Reload this Page >

Nightcap by the airport - HNL

Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

For better or worse, I'm spending a night at the Best Western Plaza next month - it just makes no sense to go into Waikiki for a 9:40PM arrival and an 8:00 AM departure. As best as I can tell, that hotel's restaurant will be closed, and there is no bar. I don't expect that much, save the burger place next door, will be open. Is there anyplace open (including perhaps a hotel bar that isn't advertised on their site) within a short walk, to get a nightcap before zzzzztime?

Mahalo!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:50 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
perhaps you might want to ask your flight attendant for a to-go pkg

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For better or worse, I'm spending a night at the Best Western Plaza next month - it just makes no sense to go into Waikiki for a 9:40PM arrival and an 8:00 AM departure. As best as I can tell, that hotel's restaurant will be closed, and there is no bar. I don't expect that much, save the burger place next door, will be open. Is there anyplace open (including perhaps a hotel bar that isn't advertised on their site) within a short walk, to get a nightcap before zzzzztime?

Mahalo!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott

Mahalo!
I personally can't think of anything within walking distance unless its a true hole in the wall that I don't know of........

I know the Honolulu Airport Hotel only has a restaurant now...and it would be closed early as well.

And you are correct, by the time you get there, everything in that wonderful hotel should be closed up.

Maybe Slippah's might now of something....
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Lisa's House is (or was) a couple of blocks from your hotel. Head toward the mini mall (Big Kahuna's, starbucks, etc) and down a block to Ualena St. Was there a couple of years ago, don't know if it is still open.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I apologize for perhaps hijacking this thread, but I have a similar situation. I arrive at HNL around 11 PM and have to fly out again at 5:30 AM. Kinda dumb to get a hotel for that short of time, so I was thinking off just heading to a bar, closing it down (2 AM, right?), and then catching a cab to the airport. Can anyone suggest something that won't cost me $50 in cab fare? (Or thought about bussing it to Waikiki and then cab back later. And later closing times for Waikiki bars?)

Thanks,
Chris
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I apologize for perhaps hijacking this thread, but I have a similar situation. I arrive at HNL around 11 PM and have to fly out again at 5:30 AM. Kinda dumb to get a hotel for that short of time, so I was thinking off just heading to a bar, closing it down (2 AM, right?), and then catching a cab to the airport. Can anyone suggest something that won't cost me $50 in cab fare? (Or thought about bussing it to Waikiki and then cab back later. And later closing times for Waikiki bars?)

Thanks,
Chris
Check this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...yover-hnl.html
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Lisa's House
Had no clue about that place....but apparently its still there by a recent review on Yelp....

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lisas-house-honolulu
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
there used to be a bar on ualena st...(which as is expected is very industrial)...i believe its what is now called lisas

also there is a totally sketchy hostess/strip bar on end of ualena and lagoon drive....

if your willing to take a long walk/taxi you can go to ruby tuesday which is in the shopping center next to the golf course on nimitz hwy...or even Henry Louis in mapunapuna
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs

Mahalo!
It was not an elegant solution, but the last time this situation presented itself I just got a couple of drinks on the flight and took them off in my carry on. At least I could get there and relax after check in with a glass of wine. Worked pretty well in my case because the hotel was quite nice and there was nothing around.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by mstraveler
It was not an elegant solution, but the last time this situation presented itself I just got a couple of drinks on the flight and took them off in my carry on. At least I could get there and relax after check in with a glass of wine. Worked pretty well in my case because the hotel was quite nice and there was nothing around.
Along the same line, the Airport Trade Center strip mall is nearby. They have a mini-grocery that no doubt sells some kind of alcoholic beverages.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/airport-trade-center-honolulu
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
if your going to be leaving the airport to drink...why not just get a lounge pass and drink there..delta sells them cheap with their groupon..although i guess they have limited hours
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitachu
if your going to be leaving the airport to drink...why not just get a lounge pass and drink there..delta sells them cheap with their groupon..although i guess they have limited hours
We are staying at the hotel near the airport - we just want to have a place to hang out for a short time before going to bed. (I already have DL lounge access.)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I am doing the exact thing as eastbay on Friday. No doubt we'll be starving by the time we land and I will need protein more than a drink. Will check out Lisa's. Thanks for posting your original question!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
I am doing the exact thing as eastbay on Friday. No doubt we'll be starving by the time we land and I will need protein more than a drink. Will check out Lisa's. Thanks for posting your original question!
For food in walking distance you can also try Byron's Drive Inn, L & L, and Ninja Sushi.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lalala
What did you end up doing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.