Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hotels with villas / cottages right on the beach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels with villas / cottages right on the beach?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:02 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Question Hotels with villas / cottages right on the beach?

Heading to Hawaii for the first time in ages and have a quite particular request.

Looking quite specifically for a beach-front cottage / villas that is *right* on the beach.

I've been looking at options like the three beachfront suites the Four Seasons Maui offer, but it's difficult in PR photos to ascertain quite how close to the beach 'beachfront' actually means, and I want to be super close, where we can literally walk down a few steps and be on the sand (like you can at many private villas).

Traveling with family so a full-service hotel is necessary.

If anyone has any great recommendations I would be very appreciative
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:28 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Can't remember as to Maui -- the hotel is perched on a hill/cliff in general, so it may not be right on the beach. Hualalai can get you close to the sand, but it's a relatively crappy beach so maybe not what you want. Doesn't Turtle Bay have something like that?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by nnn
Can't remember as to Maui -- the hotel is perched on a hill/cliff in general, so it may not be right on the beach. Hualalai can get you close to the sand, but it's a relatively crappy beach so maybe not what you want. Doesn't Turtle Bay have something like that?
I don't believe Turtle Bay's cottages are right near a beach. It is right near the water however but it's a rocky shore.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Post-Hurricane Iniki there were some significant restrictions placed on construction near sea level - rooms had to be above the 15-foot storm surge line as I recall. This means that you're not likely to find rooms *right* on the beach.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by slippahs
I don't believe Turtle Bay's cottages are right near a beach. It is right near the water however but it's a rocky shore.
Definitely away from the main beach at Turtle Bay. Stayed in the main wing some years ago and had a look around the cottages. Here's a photo from their website:

Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The Beach Front wing at the Mauna Kea Beach hotel on the Big Island would work. From the ground level one can walk right on to the grassy area and on to the beach. Perfect for families. Also, IMHO, the beach is one of the most beautiful in the islands.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:47 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Thanks all for your replies so far!

I hadn't considered the restrictions that might be in place due to past hurricanes but that totally makes sense and explains why I haven't been able to find much
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
It is not just hurricanes to worry about. We have earthquakes every day in Hawaii, some small and most do not create any kind of tsunami. Then you have the 6.8 and 6.2 we had in the same day a few years back. You just never know. Granted, the chance there is a tsunami here any particular time is EXTREMELY small. However, any quake in the Pacific could cause one.

When I looked for a house I made sure it was nowhere near the beach. Your mileage may vary.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:57 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Gaz
Thanks all for your replies so far!

I hadn't considered the restrictions that might be in place due to past hurricanes but that totally makes sense and explains why I haven't been able to find much
Besides the natural risks, I believe beaches are public, so that may also factor into leaving some buffer space from the sand to your back porch.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:55 pm

I replied to this yesterday but it did not get posted so second attempt....

Try here:

http://lavalavabeachclub.com/bigisland/

4 cottages right on the beach. Not sure if the services are exactly like a full service hotel but the place is really nice. There is a restaurant with live music right next door. Its in the Waikoloa resort area with shopping and activities just minutes by car or 10 - 15 mins walking distance away (walk towards the Marriot along the beach for short cut). The Marriot also has something like private cottages ocean front called Cabana Rooms but its (guessing) 30+ yards from the beach. The 4 cottages are ON the beach, steps from the water.

Aloha!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:22 pm

Royal Lahaina resort (which is on Kaanapali Beach) has oceanfront cottages. Hard to get an idea of them from their website --
http://www.royallahaina.com/Accommodations-Cottages.cfm

The main photo on TripAdvisor shows how the cottages are in the forefront and beachfront while the main hotel tower is in the background
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ui_Hawaii.html

No idea how nice they are inside -- I stayed there MANY years ago
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What is your budget per night? If Hualalai is in your range, I can arrange a villa-size room that is literally a stone's throw away from the beach with an unobstructed view and some nice amenities for you - but there is nothing anywhere (Hawaii, Florida, etc) that is literally "on the beach" except for the odd private residence-on-stilts you can still find on the NC Grand Banks that wasn't washed away by a hurricane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.