Wiki Posts
Search

Flying from upper Midwest to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Flying from upper Midwest to Hawaii

Its been 10 years since my wife and I have been to the Hawaiian Islands, and we are thinking of possibly taking our family of 4 (incl. 2 kids ages 2 and 5) back in 2015 late winter or early spring. At that time we flew direct MSP to HNL but I see that route is gone now. What flight plans now available would give us the best options, in terms of shortest flight times, best connecting airports, etc?

Thx!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
try
MSP-ORD-HNL UA or AA

MSP-DEN-HNL UA
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Skymiles, AA,
Is your destination HNL, or one of the other islands? There are now many choices from the west coast that fly direct to the outer islands.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Well...good question. As we have small kids, probably not looking to do multiple islands on one trip (minimize stress). Focus on one. Was thinking Oahu but could be swayed. Willing to consider any itinerary.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:10 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Well...good question. As we have small kids, probably not looking to do multiple islands on one trip (minimize stress). Focus on one. Was thinking Oahu but could be swayed. Willing to consider any itinerary.
Take a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...olidated+which
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
With AS, you get a one stop solution to the main islands ex-MSP. So if going to somewhere aside from HNL it can work out well (or even including HNL).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the thoughts....

I can see the routing from MSP to Hawaii is now far less desirable than when we went 10 yrs ago. No direct flights, and even connections are on old narrowbody metal.
Eh.

Has anyone booked RT's from MSP to LAX or SEA on Delta/Alaska, then caught a RT from there on Hawaiian? Hawaiian's seems to offer 330's for their flights......
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks everyone for the thoughts....

I can see the routing from MSP to Hawaii is now far less desirable than when we went 10 yrs ago. No direct flights, and even connections are on old narrowbody metal.
Eh.

Has anyone booked RT's from MSP to LAX or SEA on Delta/Alaska, then caught a RT from there on Hawaiian? Hawaiian's seems to offer 330's for their flights......
You would have to look at the OTA's to see if you can construct a ticket to make it worthwhile as HA does not offer a fare from MSP that I can see. If you want a wider body then consider flying through ORD with AA.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Some cautions

There are a few things I would mention to help you decide.

Oahu, as you probably know, is a lot like a large mainland city with lots to do, but lots of traffic.

Maui, Kauai and the Big Island are also great locations with lots of beauty but some cautions are needed. They all have some drop offs beside the highways and roads that can be dangerous. In one case, a family stopped along side the road to Hana and a teen boy jumped out and ran to the edge to look and fell to his death. http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...157018735.html

Please keep all children under direct supervision.

At present, there are restrictions getting too close to flowing lava on the Big Island and small children cannot go up to the Mauna Kea summit. Still there are lots to do on the Big Island for younger kids. Even if not staying at a resort, you can still swim in front of them. There can be LOTS of driving on the Big Island so if the kids don't ride well, perhaps another island might be a better choice.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You would have to look at the OTA's to see if you can construct a ticket to make it worthwhile as HA does not offer a fare from MSP that I can see. If you want a wider body then consider flying through ORD with AA.
Sorry for the elementary question, but...

Is it ok to 'construct' a ticket using different airlines? Say I fly MSP to SEA on Delta, then pick up a Hawaiian Flight to the islands (same day). Flip around for the return trip. Will Hawaiian red flag me since I will have not passed through security in SEA, but rather arrived via Delta? I don't want to do an oops.....
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Is it ok to 'construct' a ticket using different airlines? Say I fly MSP to SEA on Delta, then pick up a Hawaiian Flight to the islands (same day). Flip around for the return trip. Will Hawaiian red flag me since I will have not passed through security in SEA, but rather arrived via Delta? I don't want to do an oops.....
Nope, this is all good. However, with some big caveats:

-You will need to interline your checked luggage between DL and HA. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-6-1-12-a.html . Accordingly, you may need to claim your bag and re-check it in SEA.

-Airlines only have an obligation to protect you on another flight if your first flight is delayed/gone mechanical/canceled if you are booked on a single ticket. (And even some airlines no longer do this unless it's all the same metal). So if your flight on DL is delayed due to whatever reason going to SEA and you miss that HA flight, neither DL nor HA have any obligation to get you to your final destination.

If we ever need to book two separate tickets, it's always with an overnight connection. Or, with the understanding that I'm risking it.

Of course, a very nice agent may be willing to override these rules. But YMMV.

I do miss that MSP-HNL non-stop. Took it countless times on NW.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: no status

Very often Hawaiian codeshares with other airlines, so you will get the connection anyway and don't have to worry about checking in again and retrieving luggage. Though if you do it yourself you may have more flexibility with your schedule. Though now that I read your question again I'm not sure if I gave the right answer ...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Nope, this is all good. However, with some big caveats:

-You will need to interline your checked luggage between DL and HA. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-6-1-12-a.html . Accordingly, you may need to claim your bag and re-check it in SEA.

-Airlines only have an obligation to protect you on another flight if your first flight is delayed/gone mechanical/canceled if you are booked on a single ticket. (And even some airlines no longer do this unless it's all the same metal). So if your flight on DL is delayed due to whatever reason going to SEA and you miss that HA flight, neither DL nor HA have any obligation to get you to your final destination.

If we ever need to book two separate tickets, it's always with an overnight connection. Or, with the understanding that I'm risking it.

Of course, a very nice agent may be willing to override these rules. But YMMV.

I do miss that MSP-HNL non-stop. Took it countless times on NW.

All good things to think about, thanks! Now maybe not so keen on doing this, I am not a big risk taker when it comes to flights.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

May as well ask...

Can I do a one stop from MSP to Kona? Is that possible?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
May as well ask...

Can I do a one stop from MSP to Kona? Is that possible?
Yep. You could do it on DL, UA, AA, and AS, looking to connect somewhere on the West Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.