Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Old May 8, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
No, it's a loooooooonnnnng night.
Honestly, we usually stay until intermission, drive back to our rented house, and watch the rest on TV (while dozing off).

But the tickets are cheap, and it is enjoyable for an hour or two.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
Honestly, we usually stay until intermission, drive back to our rented house, and watch the rest on TV (while dozing off).

But the tickets are cheap, and it is enjoyable for an hour or two.
The second night we stayed all 6 hours - after having stayed three the first night and buying seat cushions at Target. Back to three hours the last night! Wooden bleachers, no backs, stadium seats prohibited - rough! They could make it much more tolerable with a lot less of the ceremony which is interesting one night, not all three. And then everything stops when the Dowager Countess Princess Abigail makes her entrance.....
Old May 9, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: too many
I've lived in Hawaii for 11 years now, all on Oahu. I've traveled to Maui and the Big Isle several times each and Kauai once. Each island has its own uniqueness and beauty to offer--and I refuse to claim that any one is better than the other; it all depends on what you are looking for.

If you are not sure what you are looking for and just want to visit then I recommend Oahu. Oahu has many secluded and beautiful spots as well as tourist spots like Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, North Shore, Punchbowl, Diamond Head, plantations, the Polynesian Cultural Center, waterfalls, Hanauma Bay, world class golf courses and hiking trails. There are plenty of national chain restaurants to make you feel at home or if you like hundreds of small restaurants catering to any taste. To top it all off we have the only royal palace on American soil.

If you are looking for a strictly nature experience than Kauai or the Big Island are your best bets. Kauai has the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific” and the Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali Coast to. The Big Isle has the only active volcano in the US, world-renowned observatories atop Mauna Kea, black sand beaches, the southernmost point in the United States, and some of the most amazing coastline you will ever see.

Maui is in the middle right now; there are many nice hotels/resorts and restaurants. Lots of things for visitors to do like fishing, diving, para-sailing, and snorkeling but still has a quaint feel to it. You can also do sunrise hikes or extreme downhill biking on Haleakla or drive the Road to Hana.

One thing you need to keep in mind when traveling to Hawaii is that it is different here. The people that don’t understand and respect that are the ones that have bad experiences. Life moves at a slower pace, if you smile at someone they will smile back, the beach is a lifestyle, and family is extremely important. Everything here isn’t rosy: we have traffic congestion, crime, an antiquated power grid, a large homeless population; our public education is in the bottom 10% of the country, and high taxes. It’s a small price to pay for everything else Hawaii has to offer.

…and as a bonus, all your dollars are being reinvested in America.
Old May 11, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by diggitydog
One thing you need to keep in mind when traveling to Hawaii is that it is different here. The people that dont understand and respect that are the ones that have bad experiences. Life moves at a slower pace, if you smile at someone they will smile back, the beach is a lifestyle, and family is extremely important. Everything here isnt rosy: we have traffic congestion, crime, an antiquated power grid, a large homeless population; our public education is in the bottom 10% of the country, and high taxes. Its a small price to pay for everything else Hawaii has to offer.
^
Old May 11, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Fortunately, a friend of mine owns a rental house on the coast SE of Pahoa, so that's where I stayed in March. It's a very beautiful area.
I also recommend a visit to the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden when staying on the east side of the Big Island. Magnificent!
Old May 11, 2013, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I like Hilo and the some 200 inches or rain a year don't get me wrong.. I just prefer to get a tan on the part of the island where there's guaranteed sun with only 8 inches of rain per year.

Experiencing Big Island can be balanced while staying on the dry side of the island. We rent a vehicle and don't mind driving for a day trip. The Vanilla Bean Factory, Waimea, Volcano Village, Kona are good ways of taking in the Hawaii life. Many road stops in between. South point is a must do, and the black sand beach is always a show stopper favorite. We like Imoloa (Hilo Science Center), Mauna Loa (Mac Nut Factory), as well as the famous island in Hilo.

But with a dry spot where we can walk out and have guaranteed sun at Kohala Coast. That's our family's preference.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I like Hilo and the some 200 inches or rain a year don't get me wrong...
Actually for Hilo the average is around 130 inches per year. The more mauka you go, the higher the rainfall.

Experiencing Big Island can be balanced while staying on the dry side of the island. We rent a vehicle and don't mind driving for a day trip. The Vanilla Bean Factory, Waimea, Volcano Village, Kona are good ways of taking in the Hawaii life. Many road stops in between. South point is a must do, and the black sand beach is always a show stopper favorite. We like Imoloa (Hilo Science Center), Mauna Loa (Mac Nut Factory), as well as the famous island in Hilo.
All are fun. But, as noted many times before, most have very little to do with actual local-style "Hawai`i life." The items you name are for the most part an experience of "Hawai`i tourist life."
Old May 11, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

I guess the beauty of Hawaii is not necessarily found in its beaches and resorts, but World Heritages Sites Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument and Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park make the islands worthwhile a visit:

http://www.papahanaumokuakea.gov/about/welcome.html
http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

Last edited by Dieuwer; May 11, 2013 at 7:50 pm
Old May 11, 2013, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We've visited Big Island 7 times over the past 10 years and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is truly the spectacular destination you can't find anywhere else in the world. Obviously, with each trip we'll make it a point to stop in Volcanoes National Park and do some hikes, listen to presentations, visit museums and sites at the National Park. In addition, Big Island is also special to observatories on Mauna Kea. Because of clear skies for much of the year, the summit of Mauna Kea is truly the world renown site to observe the stars. We make it a point to stop in at their visitor center. With small kids, we haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Summit yet, but plan to when the kids get old enough.

We continue to visit Hawaii each year, one of the reasons is for the culture and their friendliness, but the islands being the most secluded on earth, there is a feeling of isolation, but safe enough if any of the family members need medical attention, there is a hospital, doctors and dentists up the road. Occasionally, we'll stop in Waimea or Hawi and take in the local fare, but we like to partake in the various famous fare offered on the island. Which btw on the Big Island best cuisine in all of the islands offered. Over the years we visited SS&S, Mauna Kea Clambake/Sunday Brunch, Hakone Japanese Buffet, Monstera, Sam Choy's, Hilo Bay Cafe, Merrimans, Charlie Thai, Hapuna Prince Crab Night, Kona Village Luau, Gathering of the Kings (some of these events are legends,a nd no longer). Lighter Fare we've eaten at Ken's, Big Island Grill, Pine Tree Cafe, Kiawe Kitchen, etc. Run of the mill fare such as Ruth's Chris, Tommy Bahama's, Browns Beachhouse, Sansei are favorites as a family, and very kid friendly. Vanilla Bean Factory has an excellent lunch as well. We like to sun, fun, eat and explore. Perhaps though we have a different taste in what we want to do as we have kids and have to keep it family friendly. I understand there is underground secret findings to explore, and there is going to be endless opportunities to explore local life. At the end of the day, the events we undertake and nourishment consumed needs to be kid friendly. Having sick kids would not be fun on any vacation.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
...but the islands being the most secluded on earth...
Eh, what? :-)
Old May 12, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
secluded ≈ remote

The Worlds Most Remote Island Group: Hawaii?

Extreme points of Earth
Old May 12, 2013, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

I was recently surprised when I read that the air in Hawaii is about the cleanest in the world, having traveled several thousand miles from Asia with absolutely nothing in between but ocean.

Last edited by ILuvParis; May 12, 2013 at 1:07 am
Old May 12, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I was recently surprised when I read that the air in Hawaii is about the cleanest in the world, having traveled several thousand miles from Asia with absolutely nothing in between but ocean.
If anything, Hawaii is underrated as a destination. On the east coast of the US I often hear people who haven't been say things along the lines of "it must be similar to Florida?" and "why would fly so far when we have the Atlantic nearby?!" Those that go know that Hawaii is incredibly beautiful and well worth the flight! Send me a pm and join us for the first Flyertalk Four Seasons Hualalai Do Dec. 8th-13th!
Old May 12, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
If anything, Hawaii is underrated as a destination. On the east coast of the US I often hear people who haven't been say things along the lines of "it must be similar to Florida?" and "why would fly so far when we have the Atlantic nearby?!" Those that go know that Hawaii is incredibly beautiful and well worth the flight! Send me a pm and join us for the first Flyertalk Four Seasons Hualalai Do Dec. 8th-13th!
Except perhaps for a honeymoon, it doesn't seem like many folks to the East Coast EVER go to Hawaii. I'm an East Coaster these days, and I don't know anyone "in the real world" who ever goes. It doesn't even seem to be about the expense. Most folks just won't go on vacation to a place that takes 11 or 12 hours to get to. It just not something they would ever consider.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by iahphx
Except perhaps for a honeymoon, it doesn't seem like many folks to the East Coast EVER go to Hawaii.
My neighbors along with 5-6 other couples I know all are from the East Coast and either have condos out here and/or rent stuff during the winter to get way from things...... Neighbor is here from 1Dec to Middle of May....

I also meet folks passing thru my Elks Lodge that live on the East Coast that are out here either visiting or living part of the year to escape the winter....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.