Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Island reasonably priced baby sitters?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Island reasonably priced baby sitters?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Question Big Island reasonably priced baby sitters?

Hi there,
Is there such a thing as mentioned in the title?
I saw one company charging $18+2 per hour, plus $10 travel, plus minimum 4 hours - seriously?
Anyone familiar with a more reasonable solution?

Thanks,
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:32 pm

I can't help, but I'm beginning to see how to finance my Hawaii retirement.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Another alternative is a kids club at the hotel during 8 am to 5 pm hours generally. I would get referrals from trusted sources if looking for baby sitting.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Is this is just for one child? For 2 or 3, I don't think $20/hr is that out of the realm of possibility.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:11 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Personally when I am on vacation with my family I am there for my family. However, why would be want to cheap out on te most precious thing in your life?

$20 per hour seems reasonable.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by ranshe
Hi there,
Is there such a thing as mentioned in the title?
I saw one company charging $18+2 per hour, plus $10 travel, plus minimum 4 hours - seriously?
Anyone familiar with a more reasonable solution?

Thanks,
Sittercity.com is a good resource.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 7E7
Personally when I am on vacation with my family I am there for my family. However, why would be want to cheap out on te most precious thing in your life?

$20 per hour seems reasonable.
Its true you can get cheaper.. but I would wonder what the background of such sitters are. It is our kids you know that we are entrusting with strangers. Definitely high on the list would be a referral from a trusted source (i.e. hotel), bond/accreditation, etc.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
I live in the Bay Area, so $20 per hour is standard for a background-checked nanny through an agency. Doesn't shock my conscience. Hawaii cost of living is pretty similar to the Bay Area (and a lot of the tourists to Hawaii are pretty well-heeled), so I've always expected rates to be comparable.

Went last year and used Malihini Keiki Care (www.mkcare.com) for my then 22 month old, which is one of the agencies that a lot of the resorts on the Kona Coast recommends. We had a fantastic babysitter who had clearly nannied for some of the most demanding of Hawaii tourists (celebrities, etc.). Used her twice to go out to dinner - couldn't quite use the whole 4 hours, but it was worth it. I think if you have a younger child, it is worth the peace of mind to go through an agency that does background checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.