Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Getting married in Hawaii! Without divorce papers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting married in Hawaii! Without divorce papers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Question Getting married in Hawaii! Without divorce papers?

Hi,

My friend is getting married in hawaii end of august.

She was previously divorced in NY state which was 5-8 years ago. I've been doing some research for her and it says that you need to show divorce papers, but she doesnt have that anymore. I tried googling around and there doesnt seem to be a definite answer if you really need these papers or not. Can she just get the hawaii marriage license and just say she was never married before to get through all the paperwork?

She is in fact legally divorced, its just that she doesnt have any of the papers.

thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by duckxtales
Can she just get the hawaii marriage license and just say she was never married before to get through all the paperwork?
Lying would be perjury, and could even invalidate her marriage.

Originally Posted by duckxtales
She is in fact legally divorced, its just that she doesnt have any of the papers.
It's trivial to get a certified copy.

I can't believe anyone would take a chance on something so imporatant just to save a few bucks.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
No, she doesn't need papers to prove she was divorced since it was 5-8 years ago.

From our marriage license website (http://health.hawaii.gov/vitalrecord...iage-licenses/:
"If previously married, proof of original divorce decree or death certificate needs to be presented to the marriage agent by the applicant if the divorce or death was final within 30 days of applying for a marriage license."

Glad to have your friend marrying in our state!

TF
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moving the thread to the Hawaii forum.

NewbieRunner
co-mod, CommunityBuzz
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:04 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You might want to tell your friend to get a certified copy of the divorce decree. Never a bad idea to have that.... not sure why she would not have kept the original document.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Some of my friends even framed their divorce papers !
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We got married last year in Honolulu and when we went to the official agent office to process application and get the paper work for the officiant to sign after the ceremony to process for license --- The agent made us raise our right hands and repeat an official oath that all information on application and information submitted, etc. was true and correct. So, I wouldn't risk perjury. Call or email HI gov marriage department and ask what to do.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
Call or email HI gov marriage department and ask what to do.
Probably too late. OP's friend married August last year... maybe.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Need
Probably too late. OP's friend married August last year... maybe.
Opps. So right. Didn't notice this thread had gotten bumped active again. Sorry.

Last edited by davesam12; Mar 24, 2015 at 7:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
They asked me for divorce papers when I applied for drivers licence. Said I didn't have them available, so I was told to bring then in in ten years, when I renewed. Didn't. No problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.