Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Recommendations needed for flights NYC. LT planning

Old May 3, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Need help. Looking for airlines. NYC-OGG, HNL-NYC. Not concerned with inter island flights.

Looking for best (most comfortable, roomy, overall experience) biz/FC. May use miles but willing to pay for the best flights.

I know that the schedules are not available yet (4/15 - 5/15) but want to focus on airline first. I'm not generally a fan of the 737 or 757 for long flights.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Non stop available on United EWR/HNL and Hawaiian JFK/HNL. Of these we have only flown United HNL/EWR. Very plush 1st but leaves after 9 PM so no dinner is served. Good friends have flown Hawaiian both ways in coach. Get meals and they book early and get the coach compartment between 1st and main coach. Very good.

Last edited by KenfromDE; May 3, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Old May 3, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The UA F product to EWR is a lie-flat seat while the HA F product is a lounger-type seat which is only marginally better than the seats you find in a UA F flight on a 737/319/757. The HA FAs are typically a lot nicer than the UA staff. The HA F food used to be a lot better than UA, but HA has been right-sizing their product.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Help still needed

The schedules are out and I thought I would get some creative solutions for this trip. Should I fly to the west coast and pick up Alaska Air? Any AA flyers care to comment on AA's service from mainland to Hawaii?

How about Delta? Any Colonels out there who fly to HI?

I've heard that the biz/FC service and seats on this destination are not worth the extra money or points. I don't relish this long trip, with a possible red-eye on the way back sitting in coach.

I usually fly eastward from NYC and like the international biz/fc service so I want to replicate this when I head westward to HI. I'm flexible and would prefer non-stops, but would I would break the flight in CA or TX or WA if the better product and planes warranted the stop. Looking for lie-flat seats.

Come on guys, help me!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If lie flat seats are important to you, right now, the UA non-stop from EWR is your only choice.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks but I can't find a non-stop from HNL to NYC in May 2015. All the schedules have stops in LAX or SFO.

Last edited by FlyingHi4Now; Jul 25, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

It's an EWR non stop. It's UA 15. HA flies non stop from JFK
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the flight number. I don't know why I didn't get this info from my search on UAL. I use NYC as the New York airport so EWR should have been included. No bother.

Thanks again for your help. Now I just need to see if I want an 11 hour flight to HNL and then a connection to OGG.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 pm

FYI Alaska SEA/HNL is your typical 737. 2x2 First class gets about 6 more inches of leg room and no predeparture beverage service.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
AA flies angled lie flat on DFW-HNL as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.