Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

How much earlier should I arrive at OGG

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I've got a flight from OGG to LIH and was wondering how much in advance I should arrive at OGG? Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

2 hours if you are not web checking in
Hawaiian Air lobby waits can be very long during the peak tourist times.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
2nd the 2-hour recommendation.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
We fly AA and are typically there between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs in advance. We have arrrived with as little as 1 hr and been fine. Yes, the lines can be long but they move pretty fast. We always check in online and print our boarding passes before we get to the airport. We also try to use the skycap which seems to speed it up a bit. If you will have a rental car, that can add some time. The drop off is off-airport. It only takes about 2 minutes to get shuttled to the airport but sometimes there is a delay getting the car checked back in and then waiting a few minutes for the shuttle to arrive to take you to the airport. My experience is about 10 minutes total.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Really depends what time your flight departs and whether the flight is timed to depart with other mainland bound flights. Yesterday, I made it to the airport at 5:15, got my boarding passes (standby), got through security, and made a 5:49 flight. I don't recommend this... But just showing it's doable at certain times of the day. If this were mid afternoon, forget about it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

AA is a bit different than inter island Airlines such as HA ( Hawaiian) that could have 8-10 flights leaving within 1/2-1 hour of each other. ( Inter I and mainland flights vs AA ( American ) that has only a handful of flights all day

With all those flights and people waits can be long during peak tourist inter island hop times
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Flight out at 10:45 PM to LAX. When should we arrive at OGG? And how long to allow for drive from Wailea? Returning car rental; no checked bags.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Me, I would leave Wailea around 8:30. Assume you have Pre-check.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Me, I would leave Wailea around 8:30. Assume you have Pre-check.
Perfect. Yes, we have precheck.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Depends on day of the week & season. A classic example of YMMV. We travel thru OGG two or three times a year. A "worst" case was this past Saturday (March 25). OGG was trying to do an imitation of the Tokyo Subways; lots of people, long lines even for PreCheck, etc. As a contrast, a Friday morning in late August, just breeze thru w/o any waiting time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.