Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea or Marriott Wailea

Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I have top status with Hilton and Marriott and I have stayed at Grand Wailea before. I have enough points for Mu stay at either property, suggestions on where to stay. Looking for hotel with best beach, best pool, and best chance for room upgrade using points and based on status.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Grand

Marriott lava coast line beaches on each side of property
Rooms nice with both
Nicer at Grand
Grand is a 4-4.5* property
Marriott is 3-3.5* property
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Go Grand Wailea.. Rooms are expensive.. but even at those prices, the hotel went into receivership..

But, hands down, if you got kids, Grand Wailea has great water park and slides..
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
But, hands down, if you got kids, Grand Wailea has great water park and slides..
It depends on the kids' ages. The Marriott has a great pool for toddlers and older pre-swimmers. After that, then yes, they'll love the GW. Until they get to my girls' ages (14 and 11), when they might feel like they've outgrown water parks and would prefer the ocean.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
It depends on the kids' ages. The Marriott has a great pool for toddlers and older pre-swimmers. After that, then yes, they'll love the GW. Until they get to my girls' ages (14 and 11), when they might feel like they've outgrown water parks and would prefer the ocean.
We've never stayed or used the grounds at Grand Wailea.. although we've walked through their grounds a couple of times.. a fun oasis for unsupervised children..

Fairmont Kea Lani, is a nice option.. a nice pool, wading pool, adult pool.. and water slide with upper pool for kids.. Not as elaborate as GW, but definitely worth its weight in gold..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:01 pm

Apples & Oranges

Hi dlwalt,

I just visited both properties this year and if price isn't an issue the Grand Wailea is a much better experience. You're essentially comparing apples to oranges. The Grand Wailea is one of the best properties in the area.

Unfortunately, the Marriott is showing its age and the rooms need some updating. They still have old box TVs. Not that you'll be watching much TV but it shows things need to be brought up to date.

Hope this helps. Have a great time in Hawaii!

Aloha,

Jim - Owner - Travel Beyond
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Rooms need updating??????
The rooms at the Marriott Were updated a Few years ago

Very modern finished tile floors nice hardwood finishes stainless steel modern pulls for Furniture new bed beds and toppers etc

When was the last time you went inside a room.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Rooms need updating??????
The rooms at the Marriott Were updated a Few years ago

Very modern finished tile floors nice hardwood finishes stainless steel modern pulls for Furniture new bed beds and toppers etc

When was the last time you went inside a room.
I think OP said this year..

We walked through both property grounds this year, and while its nice.. the Grand Wailea is a place of choice based on impression of grounds and offerings..
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:58 am

Hi Tony10,

Thanks for your email. I just wanted to clarify that I was responding to the question comparing the Grand Wailea to the Marriott. One is a 5 star property and the other is a 4 star. I do like the Marriott. But I believe it's important to find the right match for the traveler. On a luxury level, I think it's hard to say the Marriott is more luxurious than the Grand Wailea.

But the great things about forums is people can openly share their thoughts and opinions. All I'm offering is an opinion. I think most people will read all the comments (including your thoughts) and draw their own conclusions.

As for my background, I used to live in Hawaii. Within the last year I've visited 90% of the 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the islands. There have been so many recent renovations that a soft refurb a few years ago will appear a little dated compared to a property that just went through one.

Jim Bendt - Owner - Travel Beyond
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hawaii Guide
Hi Tony10,

Thanks for your email. I just wanted to clarify that I was responding to the question comparing the Grand Wailea to the Marriott. One is a 5 star property and the other is a 4 star. I do like the Marriott. But I believe it's important to find the right match for the traveler. On a luxury level, I think it's hard to say the Marriott is more luxurious than the Grand Wailea.

But the great things about forums is people can openly share their thoughts and opinions. All I'm offering is an opinion. I think most people will read all the comments (including your thoughts) and draw their own conclusions.

As for my background, I used to live in Hawaii. Within the last year I've visited 90% of the 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the islands. There have been so many recent renovations that a soft refurb a few years ago will appear a little dated compared to a property that just went through one.

Jim Bendt - Owner - Travel Beyond
I agree with Jim on this one..

The Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailea is simply, a 5 star hotel.. upper end accomodations.. compared to the Mariott.. but jmho
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I agree with Jim on this one..

The Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailea is simply, a 5 star hotel.. upper end accomodations.. compared to the Mariott.. but jmho
I guess that's right, but I think the GW is way over the top with everything, unlike the understated elegance of its next-door neighbor, the Four Seasons. The GW looks like something Trump hired Liberace to design.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
I guess that's right, but I think the GW is way over the top with everything, unlike the understated elegance of its next-door neighbor, the Four Seasons. The GW looks like something Trump hired Liberace to design.
GW is Vegas meets Disney in Hawaii..

Four Seasons I agree is understated elegance.. we've visited Spago's Spring Break onsite FS Maui..

My pick of hotels is Fairmont.. its all suite, and although it doesn't have the water park, it certainly has all of the required amenties.. Have stayed there over the past 8 years..
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:30 am

I never emailed anyone on here but I did post
The only 5 star properties on Maui would be the Four Seasons and possibly the Ritz.
The grand at best is a 4.5* no matter what any travel agency says.
The Marriott is very well rated and reviewed on tripadvisor.
I'm sure no one is fretting over a tube tv though lol
W A is trying to bring the GE up to 5 star with changes such as MANDATORY valet parking no self parking available etc
Oh and wanting to take out the wedding chapel area to add in approx 250 more rooms yikes!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:00 am

Actually, you're wrong about that. It's a huge turn off to see outdated tv's. I want *more* than I have at home, not less. I immediately look to see what else needs to be updated at the property, and it makes me more critical in general. I'm sure this hotel offers value for the money and many people will be happy with the stay. I'd want the eyesore removed. It's tired and I want a room that's refreshed. It's all about the feel of the place. Doesn't need to be 5*, just current.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:18 pm
Suspended

I never emailed anyone on here but I did post
The only 5 star properties on Maui would be the Four Seasons and possibly the Ritz.
The grand at best is a 4.5* no matter what any travel agency says.
The Marriott is very well rated and reviewed on tripadvisor.
W A is trying to bring the GE up to 5 star with changes such as MANDATORY valet parking no self parking available etc
Oh and wanting to take out the wedding chapel area to add in approx 250 more rooms yikes!
Let's not forget about Fairmont Kea Lani in the mix.. imo.. best location in Wailea, as it overlooks Molokini..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.