Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to get from Hawaii to mainland USA in January

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Need to get from Hawaii to mainland USA in January

Have tickets to Hawaii from Australia, but need to get from HNL to either LAX or LAS or anywhere else close by cheaply in 1st week of January returning approx. 3 weeks later.

Might be able to use ff points to go in one direction, but looking at Allegiant in the other maybe.

I know Allegiant have lots of extra charges, but they still seem cheapest.

They don't seem to appear on priceline.com ?

On priceline.com can you make an offer on one way travel & use an Australian credit card for payment ?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Have tickets to Hawaii from Australia, but need to get from HNL to either LAX or LAS or anywhere else close by cheaply in 1st week of January returning approx. 3 weeks later.

The first week of Jan may have less space since vacationers are heading back to the mainland.

Might be able to use ff points to go in one direction, but looking at Allegiant in the other maybe.

Allegiant will only be available to you via their website. They have fees for literally everything. If you can book a real airline at a reasonable cost, I advise you do so. Allegiant flights may be only seasonal

On priceline.com can you make an offer on one way travel & use an Australian credit card for payment ?

as far as I know, yes you can, but has only the mainstream airlines, excluding Southwest. Try it and see.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think Southwest flies to Honolulu. However, Hawaiian airlines (surprise, surprise!) does and it might be regarded as a discount carrier, hence not included on Priceline.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't think Southwest flies to Honolulu. However, Hawaiian airlines (surprise, surprise!) does and it might be regarded as a discount carrier, hence not included on Priceline.
Priceline is just another OTA until you start the name your own price thing and they should most definitely show HA in their regular results.

Also, I don't know anyone who considers HA a discount carrier really.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by hurryupandslowdown

You definitely have to be mindful of the fees with Allegiant, though if they end up cheapest even with the fees, they may be your best choice if strictly the lowest cost is your goal. But they are indeed only bookable on their own website.

Otherwise, all of the other airlines that operate either route are available through regular OTA bookings, except for a couple of charter airlines that only operate as part of package tours (e.g., Omni Air).

Southwest doesn't fly to HNL or any neighbor islands. Not sure of your final destination, but Alaska Airlines flies HNL-SAN and I've occasionally seen decent fares when searching around, might be worth checking at least if you're headed that way.

No idea if Priceline's bidding process accepts Australian cards - I would think so but give it a try and see.

Which airline programs do you have miles in?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I have lots of friends to fly Allegiant to / from Hawaii and they've been very happy.

Correct that there's lots of fees, but they're pretty clearly laid on on the website. Do a dummy booking, including the fees, and then compare others. I suspect you're find they're still the cheapest overall, provided you're not bringing the kitchen sink.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
need to get from Hawaii to mainland USA in January

You might be able to book one of Boyd Gaming's charter packages to LAS from Hawaii.

You might want to consider connecting in Bellingham, Washington (BLI, around 30 miles from Vancouver, BC) Both Alaska Airlines and Allegiant operate flights from HNL to BLI and BLI to LAS. Alaska routes its aircraft HNL-BLI-LAS so you should be able to make the connection.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
One other thing to be careful of with Allegiant is that many (maybe most) of their flights aren't daily, sometimes only 2 or 3 flights a week. If they have a cancellation, you're possibly in for a long wait.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I would advise against Allegiant Air (G4) because almost two-thirds of their fleet are MD-80's which have 1960's engines (PW JT8D). Hawaiian has pretty good service and they operate with newer 767's and A330's. Plus they have personal IFE.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:05 pm

A mod should probably move this to the regional forum (probably HI).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Discussion of air service to/from Hawaii is often discussed in the Hawaii regional forum and I'll move this thread there for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
I would advise against Allegiant Air (G4) because almost two-thirds of their fleet are MD-80's which have 1960's engines (PW JT8D). Hawaiian has pretty good service and they operate with newer 767's and A330's. Plus they have personal IFE.
One really, really gets what they pay for, and in this case. Hawaiian is worth it!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Allegiant does not fly to HNL using the Md-80s.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Allegiant does not fly to HNL using the Md-80s.
Whoops - I looked and they seem to use 757's to HNL - but still with the crap service of an LCC.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I would advise against Allegiant Air (G4) because almost two-thirds of their fleet are MD-80's which have 1960's engines
"1960s Engines?"

So what?

Seems to me it's the brand-new engines that have all the problems, not the older ones.

Regardless, Allegiant doesn't operate MD-80s to Hawaii - They fly 757s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.