Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Special dinner recommendation for Big Island?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Aloha! We will be heading back to the Big Island for our 10th anniversary in October, and I'd love to have a really fantastic dinner to celebrate on the island. We haven't booked any of our hotels yet, so we could do this dinner (on a Thursday night) anywhere on the island. We will have our two year old with us, and he is usually well-behaved in fine dining situations.

Where would you go?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:13 am

For an excellent dinner, I'd go to the Holuakoa Gardens (and cafe) in Holualoa (just above Kailua-Kona: http://www.holuakoacafe.com/). Beautiful garden setting, ocean sunset view, koi pond/waterway to distract the 2 yr old. If you want "fine dining" (and the concomitant price), you could pick any of the upscale resorts, or a chain like Roy's (Waikoloa resort) or even Merrimans (Waimea and Waikoloa resort).
A lot of places are great food, but not "fine dining" (Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill, for example)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
For an excellent dinner, I'd go to the Holuakoa Gardens (and cafe) in Holualoa (just above Kailua-Kona: http://www.holuakoacafe.com/). Beautiful garden setting, ocean sunset view, koi pond/waterway to distract the 2 yr old. If you want "fine dining" (and the concomitant price), you could pick any of the upscale resorts, or a chain like Roy's (Waikoloa resort) or even Merrimans (Waimea and Waikoloa resort).
A lot of places are great food, but not "fine dining" (Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill, for example)
I would second Merriman's or Roy's
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas! Sounds like we should stay on the Kona side that night, as there are better dining options over there? It doesn't need to be "fine dining" per se, just hoping for some amazing food

thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
If you want a very special experience, try dinner at a Volcano:

http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/dining/

Not fine dining, but really, that does not exist on the Big Island. However, Roy's is great.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:40 am

If you are more interested in the view than the food, I would recommend Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont: http://www.fairmont.com/orchid-hawai...wnsbeachhouse/

Not that the food is terrible, it is just not memorable. But the view I will never forget!

My very favorite place to eat is not fancy but again, the view: the residents' beach house at the Four Seasons Hualalai. But it is, alas, restricted, I think. A restaurant on the property was closed while we were there so they gave us access. I don't think that is the case any longer.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi! Thanks for the recommendations! No need to be "fine dining" - just hoping to find a meal where we go "wow, that was fantastic" I'll keep searching through this board for more ideas as well. Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
You should check out www.konaweb.com they have a very active visiting the Big Island forum which also covers Big Island dinning. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by JA610
You should check out www.konaweb.com they have a very active visiting the Big Island forum which also covers Big Island dinning. Enjoy your trip.
At the bottom of their webpage is a link to restaurant reviews also.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For fine dining, I would definitely suggest 'Ulu at the Four Seasons, or for something casual-luxe, the Residents Beach House (also at Hualalai) offers amazing dishes with one of the best sunset views on the island.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Holuakoa Gardens and Cafe has absolutely amazing food, the best I've had on the Big Island. It's not as fancy as some big name hotel resturants, but well worth it.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the recommendations - looks like some tasty options! I think we'll stay near Kona that night, and then head over to Hilo/Volcano the next day. Here's hoping for a gorgeous sunset on our anniversary!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Sunday nights, KonaBob and Eke play Hawaiian music at Daylight Mind Restaurant (6-8pm) in Kona.

http://daylightmind.com/
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Agree with Merrimans. In town try Fish Hopper, always fresh and creative.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:56 pm

Surprise Wedding Anniversary

Originally Posted by 747FC
If you want a very special experience, try dinner at a Volcano:

http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/dining/

Not fine dining, but really, that does not exist on the Big Island. However, Roy's is great.
Thanx. I'm looking for some of the best (and reasonable if possible) restaurants for a surprise wedding anniversary. Trying to find the best for Kauai and Maui as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.