive. The best beach on all the islands is the one fronting Mauna Kea Resort and the Hapuna Resort.

All of the other islands have their own charms. On Maui, you can hike through a dormant volcano, Haleakala. On Kauai, you can hike the Na Pali trail to get to Kalalau

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalalau_Trail

On Oahu, if you stay out at the Turtle Bay Resort, you will be outside of the main tourist areas and near wonderful natural environments. One nice thing about Oahu is that if you want a break from hiking, biking and surfing, you can see museums and other historical treasures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=USS_Arizona_Memorial

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/

Note about the time of year during which you are coming: It can be rainy at that period, so if you are going to be hiking, make sure that familiarize yourself with the trail, weather reports, and have a cellphone that can call 911 (our emergency number). Take emergency supplies. We have too many reports of people who need to be rescued or recovered because of lack of knowledge and preparation.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 21, 2015 at 1:03 pm Reason: Beach recommendation
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I also feel Kauai and the Big Island are your best best. On Kauai virtually everything is within an hour drive, unless you are staying at one end of the road in which case you would have to drive about 1 1/2 hours to the other end. If you stay in the east side of the island, you can reach everything within an hour drive.

The Big Island requires more planning to have less than one hour drive. But a stay in the east side or near the volcano would give you access to a lot of the island within an hour.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
The Big Island is probably my favorite place to visit in the world!

Personally, I would probably split my stay on the Big Island. Spend several days on the east side near Volcano National Park and use that as a base to do the adventurous stuff on that side.... and then book in the Kona area to enjoy the beaches and life on the more active part of the island.

I would love to have more than a week on the Big Island.... an amazing part of the United States!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If you want to actually see some of the places shown in Hawaii 5-0 and Lost, you'll have to spend some time on Oahu.

The beach used for filming Lost is there. I had the pleasure of visiting it when they were still shooting and saw the set. It's on the North Shore and close to the Turtle Bay Resort mentioned above. The location is stunning, and even though they're not shooting, I still go to that beach at least once a trip, and sometimes twice.

Most of the Hawaii 5-0 scenes are shot all over the island. My parents saw them shooting in the middle of Waikiki in February, but they can be anywhere on the island.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta(SM)(1MM), Hilton silver
Smile Hawaii

I would recommend Maui and stay in either Napilli or Kapalua. These are quiet areas and are still close to your list of activities.
I would avoid island hopping.
Rent a car through Costco travel.
Try vrbo.com for rental listings as an alternate to hotels.
I would also avoid redeye flights.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golfinglimey
I would recommend Maui and stay in either Napilli or Kapalua. These are quiet areas and are still close to your list of activities.
I would avoid island hopping.
Rent a car through Costco travel.
Try vrbo.com for rental listings as an alternate to hotels.
I would also avoid redeye flights.
LOL...you've basically hit every point of the trip I have coming up in a few weeks. Staying on Maui the whole time, rented in Napili via VRBO, and I'm on a redeye home.

I feel like 3 weeks on Maui is too long for me though. Not sure about the OP. But why not do two islands in 3 weeks? 10 days on each is great, and it's a short flight in between (lose half a day). Pairing any other island with the Big Island makes a great trip as it gives you a lot of diversity in the trip.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the valuable insights! As it seems flights are available with my miles and Hawaii is very much possible.
As it looks at the time we will try an rent house on two islands and have 7-10 days each.
Big Island and Maui or Kauai seems to be great.

Oh man....options and possibilities and whatnot. Can't wait to get there. Any more tips and insights are very much welcome.

Wombelero

Let me know if you need suggestions for Switzerland
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
With that much time (very jealous!), I would definitely split between 2 islands. If you do want a taste of Lost/5-0, I'd staple 2-3 days on in Oahu at the end if you are set on that (as you'll most likely be flying in/out of HNL if you are coming internationally). Aside from that, definitely take a look at what Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island have to offer. I haven't been to Kauai for a long time, so my memory may be rusty, but it is definitely less populated and more remote than the other two. Whereas Maui and the Big Island both have some population centers, Lihue (which is the city you fly into on Kauai) is a pretty sleepy town with not much to do. Gorgeous scenery to see, and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, but if you're looking to trek into 'town' at all, Kauai isn't the island for that.

If you do consider spending all your time on one island, the Big Island is the place to do it - so many different parts of the island to see, and the farthest you'll ever have to drive in one shot to get somewhere is ~2-2.5 hours.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I would echo choosing Kauai and the BI based off of want you are looking for.

I know you mentioned Lost and Hawaii 5-0, but you may not realize Kauai has probably had more movie scenes shot on it than any of the others. All the Jurassic parks movies, Raiders of the lost arc, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tropic Thunder and on and on. The opening sequence of Fantasy Island features Kauai's Wailua Falls and the Gilligan's island Pilot was shot on Kauai as well.

see link... for more

http://blog.hawaiigaga.com/index.php...lmed-in-kauai/

Personally it's Kauai's hiking and more laid back vibe that keeps me going back. Not to mention the fact that it is not as crowded as Maui and Oahu. Just google Napali Coast or Waimea Canyon photos is you want natural beauty. Both of these areas offer a multitude of hiking options.

Also once you settle on which islands I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Hawaii Revealed specific to that island.These are the best selling travel guides in the world for a reason.

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/

Hope this helps.

PS: I am headed to Switzerland in a couple months for my first visit and may pm you
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:27 am

Unless you are returning in the near future, any bucket list should include the Arizona Memorial.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Been There

I would suggest 1 week on Kauai and 2 weeks on the Big Island.

No more than a couple days on Oahu to see what it is like compared to the other islands.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the input. So far Big Island is set due to the diversity, active volcano etc. Still deciding for Kauai or maybe staying longer on the BI and a shorter stay on Oahu (as we arrive there after a very long trip).

Allow me another question for the experts: As we will arrive just before christmas: Where would you get the most "christmassy" feeling? I am guessing Oahu? Nice decorations, maybe even surfing santas etc?

Thanks, W
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Wombelero
Thanks again for the input. So far Big Island is set due to the diversity, active volcano etc. Still deciding for Kauai or maybe staying longer on the BI and a shorter stay on Oahu (as we arrive there after a very long trip).

Allow me another question for the experts: As we will arrive just before christmas: Where would you get the most "christmassy" feeling? I am guessing Oahu? Nice decorations, maybe even surfing santas etc?

Thanks, W
Christmas is a good time to be in HNL. For example:

http://www.honolulucitylights.org/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.