Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 16, 11, 9:40 am   #1
Moderator: MilesBuzz, Credit Card Programs, & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG & Hyatt Platinum;
If you could fly F only one direction which would you choose?

Most of us do not have enough miles to fly F r/t to HI once or twice a year. But if you had enough miles to fly F in one direction, which would it be? Assume that you fly over during the early morning/afternoon and return on the dreaded redeye.

I'm leaning toward F on the redeye return. A little easier to sleep with a larger seat. What do you think?

I know this question could apply to a lot of destinations but I'm specifically interested in feedback on HI trips.
Old Oct 16, 11, 10:07 am   #2

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT
I would almost certainly go F on the return flight. Good way to smoothen the transition from vacation (I assume) back to your normal routine. I assume you have sufficient status for whatever airline that you'd get access to the priority services that you'd get in F anyway, and I'm sure you can get yourself set for food in the airport or before you leave.
Old Oct 16, 11, 11:07 am   #3
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Phil,

It would definitely be the return for me.... especially if you are doing a redeye. Much easier to sleep.

Going out, I would be excitied about the trip and working on plans and talking about the tirp... so first class - while nice - would not be a critical.

William
wharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 11, 12:49 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs View Post
I would almost certainly go F on the return flight. Good way to smoothen the transition from vacation (I assume) back to your normal routine. I assume you have sufficient status for whatever airline that you'd get access to the priority services that you'd get in F anyway, and I'm sure you can get yourself set for food in the airport or before you leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Phil,

It would definitely be the return for me.... especially if you are doing a redeye. Much easier to sleep.

Going out, I would be excitied about the trip and working on plans and talking about the tirp... so first class - while nice - would not be a critical.

William
Good feedback and I concur. This will also make my miles last years longer.
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:49 pm   #5

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Doing this in December - coach out, first back. Especially helpful with the sleep if you're going to work after that red eye...
edscholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 11, 6:00 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'd go with the outbound for the upgrade (longer flight due to jet stream), unless the return is a redeye. Definitely upgrade redeyes whenever possible.
dhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 11, 2:54 am   #7
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hawai'i forums

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agree on the logic above. Plus a bigger seat and free alcohol might help with the sunburn.
slippahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 11, 5:40 am   #8
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Sounds like someone is speaking from experience.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agree on the logic above. Plus a bigger seat and free alcohol might help with the sunburn.
wharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 11, 10:55 am   #9

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, IC Amb, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Everyone's logic makes perfect sense, yet I do the exact opposite!

I always upgrade SFO-HNL in advance. I get to enjoy dinner with drinks (I miss the Mai Tais) and a movie or two. A confirmed upgrade is a great way to start off a weekend trip to the islands.

On the redeye return, the food options are limited, so I grab a nice meal in Waikiki or even at HNL. And an Ambien ensures that I sleep through the whole flight, so I don't care if I get upgraded or not. Works for me everytime.
Old Oct 18, 11, 12:36 pm   #10
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The key is to be EXP on AA. Then you don't have to worry about it. I've missed the free upgrade once in six years (going 3-5 times a year). All that said, from the West Coast, it doesn't really matter. From the middle of the country or the east coast, definitely, I'd prefer to upgrade on the redeye.
Old Oct 19, 11, 11:58 am   #11

I agree that from the West Coast it's not that big a deal (SFO to LIH is roughly the same as SFO to JFK), but if I had to choose I'd upgrade the red-eye first (easier to sleep), or if both flights are day flights then I'd upgrade going TO Hawaii. That way I get to start my vacation nicely relaxed. Coming back to reality, I'm already resigned to it :-)
bpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 11, 5:54 pm   #12

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
No doubt about it. I'd take the redeye on the return flight. It's the difference between coming back feeling refreshed or like a zombie. In fact, I've booked coach out, first back before and loved it.
Recreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 11, 10:41 pm   #13

A few days after starting this thread I got an email from UA that our Y award flts. were being changed. Grrrrr! I checked the AS website and found F seats fron BOI>Hawaii that work great. I called UA and they cancelled our flts. and our miles where redeposited with no fees (they were adding another stop to our itinerary). Now we get to fly BOTH ways in F because we each had 38-39K AS miles that we were having trouble using. But, in future years, it might be Y over and F home.