Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii locations in The Descendants ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:21 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by fhaas
The 25,000 acre parcel in the book is on Kauai ... and that's the case for the location in the movie. The land is a 900 acre ranch not far from Nawiliwili harbor (but cut off by the mountains) called "Kipu Kai." It's only accessible by four wheel drive, zodiac boat (or helicopter). The ranch is owned by the Waterhouse family (an old kamaaina family) and their story is similar to the Kings. The family acquired the land in the late 1800s from Princess Ruth. I was privileged to visit Kipu Kai when working on a project with Alex Waterhouse.
Thank you for such an informative first post on FlyerTalk. You've filled in an important piece for us in understanding where the movie was filmed.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by fhaas
The 25,000 acre parcel in the book is on Kauai ... and that's the case for the location in the movie. The land is a 900 acre ranch not far from Nawiliwili harbor (but cut off by the mountains) called "Kipu Kai." It's only accessible by four wheel drive, zodiac boat (or helicopter). The ranch is owned by the Waterhouse family (an old kamaaina family) and their story is similar to the Kings. The family acquired the land in the late 1800s from Princess Ruth. I was privileged to visit Kipu Kai when working on a project with Alex Waterhouse.
There's a few adventure tours you can take out to the ranch as well. I did one back in 2010 that involved kayaking two miles up the same river from the harbor, then a hike to a zip lining course, and another hike to a swimming hole. Very cool. It's the same parcel of land where they shot scenes from Jurassic Park(the big Jurassic Park gates are still there!), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Tropic Thunder and a dozen other movies.

If you ever get a chance to go out there, do it. It's pretty mindblowing.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

The main King household looked to be in Nu`uanu, either on the Old Pali Road side or by the O`ahu Country Club. This would be a logical place for an old kama`aina family to live, although I have never seen a goat on someone's lawn and can't imagine that the residents in that area would allow it.

King's law office looked to be at 1100 Alakea Street.

The Speer house was described to be in the Black Point area, but it looked closer to the adjacent area around Diamond Head Road near Pu`u Panini and the Triangle Park.

The house where Scotty's classmate lived (the one receceiving the rude texts) looked to be in Kaimuki near Pahoa Ave.

I noticed the University of Hawai`i - Manoa's East-West Center building in the background of scenes shot at Scotty's school.

The hospital scenes looked to be at Queen's, but some of the shots out of the windows made me think they were shooting at Kuakini.

I'll look forward to watching the movie again and taking a closer look at the scenery.
Cool description from someone who clearly knows the city. Thanks and the next time anyone shoots in San Francisco I might be as helpful .
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:13 pm

Locations found so far for The Descendants. Need a few more for 100%.

Here are the locations I have pinpointed so far:

5160 Old Pali Road, Honolulu, HI
This is the address on the living will for Elizabeth King. This address doesn't seem to actually exist.

3849 Old Pali Road, Honolulu, HI 96817
This is the address for the house Matt King is living in, where the pool is in the front, the cement/concrete pots in front, the flagstaff properties in the back (note the 2 extra mailboxes) and its on the corner of Old Pali Road and Gartley Place.

155 Dowsett Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
This is the address for the house Matt runs to, the place where Mark and Kai Mitchell are in the movie.

4328 Papu Cir, Honolulu, HI 96816
This doesnt have the tell-tale turtle on it as it did in the movie. This is the address of Brian Speer where Elizabeth King was caught with Brian Speer by Alexandra King.

55-202 Kamehameha Hwy Laie, HI 96762
This the house across the street from Pounder Beach. Its where Mike King told the family he wasn't signing documents to transfer the estate from the King Family to Don Holitzer. Its owned by a group - Kikila Partners.

Kipu Kai Beach
The Descendants - Kauai Property - Kipu Kai Beach
21.9117222222222, -159.389930555556
21°54'42.20"N, 159°23'23.75"W

Tahiti Nui
5-5134 Kuhio Hwy Hanalei, HI 96714

All I think I have to locate are the following:

- Scott Thorson's house - where is it ? (around 38:50)

- The house Brian Speer is trying to sell. I think its near 4328 Papu Cir, somewhere near Diamond Head - It has the green fence with the gold leaves. (43:21)

Other locations to note and figure out the address:

- The hospital (the view outside of Elizabeth's room)

- Scottie's school (show at around 4:20)

- The house where Scottie has to apologize to Lani. Its address is 3745. Its shown around 5:45 - 7:37.

- Where is office view is at about 9:30 -10:30 (Trustee meeting with cousins).

- Outrigger club (I think this is at the Lion's Club) 15:30.

- Where Alexandra's school is. (around 18:30).

- The bridge at 34:50.

- Drive by vista at 41:45

- Greek fountain at 1:00.06

Place that should be easy to find.
- The beach house rental where Brian Speer and family is staying.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mickrussom
- The house where Scottie has to apologize to Lani. Its address is 3745. Its shown around 5:45 - 7:37.
Found it.

3745 Maunaloa Ave Honolulu, HI
This is where Lani and Barb Higgins lives and Scottie and Matt go to apologize to Lani.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:24 am

- The house Brian Speer is trying to sell. I think its near 4328 Papu Cir, somewhere near Diamond Head - It has the green fence with the gold leaves. (43:21)
Found it.

4420 Aukai Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816
This is the house Brian Speer has for sale.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:07 pm

Take a tour of the houses and filming locations in the movie The Descendants adapted from the book by Kaui Hart Hemmings.

5160 Old Pali Road, Honolulu, HI
This is the address on the living will for Elizabeth King. This address doesn't seem to actually exist.

3849 Old Pali Road, Honolulu, HI 96817
This is the address for the house Matt King is living in, where the pool is in the front, the cement/concrete pots in front, the flagstaff properties in the back (note the 2 extra mailboxes) and its on the corner of Old Pali Road and Gartley Place. http://g.co/maps/y5pw6

155 Dowsett Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
This is the address for the house Matt runs to, the place where Mark and Kai Mitchell are in the movie.

4328 Papu Cir, Honolulu, HI 96816
This doesnt have the turtle on it as it did in the movie. This is the address of Brian Speer where Elizabeth King was caught with Brian Speer by Alexandra King.

55-202 Kamehameha Hwy Laie, HI 96762
This the house across the street from Pounder Beach. Its where Mike King told the family he wasn't signing documents to transfer the estate from the King Family to Don Holitzer. Its owned by a group - Kikila Partners.

3745 Maunaloa Ave Honolulu, HI
This is where Lani and Barb Higgins lives and Scottie and Matt go to apologize to Lani.

4420 Aukai Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816
This is the house Brian Speer has for sale.

130 Wailupe Cir, Honolulu, HI 96821
I strongly suspect based on the views that this is Scott Thorson's house. The house in front says 130 Hale Aka'ula.

Kipu Kai Beach
The Descendants - Kauai Property - Kipu Kai Beach. This is the location of the bay view from the movie. This is the plot of land that the King family and cousins collectively own in trust and have the issue with trust in perpetuity.
21.9117222222222, -159.389930555556
21°54'42.20"N, 159°23'23.75"W

Tahiti Nui
5-5134 Kuhio Hwy Hanalei, HI 96714
The bar in Hanalei.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
- Outrigger club (I think this is at the Lion's Club) 15:30.
This is actually the Elks Club next door to the Outrigger.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by mstraveler
This is actually the Elks Club next door to the Outrigger.
Correct. 2 scenes were filmed there. The bar scene is our old bar. We now have a new bar with marble top....and a new back bar area......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.