Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First timer to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Whatever you do, don't leave valuables in your rental car.
Not even in the glove compartment?

I wouldn't worry about any ocean creature unless you're going to beach with no lifeguard. If you stick to those, you'll be well warned of any hazards that may exist. IMHO, you're biggest worry is to be there when the jellyfish are in. I think they show up 2 weeks after the full moon. I would have to look it up. But even if they're around, you'll be warned.
So I guess as long as there is a large amount of people swimming at the beach then I'm safe?!

RE: towels. Most hotels provide guests with beach towels. Check when you arrive to see if they do. I've never seen towels offered at any beach.
So for towels, just bring one from the hotel I assume?

And speaking of where to store your valuables, I have a tour booked at the Kualoa Ranch for an ATV tour. I was wondering if there is a place to store your valuables there since I would hate to lug my camera, wallet and other pocket items. I 'm afraid that it will fall out of my pockets.

Thanks again
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by maortega15
Not even in the glove compartment?
Nothing, nowhere. I haven't looked lately, but there are stickers placed in the trunk of some cars saying not to leave valuables in the car. The state even has sign up in some tourist area parking lots.

So I guess as long as there is a large amount of people swimming at the beach then I'm safe?!
Generally yes, but if you are that concerned, I would stick to beaches with lifeguards who will put up signs if there's anything out there.

So for towels, just bring one from the hotel I assume?
Yes.

And speaking of where to store your valuables, I have a tour booked at the Kualoa Ranch for an ATV tour. I was wondering if there is a place to store your valuables there since I would hate to lug my camera, wallet and other pocket items. I 'm afraid that it will fall out of my pockets.
Sorry, I wouldn't know, but you should be able to call and ask what to do with your valuables.

FWIW - Pearl Harbor HAS locker storage, since you can't carry a bag in with you. Cameras are fine, but no purses or backbacks allowed.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Nothing, nowhere. I haven't looked lately, but there are stickers placed in the trunk of some cars saying not to leave valuables in the car. The state even has sign up in some tourist area parking lots.
It's not renting "per se" but I'll be using a "carsharing" kind of rental.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

So my trip is less than a month away and still have to figure out some activities.

Anyone recommend and water type of activities? Like jet-skiing, canoeing, or any other type of water sport?

Curious to know if the Dole Plantation is worth going to.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:09 am

I was just there with first-timer friends. We spent the bulk of our time on Maui, but had 3.5 days with them on Oahu. They were going to take the Pearl Harbor tour that also included circle-island, which included the Dole Plantation.

When we were finalizing plans, we decided to do a similar tour with them in our car , but to have more time to explore on the North Shore, we bypassed the Dole Planation.

It's a pretty big tourist trap - lots of buses stop there - and all that's really there are expensive trinkits and the corn maze.

So you be the judge
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:09 am
Original Poster

So my trip is in a few weeks time and I think i'm all set.

Just curious to know if anyone here has been to the Aloha Stadium swap meet. Looking forward to buying some souvenirs there.

Thanks everybody for all your contributions.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:31 pm

So my trip is in a few weeks time and I think i'm all set.

Just curious to know if anyone here has been to the Aloha Stadium swap meet. Looking forward to buying some souvenirs there.

Thanks everybody for all your contributions.
I have. Plenty of parking. Open on certain days. Not a must-do but it's relaxing activity for a morning or afternoon stroll especially if you were looking for souvenirs. Souvenirs are generally cheaper than elsewhere. If I do it all over again, I'd get a few more souvenirs there.

Took us a while to walk through all the vendor tents. Not a must do, but it's a relaxing thing to do if you got the time. I enjoyed it for my part. Have fun!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
I have. Plenty of parking. Open on certain days. Not a must-do but it's relaxing activity for a morning or afternoon stroll especially if you were looking for souvenirs. Souvenirs are generally cheaper than elsewhere. If I do it all over again, I'd get a few more souvenirs there.

Took us a while to walk through all the vendor tents. Not a must do, but it's a relaxing thing to do if you got the time. I enjoyed it for my part. Have fun!
Thanks for the tip! Any specific souvenirs I should go for?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

So I'll be travelling at the end of this week. Thanks everybody!

Any specific souvenirs I should go for? I'm looking at some T-shirts, and such but I'm really looking forward to the Macadamia Nuts!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:42 pm

I'm not much on souvenirs, so my only thoughts are: For young folks, plastic leis. For adults Kona coffee. The best coffee price I have found is at:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/don-quijote-...se+Supermarket

I don't know if they are available this early, but maybe a Chinese new year tee shirt. I usually get ours in Chinatown in a "shopping" area back through a walkway at the Chinatown bus stop going toward the airport. Hawaiian calendars are available, including one with females that will please most men. Sometimes this one is behind the counter at the ABC store.
Of course shopping at the stadium may locate all the above at better prices.
Have a great time!

Last edited by KenfromDE; Nov 29, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:44 am

re: Macadamia nuts.

If you can belive it, we found the best prices at Costco in the BAKING aisle - not the souvenier aisle. We buy 2 lb bags intended for baking. Most of them are broken in half, but for personal use they're more than just fine.

The upside is there is no salt added ^^
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
I'm not much on souvenirs, so my only thoughts are: For young folks, plastic leis. For adults Kona coffee.
What would be the best Kona Coffee I can get? I'm looking to get it for my friend.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

re: Macadamia nuts.

If you can belive it, we found the best prices at Costco in the BAKING aisle - not the souvenier aisle. We buy 2 lb bags intended for baking. Most of them are broken in half, but for personal use they're more than just fine.

The upside is there is no salt added ^^
Actually, I liked the flavored ones better especially the Kona Coffee. Unfortunately, I don't have a Costco membership.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:41 pm

What would be the best Kona Coffee I can get? I'm looking to get it for my friend.
Sorry but I don't know the best brand. For gifts I just get a 100% Kona. Never had a complaint. Long's Drugs in Ala Moana Center or just before Chinatown also have frequent sales on this (and booze). Slippahs would probably be the expert.

PS Please give a report!

Last edited by KenfromDE; Dec 2, 2015 at 9:46 pm
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
My Coffee Rant :-)

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Sorry but I don't know the best brand. For gifts I just get a 100% Kona. Never had a complaint. Long's Drugs in Ala Moana Center or just before Chinatown also have frequent sales on this (and booze). Slippahs would probably be the expert.

PS Please give a report!
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention something about coffee BLENDS. A 10% blend is 90% filler coffee. That other coffee is from overseas, perhaps Viet Nam, Pakistan, China or wherever. One of the two big blenders here does not pay more than $2 per pound delivered for that overseas coffee. That added coffee might also be Robusta (bitter) rather than Arabica (milder) coffee. They cover up the foreign coffee taste with flavors.

I am not personally against blends per se, as long as the public knows what is in them.

Many restaurants and resorts get "Kona" coffee from the company that owns the blending company. The servers think all coffee with the name "Kona" in it is pure Kona coffee. Often it is a blend. McDonalds and Jack in the Box had "Kona Coffee" on the menu but when the public found it was really a blend the companies had to change their signage.

If a package says 100% Kona it will be. If it doesn't say 100% it will not be and is probably only 10% Kona if that. Some companies choose the font for the 10% carefully. The first part of the percent sign can look like another 0 on the 10.

The same holds true for "Oahu", "Molokai", "Maui", "Kauai", "Kau" and other location-branded coffees. For a locational-named coffee, the product must at least 10% of that coffee to be called a blend from that region. If it says 100%, it must contain 100%.

A coffee labeled "100% Hawaiian" must contain 100% coffee from the state of Hawaii, but may be a blend of coffees from around the state. Hawaiian may also be coffee from a specific region that did not meet the strict grading for that region. Thus a 100% Hawaiian might all be from one farm in Kona but did not meet the strict grading to be called Kona coffee.

If you have an opportunity to visit any coffee farm I suggest it. You will learn how coffee came to the islands, how it grows, is picked, processed and roasted. Each farms coffee will taste a bit different just as wines do. It is fun to visit multiple farms to taste them.
AlEtRONt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.