Consolidated "Disney Aulani" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Disney Aulani" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The Water Park I thought provided value that otherwise we would not be able to use while staying there. There was also a couple of evening shows, and Mickey's poolside party that's included while staying there. For little kids, Auntie's Beach House is a big plus. Usually, full day programs for kids run $100 per kid per day.
And in 10 years, or even 5, those things most likely will no longer appeal to the children. That's what I mean about Aulani being very time -sensitive; once children age out there isn't a theme park next door, unlike at most of the DVC resorts.

But, there are those who purchase DVC for an investment, and has been successful at making money.
DVC, just like any other timeshare, isn't an investment, and anyone who purchases a timeshare as an investment could frankly be called foolish. (Visit TUG or Mouseowners.com to read that in more direct, blunt language) Again, some of us made some wise choices about what/when to buy and sell, but certainly I doubt that any of us bought as an actual investment.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
And in 10 years, or even 5, those things most likely will no longer appeal to the children. That's what I mean about Aulani being very time -sensitive; once children age out there isn't a theme park next door, unlike at most of the DVC resorts.

Precisely a reason why I think committing to DVC is not going to meet our needs. We only need the DVC for as long as the kids are around. Perhaps we would bring grand kids. There is no way for us to know. Committing to DVC would be guessing that we'll need this for the duration of the DVC, and commit to maintenance fees, and a place I'm not sure we would want to travel to on a regular basis for basically the rest of our lives.

Its fun now, but may not make economic sense later.. at least for us.

Its good that some of you guys lucked out and profited, while not purchasing with that intent.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:30 am

I'm not sure how much was 'luck', but rather research and realistic expectations. I've seen posted here before that people went to a DVC sales centre, and were told that they would have to pay a minimum of $64,000 to be able to purchase and stay at Aulani. Research would prove that not to be the case.

I continue to encourage anyone considering DVC to read very carefully at sites such as mouseowners.com and TUG, and not to purchase for emotional reasons, if they do decide to purchase.

Some of us were able to profit because we understood when to buy and when to sell, carefully considered the size of the contract, the specific resort, the use year, and even the reseller involved with the purchase and the sale. We also researched the possible benefits such as AP discounts, and how to use banking and borrowing and transfers to our benefit. A family of four could not only have sold my contract for a profit, but also saved thousands on AP prices in a very short time.

But I agree with you that locking into a 50 year contract at Aulani may not be the best option, even for those visiting Hawaii regularly, and certainly not at the direct sale prices.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I visited the Aulani sales center the week it opened for preview at the Contemporary resort.

I know the area well, and was curious about the cost for a resort that I consider in the middle of nowhere (along with the Marriott).

I was shocked at the price per point. There is no way I would even consider paying that much for a DVC no matter how often I go to Hawaii. It's cheaper to stay in a hotel and eat out.

I haven't read the reviews on the fan sites, but I'm curious as to the general feeling for the property (from those who are NOT crazed Disney fans). Most of those people are used to Disneyworld DVC, with it's ease of transportation and access to inexpesive food choices. They must go into shock when they find that without a car they are captives at the resort in the middle of nowhere - unless you want to consider the local shopping area with a Home Depot and other resident-type businesses - somewhere to go.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I visited the Aulani sales center the week it opened for preview at the Contemporary resort.

I know the area well, and was curious about the cost for a resort that I consider in the middle of nowhere (along with the Marriott).

I was shocked at the price per point. There is no way I would even consider paying that much for a DVC no matter how often I go to Hawaii. It's cheaper to stay in a hotel and eat out.

I haven't read the reviews on the fan sites, but I'm curious as to the general feeling for the property (from those who are NOT crazed Disney fans). Most of those people are used to Disneyworld DVC, with it's ease of transportation and access to inexpesive food choices. They must go into shock when they find that without a car they are captives at the resort in the middle of nowhere - unless you want to consider the local shopping area with a Home Depot and other resident-type businesses - somewhere to go.
I tend to read mouseowners.com for more balanced, less pixie dust reviews (Although I pretty much stopped visiting that site when it became a home for those from a certain larger DISney site) In general, the reviews were what I had suspected before Aulani was even completed: several units with really poor views (ie not mountain view but just dumpster/wall view), overcrowded feel even when resort was not full, and the outrageous food prices.

The restaurant menus were reworked after opening based on feedback but even now I think that they are still high priced. A lot of visitors seem to not have a car and are hence 'trapped' and can only go across the road. My friend who I referenced above is used to very high prices, and visits Hawaii several times a year, but she was even shocked at the prices at that little plaza with the ABC across from Aulani. They ended up going to Costco and eating in their unit as a lot of visitors seem to do.

I did notice that the new 4for3 offer includes breakfast for 2 adults daily. I'm sure that is in part due to the challenges they face with menu prices.

And yes, Mary, a lot of visitors seem shocked at the cost of airfare to Hawaii, and the cost of just 'life' on Oahu in general. For many, it sounds like the first time they did a non-WDW vacation and don't realise how cheap an Orlando vacation can be.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Some of the posts above take those of us who don't adore Disney to task for merely stating opinions as though they are facts. That is clearly a valid point. Some really love it and don't want to leave. When we were there last week, we met plenty of people who absolutely adore the place, book it for 10 days, and don't think about leaving except for one day at Pearl Harbor or something. It takes all types, that's for sure.

But I do think you raise a valid point that nobody should buy at Aulani without having stayed there at least once -- and maybe even twice to see if the luster wears off. Even so, I can't imagine why anyone but the unwitting would buy there unless they absolutely have to be there over the holidays every year and can plan at 11 months. The key to understanding DVC is tobe able to see through the bullcrap about "other great uses of your points." If you want to buy disney points with the idea that occasionally you'll use them elsewhere, $150 points with $6.25 MFs are not the way to go. But, most people don't understand timeshares. If they did, timeshares likely wouldn't exist.

We were pretty lucky on our foray into the world of DVC. We got in at DVC for $96/point got crazy developer points incentives, had it while our kids were really into disney, and got out at a reasonable price. We certainly didn't make money -- between realtor commissions, annual maintenance fees, and the difference between our buy point and sell point, we probably ended up paying about $7k. Plus a little for the time value of the money we spent. (Minus the sapphire points we got by putting the timeshare on the credit card!!!) That's a lot of money -- but for it we got several weeks in a 1 BR at BLT in high season with fireworks off our balcony, occasional trips to grand california villas, and some assorted Aulani nights. The point I'm trying to make is that, by many standards, we absolutely crushed it with how much value we got out of BLT (not as much as others who have actually profited, to be sure, but much better than most), and even still we were $7k in the red.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:07 am

I went running from BLT too I guess if I had purchased when they first opened OKW at $50 a point and APs until 2000, I would be well ahead of the game by now. Those people are selling at a profit.

But no matter how many times I worked the numbers, I could never find a way to make it work financially (& I'm an accountant).

In the end, Disney is going to shoot themselves in the foot with all these timeshares. The latest rumor is they're going to put a huge one in Ft. Wilderness where the stables are. If they do so, they will ruin the place.

But they have one heck of a racket... the studios are smaller than moderate resorts, and if you rent them from disney cost more than a regular hotel room and there's no housekeeping unless you're there for more than a week, excepting the trash & tidy after 3 nights. They've got all these owners paying maintenance, all while keeping a chunk of those rooms for themselves to rent as hotel rooms/suites.

Thanks, but no thanks
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:39 am

I do think as well that it's important to point out that Disney does do certain things well. They were for a very long time the leaders in the theme park industry. Every person on this thread has some positive connection to Disney, whether as an owner, a repeat visitor, or some other connection. And it sounds like most of us have visited Hawaii quite extensively in past.

And at Aulani they do certain things well. But those things may only appeal to a certain segment of the population for a certain amount of time, and even loyal fans like our Ancien Maestro admit that at some point their focus may not be Aulani.

So for those considering it, understand what makes Aulani unique, and if that is the right fit, enjoy it. But I would also consider the advice about paying cash direct, or renting points, vs buying a contract for the long term. And if buying DVC, then at least as suggested here visit Aulani first. And for those who have never been to Hawaii, maybe also visit other parts of the state and then make a decision.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Some of the posts above take those of us who don't adore Disney to task for merely stating opinions as though they are facts. That is clearly a valid point. Some really love it and don't want to leave. When we were there last week, we met plenty of people who absolutely adore the place, book it for 10 days, and don't think about leaving except for one day at Pearl Harbor or something. It takes all types, that's for sure.

But I do think you raise a valid point that nobody should buy at Aulani without having stayed there at least once -- and maybe even twice to see if the luster wears off. Even so, I can't imagine why anyone but the unwitting would buy there unless they absolutely have to be there over the holidays every year and can plan at 11 months. The key to understanding DVC is tobe able to see through the bullcrap about "other great uses of your points." If you want to buy disney points with the idea that occasionally you'll use them elsewhere, $150 points with $6.25 MFs are not the way to go. But, most people don't understand timeshares. If they did, timeshares likely wouldn't exist.

We were pretty lucky on our foray into the world of DVC. We got in at DVC for $96/point got crazy developer points incentives, had it while our kids were really into disney, and got out at a reasonable price. We certainly didn't make money -- between realtor commissions, annual maintenance fees, and the difference between our buy point and sell point, we probably ended up paying about $7k. Plus a little for the time value of the money we spent. (Minus the sapphire points we got by putting the timeshare on the credit card!!!) That's a lot of money -- but for it we got several weeks in a 1 BR at BLT in high season with fireworks off our balcony, occasional trips to grand california villas, and some assorted Aulani nights. The point I'm trying to make is that, by many standards, we absolutely crushed it with how much value we got out of BLT (not as much as others who have actually profited, to be sure, but much better than most), and even still we were $7k in the red.
How many years of use were you able to get out of being a dVC owner? I would divide straight the $7K spent over the number of years, and the number of days spent.. add the amount onto the maintenance cost, and compare what the estimated retail of your room was/is going for on the open market. If its less than retail, then you saved $$$.. but its more, than perhaps you paid a premium for the convenience of DVC.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:30 pm

How many years of use were you able to get out of being a dVC owner? I would divide straight the $7K spent over the number of years, and the number of days spent.. add the amount onto the maintenance cost, and compare what the estimated retail of your room was/is going for on the open market. If its less than retail, then you saved $$$.. but its more, than perhaps you paid a premium for the convenience of DVC.
Well, it's sort of like the old debate about how to value what you get for frequent flier miles. If retail is the yardstick, we got an incredible value. One week at BLT in a 1BR Magic Kingdom view in July alone is $5,000 to $6,000 with a decent discount like AAA and, in fact, is rarely even available. (You have to get Lake View.) And we had 3 of those, plus over $2,000 in nights at the GCV and Aulani. But would we have stayed in that same room if we didn't own DVC? Probably not. We likely would have stayed in a regular room at the Contemporary, which would be closer to $3,000. Or, perhaps, we would have rented points from owners for BLT and paid $3800. Etc.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkar
Well, it's sort of like the old debate about how to value what you get for frequent flier miles. If retail is the yardstick, we got an incredible value. One week at BLT in a 1BR Magic Kingdom view in July alone is $5,000 to $6,000 with a decent discount like AAA and, in fact, is rarely even available. (You have to get Lake View.) And we had 3 of those, plus over $2,000 in nights at the GCV and Aulani. But would we have stayed in that same room if we didn't own DVC? Probably not. We likely would have stayed in a regular room at the Contemporary, which would be closer to $3,000. Or, perhaps, we would have rented points from owners for BLT and paid $3800. Etc.
I get up to $1,600 per night suites, using suite upgrades.. But would I ever pay retail for them.. the answer is a flat no. Have I heard others pay that kind of retail for the suites we stay in.. the answer is a flat out yes.

I agree, if the value presents itself, then its us keeping the budget we would normally pay for the room, but receive excellent value for the money spent.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:15 pm

Remember too that there may be other 'value' besides the hotel room to factor in to the equation. For instance, there was the various AP discounts for DVC owners which may be considered as part of that value, so long as they were going to be purchased anyways. Then there are the other discounts such as parking at Aulani, dining discounts, etc.

Purchasing DVC, like any timeshare, is really just prepaying a vacation in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:01 pm
Suspended

The parking is definitely a factor at Aulani. $35 per night. What we did was transferred from the airport, so saved the rental fee and parking at Aulani. A $400 savings over 5 nights. That helped with the cost.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:39 pm

The current DVC AP savings released today include $245 off a WDW PAP; $130 off a Disney Premier Passport; $70 off a DL Deluxe AP. Those are in addition to the ongoing approximately $150 off a WDW AP. These savings can be significant for a family of four, therefore something to consider in the 'value' of a DVC contract. (But note that they are limited time, subject to change, as with all discounts)

Last edited by exbayern; Jan 29, 2014 at 9:46 pm Reason: Didn't realise that non DVC APs have increased so much in price!!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:14 am

The regular annual passes are reaching the obscene cost level

That said, can I move in with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.