Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Multi-city flight a little pricey over Christmas, any help/ideas?

Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott

Hi,

I am looking to put this flight together:

12/20/2014 -- AZO to ITO,
1/3/2015 -- OGG to AZO.

If the price was right I would be willing to fly out of GRR or DTW, but we are avoiding Chicago, once you take the drive and parking costs into account it really isn't a savings over DTW.

Over the past two weeks i've watched the price increase on Google flights from a low of about $1950 to a current level of around $2300.

Last year, on our first trip to Hawaii, I was able to book 3 islands (Maui, Kauai and Oahu) with all flights coming in at $1800 per person on Delta/Alaska over the Christmas break. Those flights were booked in early April.

Is Hawaii really that much more expensive this year over last? Am I too impatient? Any good things coming down the pipeline to be aware of? My goal is to have flight costs for 3 be at or below $6500 USD.

Mahalo,

Dennis

Last edited by DennisMichigan; Mar 22, 2014 at 9:37 am Reason: messed up the total amount i wanted to spend on 3 tickets
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

bring on the magic

well, on the plus side, I did find a cheap airline for our hop from the Big Island to Maui. Mokulele airlines has great prices especially compared to Hawaiian. So that's a $200 save right there;-)

IF only prices would start dropping for the main flights... those just keep creeping up:-(

Dennis
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DennisMichigan
well, on the plus side, I did find a cheap airline for our hop from the Big Island to Maui. Mokulele airlines has great prices especially compared to Hawaiian. So that's a $200 save right there;-)
One really gets what they pay for in the interisland market.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
Mokulele flies Cessna Caravans so I hope you like small airplanes.

Prices to ITO are generally higher than KOA because there are less seats available so using KOA as an alternate big island destination may save you some cash.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

KOA saves almost a thousand for 3, but hoping prices drop soon to avoid the drive from KOA to Hilo to start our vacation. Determined to spend a few days checking out the east side of the Big Island without commuting. Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.