First timer to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First timer to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
I'm still undecided on the Dole Plantation but considering it. What's dole whip?
Pineapple soft serve. It's refreshing and delicious :P The stop can be as short or long as you want.

I plan to snorkel in Haunuma Bay. Are there any other good places to snorkel or that's pretty much the spot? Many say get there extra early because it can get crowded especially parking.
Hanauma Bay is usually the go-to for snorkeling imo. I've snorkeled in a few other places but nothing better than the bay (could have just been a bad day/fluke but that was my experience) Getting there early is important if you are driving, and it's a little cooler in the daytime. Afterwards, make sure to drive out to Halona Blowhole on that side and enjoy the views and blowhole!

I might consider not going to a luau since I'm traveling solo. If I don't go, know any places that serve luau type food?
I really like Ono's Hawaiian. It's in Kapahulu so not too far from Waikiki. It does get pretty busy so you can always get it to go and bring it back to the hotel to eat.

For eats, the udon and poke place are all on my list. But maybe you can give me some more recommendations. I'm not a picky eater. Would really like to try what Hawaii has to offer.
Rainbow Drive In for plate lunches, Gina's Korean BBQ for meat jun and Hawaii KBBQ, Zippy's is always fun, Leonard's for malasadas (deep fried dough nut), Waiolas for shave ice, Cinnamons (in Waikiki) for breakfast and guava chiffon pancakes

Happen to know where I can get souvenirs aside from the swap meet?
EVERYWHERE in Waikiki lol. Duke's Lane is one of the few 'market' type places for souvenirs now. Otherwise you can walk around and find lots of souvenir shops.

And are there any beaches worth going to apart from the Waikiki beach where I'll be staying?
Waikiki Beach is about it in that area. You have to travel around to get to other beaches unfortunately.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:17 pm

I'm travelling to HNL next week and would be grateful if somebody could advise on my options to get to the Hilton Waikiki Beach from the airport at around 11pm (I'm travelling alone).

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:41 pm

Weather for first couple weeks of December (for Honolulu - other parts of the island will vary) is an average high temperature of 82. Overnight low 67-69. Keep in mind that it isn't the temperature that gets you here - even in summer the average high is only 89 and 91 would be hotter than normal! The problem is the sun hitting you more directly. You can stand in the shade of a telephone pole and feel fine, but step out and it can wear you down. Rain in Honolulu ranges from an average daily low of 0.012 in early July to 0.104 at the start of January. So you are going fairly close to the peak of rainy season (early December is about 0.087). But as with most places, you can have a long streak of no rain or rain every day. Usually you'll get rain in light showers that come and go when you do have rain. There is more rain on the North Shore and Windward coasts because the clouds hit the mountains and a lot never reaches Honolulu.

Dole Plantation is right on the way to the North Shore, unless you take the long way up the Windward Coast. So might as well stop in. They have souvenir stuff there too and refreshments. A big maze, a little train, etc. I've only gone through their garden area and the store though. More info at:

http://www.dole-plantation.com/

Lots of beaches in Hawaii! Some don't have lifeguards though. Waikiki beaches themselves vary a lot. Different sand textures. Just east of Waikiki and across the street from the big mall is Ala Moana Beach Park. More locals will be there compared to Waikiki. Less crowded from what I've seen. But nice beach. Hanauma Bay is not just a place to snorkel. It's a nice beach too. Lots of North Shore beaches well known for surfing (Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay, etc). Behind Waimea Bay is a nice little nature area (Waimea Beach Park or something like that).

Various beaches in Haleiwa. Oh, and just east of Waimea Bay is Shark's Cove - area where rocks block a lot of the water so you can wade in easily.

Heck, when I first came here, I just drove around the island, stopping at any beach that looked interesting. But like I said, some won't have lifeguards. Oh, there is Sandy Beach just past Hanauma Bay - but it is a rather dangerous beach so I don't go in the water there.

Don't do anything dumb. For example, it seems every so often so young guy will go over to a blowhole - ignoring warning signs - and have a wave knock him into the hole and die.

You can take a bus around most of the island (it doesn't go way out the west side for example. It takes about four hours if you never get off - at least that's how long it took about 10 years ago! It's bus 52 or 55 - same bus. It just changes its number at Turtle Bay on the North Shore. They go both directions and I'm not sure which may give the best views, but I'd guess going counter-clockwise may be best since, if you sit on the right side, you should have the best ocean view.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by tim0409
I'm travelling to HNL next week and would be grateful if somebody could advise on my options to get to the Hilton Waikiki Beach from the airport at around 11pm (I'm travelling alone).

Thanks!
There are taxis - you walk out from luggage claim, cross over the first few lanes to a median that separates them from more lanes going the same direction. That's where the taxis come. There are usually people there to help guide the line to the next taxi as it drives up.

On the upper level, there are buses that go to Waikiki (#20 and #19 but make sure you check the sign on the bus because both directions follow the same route through the airport). But normally buses won't take big luggage though I've seen exceptions if the bus isn't crowded. Also, that late you have fewer options.

On weeknights, bus 19 comes through at 11:01, 11:31, 12:01. It is 8 minutes later on weekends.

Bus 20 doesn't run that late. But like I said, trying for the bus (just $2.50 - exact change only) is risky.

If you do take a bus, you may want to ask the driver to tell you when you get to your destination.

Not sure what a taxi would cost. I think the last time I took a taxi to my home, it was around $23 - 26 plus tip. I live 5 miles from the airport. Waikiki is probably more like 7 or so miles from the airport.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
There is the Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hilton Waikiki in Waikiki. They are far apart, so make sure you know which one you are going.

If you only have carry on, taking Bus 19 is fine, it goes to both Hiltons. Late night will probably take you 45 minutes to the Hilton.

All buses have audio announcement and most buses have displays indicating next stops.

Be aware, Hilton Hawaiian Village is doing a lot of constructions on Kalia Road. The bus stop in front of Hilton is cancelled. Recommend getting off a stop prior, in front of Ilikai Hotel.

You can check real time bus arrivals at http://hea.thebus.org/nextbus.asp?s=913 if you are leaving HNL.

Circle Island bus routes 52 and 55 are no longer the same bus, they meet up on Haleiwa town.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reverted
Pineapple soft serve. It's refreshing and delicious :P The stop can be as short or long as you want.

Hanauma Bay is usually the go-to for snorkeling imo. I've snorkeled in a few other places but nothing better than the bay (could have just been a bad day/fluke but that was my experience) Getting there early is important if you are driving, and it's a little cooler in the daytime. Afterwards, make sure to drive out to Halona Blowhole on that side and enjoy the views and blowhole!

I really like Ono's Hawaiian. It's in Kapahulu so not too far from Waikiki. It does get pretty busy so you can always get it to go and bring it back to the hotel to eat.

Rainbow Drive In for plate lunches, Gina's Korean BBQ for meat jun and Hawaii KBBQ, Zippy's is always fun, Leonard's for malasadas (deep fried dough nut), Waiolas for shave ice, Cinnamons (in Waikiki) for breakfast and guava chiffon pancakes

EVERYWHERE in Waikiki lol. Duke's Lane is one of the few 'market' type places for souvenirs now. Otherwise you can walk around and find lots of souvenir shops.

Waikiki Beach is about it in that area. You have to travel around to get to other beaches unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply.

One of my friends who has been to the Dole Plantation says I should try the pineapple slush. But curious to know what is there to do at the plantation rather than going there for refreshments.

For Haunuma Bay, do I have to get tickets to snorkel? I plan to head there as early as I can.

Thanks for the eats. I have alot of places destined to try. Happen to know if its worth trying Kona Coffee? If so, where is the best place to get it and should I get it iced or hot?

For souvenirs, wheres the ideal place to get Macadamia nuts? I plan to buy a huge load and ship them. I assume the ABC Stores or somewhere else? Also, what souvenirs are ideal to bring back? Anything in particular aside from t-shirts and bags?

As for the beaches, I wouldn't mind driving around. Will do it mostly for gorgeous photos but wouldn't mind jumping in the pool if I deem safe to do so. Not really a beach guy. I'm more of a pool guy.

By the way, happen to know an ideal place to meet any local Hawaiian or Asian girl? Tinder is not cutting it for me unfortunately.

Thanks again for everybody's suggestions. Looking forward to my holiday.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the reply.

One of my friends who has been to the Dole Plantation says I should try the pineapple slush. But curious to know what is there to do at the plantation rather than going there for refreshments.

For Haunuma Bay, do I have to get tickets to snorkel? I plan to head there as early as I can.

For souvenirs, wheres the ideal place to get Macadamia nuts? I plan to buy a huge load and ship them. I assume the ABC Stores or somewhere else? Also, what souvenirs are ideal to bring back? Anything in particular aside from t-shirts and bags?
Dole Plantation is mainly a huge gift shop selling everything pineapple related. Their gifts are overpriced but I love their pineapple ice cream. If you are with a local, they have kamaaina discount in the shops.

Other than the shop, there a field with different kinds of pineapple on display, there is a train ride going around the plantation, and a maze around pineapple plants.

For Hanauma Bay, parking lot gets filled up quickly, so arrive early. Or take TheBus route 22 from Kalakaua Avenue. Parking is $1 per car. Admission is $7.50 per visitors and free for kamaaina. Then you have to watch a video on how to respect the nature before you can walk or take a tram down. Tram is $1 downhill and $1.25 uphill. Bay is closed on Tuesdays.

Cheapest place to purchase Macadamia nuts are Costco and Longs Drugs. Anywhere in Waikiki are rip off.
AlEtRONt likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks for the eats. I have alot of places destined to try. Happen to know if its worth trying Kona Coffee? If so, where is the best place to get it and should I get it iced or hot?
My favorite place for Kona coffee is Honolulu Coffee Company, right beside the Moana Surfrider hotel. They have really good 100% Kona and Kona blend coffee and if you get a seat by the open window right on Kalakaua, it is a great place to people-watch.
Costco, Sam's Club or Longs for macadamia nuts, hands down. With Walmart in the mix as well. Or my favorite store, Don Quijote, the Japanese discount store which has everything at cheap, cheap prices. Don't even think about ABC. Total rip off.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:27 pm

Didn't know the bus 52 / 55 thing was changed. Too bad since, if you want to do the circle island just for the views but not stop, you have to stop in Haleiwa to switch buses. If I read the maps right, both go all the way through the main area of Haleiwa so it isn't too bad.

Maortega, I'm not a big coffee drinker, but my friends who are always look forward to me coming back to the mainland to visit and bring Kona coffee. At restaurants (or stores to buy packages of it) be aware that they'll often have "Kona coffee" in big letters, but it is often only 10% Kona. The 100% Kona is considerably more costly. There are other Hawaiian coffees and some may prefer them on personal taste. I know there is Waialua coffee (town right next to Haleiwa). And Molokai coffee. Probably others.

If you are driving near Dole Plantation, there is a place right near there that carries an number of different kinds with samples as I recall. Don't recall the name of the place, but easy to get to. If driving back to Honolulu from Dole Plantation, just turn right at the first traffic light. The building is immediately on your left after making the turn. They have other stuff too, like shave ice, but I never tried their version.

Can't really tell you much about souvenirs since so much of that would be personal taste. You'll find coconuts you can literally mail without packing. Usually with colorful designs on them, but I would suspect they could get scratched up pretty good when shipping that way. Really, best approach is just to go places where they sell lots of souvenir stuff and see what options there are. That's one reason the Aloha stadium Swap Meet is a good place. Lots of tent type booths all around the outside of the stadium - sometimes more than one row deep. Lots of duplication, but I have found unique stuff too. Duke's Lane in Waikiki is sort of a much tinier version of it. Never compared the prices though. I have noted that shirts often have the collar tag cut which, I think, is a sign that it is "factory seconds". So should be a flaw in them someplace, but you can examine before buying and I never found anything wrong with any I bought. Only obvious flaw in anything I even saw at the swap meet was a beach towel that spelled one of the islands wrong.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 17, 2015 at 5:16 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies once again.

The coffee place is right next to my hotel so it will be really convenient to get a cop of coffee in the morning. Anything specific I should go for and try?

Moving on, anyone know where the best place is to get Macadamia Nut pancakes?

Also, what other activities are recommended? I'm leaning towards water sports.

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks for the replies once again.

The coffee place is right next to my hotel so it will be really convenient to get a cop of coffee in the morning. Anything specific I should go for and try?

Moving on, anyone know where the best place is to get Macadamia Nut pancakes?

Also, what other activities are recommended? I'm leaning towards water sports.

Thanks
The best banana macadamia nut pancakes (or just mac nut if you prefer) I have ever had are at Lulu's. It is on the corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu, right beside Kapiolani Park, upstairs above the ABC. Fantasic views as it is an open air place right on the water, and the banana-mac pancakes are awesome. Get a half order as you get 4 HUGE pancakes in a regular size order. I have tried them pretty much everywhere on the island and nothing even comes close to Lulu's. Make sure you ask for the coconut syrup as well.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I might consider not going to a luau since I'm traveling solo. If I don't go, know any places that serve luau type food?

For eats, the udon and poke place are all on my list. But maybe you can give me some more recommendations. I'm not a picky eater. Would really like to try what Hawaii has to offer.

Happen to know where I can get souvenirs aside from the swap meet?

And are there any beaches worth going to apart from the Waikiki beach where I'll be staying?
Actually, it is no big deal to go to a luau if travelling solo. Nobody is checking to see if you have a +1, and anyone who is should be minding their own business. That said, it is just having a drink on the beach, watching them take a pig out of the pit, lining up for a buffet dinner, and then watching a Hawaiian dance show, the kind that is very common in Hawaii.

Beaches - the very finest beach in Hawaii, and maybe the world is Lanikai Beach. More accessible is Sandy Beach, and I am very fond of Wahiawa - a convenient stopping point when driving around the island. I also love driving all the way up the west coast to Kaena Point State Park. It is very remote there, with a great pounding surf.

Food - I happen to love the Chinese food and Japanese Ramen that they have in Honolulu. It is better than in most cities in the US. The sushi is superb, and they have some great steakhouses.

Souvenirs - There's an ABC store on every street corner. Souvenirs galore.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeattleAl
Actually, it is no big deal to go to a luau if travelling solo. Nobody is checking to see if you have a +1, and anyone who is should be minding their own business. That said, it is just having a drink on the beach, watching them take a pig out of the pit, lining up for a buffet dinner, and then watching a Hawaiian dance show, the kind that is very common in Hawaii.

Beaches - the very finest beach in Hawaii, and maybe the world is Lanikai Beach. More accessible is Sandy Beach, and I am very fond of Wahiawa - a convenient stopping point when driving around the island. I also love driving all the way up the west coast to Kaena Point State Park. It is very remote there, with a great pounding surf.

Food - I happen to love the Chinese food and Japanese Ramen that they have in Honolulu. It is better than in most cities in the US. The sushi is superb, and they have some great steakhouses.

Souvenirs - There's an ABC store on every street corner. Souvenirs galore.
Lanikai is nice, but it's not THAT nice. On Oahu alone, I prefer Kailua next door (although I heard that Kailua lost a lot of sand in a recent storm). Bellows is also nice. Also, in the summer I prefer Waimea, but you can't swim it when the 20 footers are rolling in during the winter. On the Big Island, I prefer Mauna Kea and Punalu'u, and Hapuna is also nice (but not as nice as the adjacent Mauna Kea). And that doesn't even cover Maui and Kaua'i, which are strewn with great beaches.

And if you think Lanikai is the best beach in the world, might I suggest you spend some time in Thailand, at Railay Bay or Tonsai.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by SeattleAl
Beaches - the very finest beach in Hawaii, and maybe the world is Lanikai Beach.
Al, you've got to visit a few more beaches.
Lanikai is the finest beach in Hawaii, Maybe the World??!!

Not only is it not the finest in Hawaii, it's not the finest on Oahu, and many would rate it 4th when only considering it and it's next door neighbors, Kailua, Bellows and Waimanalo.

"Best" beach is very subjective, but my nominees on Oahu include Waimanalo, Makapu'u, Mokuleia, Waimea, and Sunset/Pipeline with the winner of best going to Sunset/Pipeline. Again, so subjective...try Halona, the little pocket beach next to the Blow Hole at Sandy's.
Finest in Hawaii, toss-up between Sunset, and Kalalau, but only if you hike into it. And if you make it that far, swim around the cliffs to Honopu.

Last edited by BOSOGG; Aug 17, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

Hello. I just booked the DblTree Alana Waikiki: 9/24-28 @ 40K pts/each (couldn't get the 5th night free b/c of no availability). Had to book over the landline (it showed the 40K online but couldn't book online (Anyway to still collect the 500pt online bonus/get compensated for the 5th night loss?).
This is for a secret wedding anniv before either moving on to GH Kauai/HR Maui for the actual anniv day. Staying here to visit Pearl Harbor (the main reason b/c I'm a Disabled Vet and it seems closer). After reading the majority of everything here, I'm now not planning to reserve a car until later (Has Uber arrived in HNL yet in case I don't take a shuttle?).
I would like to know how good of a hotel this is (even after reading TripAdvisor I'm still not sure). I'm HH Gold so what should I expect upgrade and free bkfst wise? I still have the HR Waikiki on hold for cash+pts. I'm wondering which is the better option? I will be Hyatt Diamond by the time I reach there and might divide the 4 days into 2 nights w/ pts+cash and 2/pts only.
I have Groupons for "Chef Chai,M,Cafe Julia and Tilia Aloha (bkfst)." Considering Nico's Pier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.