Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

First time to Maui

I hope it is okay to ask multiple questions in one posting. I will be traveling to Maui in Sept with 5 adults arriving at OGG at 8:00 pm. Our day starts early with two tight connections. We will have to grab something between connections so I am thinking we will be starving by the time we land in OGG. We will be staying at the Westin Maui in Lahaina. Also need to pick up a rental car. Should we grab a quick bite to eat before driving to the hotel and if so any suggestions?
I am also concerned about the rental car. I would prefer to get an std SUV but am afraid that we all could not fit with all the luggage. Without the luggage I think we would be fine getting around during the week in an SUV. Do rentals come with luggage racks and tie downs or should I go with a mini van? Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
First time to Maui

Re: rental car, you can ask at rental counter and upgrade if needed. Sept travel will be a bit of a slower time if year.

Re: food, there are a number of places on the way out of OGG...some typical fast-food along with some local restaurants.

It's likely to take 45 min-1 hr to Westin (Whaler's Village, about 10 min north of Lahaina). If you want better food, Lahaina and Whaler's Vil will have options, as long as you're not too late.

Have fun
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
First time to Maui

Food on the way
Marco's deli type food
3/4 mile from Car Rents on left at corner of Dairy Rd and Hana Highway
Mc Donald's and
Burger King are the easiest.
Past 9 pm, most things close down that are on your way until you get to Lahaina
Be aware not to leave your luggage alone .
If it was me, I'd get a quick burger or salad then get to your hotel,
You'll be tired and want to sleep.
Save your self for your early wake up
Save your appetite for a nice breakfast at the Westin.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
We have traveled to Maui with 6 adults several times. Luggage for all including 2-3 sets of golf clubs. We have managed to get all luggage and clubs in a minivan like a Grand Caravan. It is tight on the trip from/to the airport but once the luggage is unloaded the van works great for us.

Lahina is about 45 minutes from the airport. We always go straight to Cheeseburgers in Paradise in Lahina to grab a bite before we head to to our hotel on the west side.

The first morning you will be awake around 4-5 in the morning. If you have a thought to go to Haleakala, that is the morning to go to it. You need to be there early in the morning for the sunrise. You are already awake so make the most of the first morning.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
First time to Maui

Remember we're talking about eating at around 10 pm at night 3 am equiv to east coast time
Save your self for a nice breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.