Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Can you Hawaii luxury less than $200 / night?

Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat

Can you find a Hawaii luxury hotel for less than $200 / night from December 5th - 15th?

This should include all taxes, resort fees, and account for any points earned or spent.

Here is the analysis I have done

Financial Analysis

I'm currently booked into the Sheraton Waikiki under their 35% off, 5th night free, double points promotion.

I calculate the total cost per night is $201.34/night. Daily rate is $235/night, plus taxes and resort fee = $288.75/night. Each night earns $235*6 points = 1410 points, at $0.03/point the value is $42.30 / night, so total cost per night is $246.45. Include the free fifth night, include resort fees for that night and we come to the $201.34/night.

Don't forget that all SPG property food is at a 46.7% discount. 35% discount, plus 6 points per $ spent at $0.03/point equals an additional 18% off for the 46.7% discount.

It was suggested a significant discount off this rate is available, so let's see it.

Try and compare similar beach front properties and include all costs, include the cost of points used, taxes, resort fees and any other costs. Deduct benefits such as points earned.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
i stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani earlier in April this year, absolutely loved it.. booked lowest room and received a huge suite with a jetted tub on the top floor overlooking waikiki beach

I looked through dates dec 5-15 and you can stay at the Kaiulani for ~$100 a night by using www.getaroom.com . You will still earn Starpoints etc, but u will be saving 50% off of your current $200 a night rate
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
But this Sheraton is not a luxury hotel. If OP expects a "luxury" experience, he/she will be surely disappointed. I am not saying that it wouldn't be value for money especially for SPG PLT member. The closest for luxury experience would be The Royal Hawaiian.

Last edited by holtju2; Aug 18, 2011 at 1:53 am
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jammanxc
you can stay at the Kaiulani for ~$100 a night by using www.getaroom.com
Jammanxc,

Thanks for this reference. We can consider this property. Looks like we will cross the street to get to the beach. Have to see if that's a deal breaker for the wife, with little boy.

BTW, I did an analysis of this property using the 35% off, 5th night free, + double points promotion and the SPG promo looks equal or better.

For the getaroom.com property, the net daily rate works out to $113.36 = $100.82 rate + $27.66 taxes and resort - $15.12 SPG pts earned.

The SPG 35% off comes to $116.21/night = $135 / night + $31.42 tax and resort - $24.30 points earned. This works out to $142.12, though take into account fifth night is free and add resort charges for free night and it is $116.21.

If we eat $89.76 of resort food in 2 weeks, which I think highly likely, than they are exactly equal since promo offers 46.7% off. Any more resort food or expenses and the SPG promo is better.

I will talk to the wife about the Kaulani, though will use the 35% off promo, unless I'm missing something.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
The closest for luxury experience would be The Royal Hawaiian.
Any experience with the Sheraton Waikiki? I hear it is right next door to the Royal Hawaiian.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sthubbar
Any experience with the Sheraton Waikiki? I hear it is right next door to the Royal Hawaiian.
IMHO, it's OK, but it's hardly what I'd consider a luxury hotel.

Personally, I think the only way to get "luxury" in Hawaii for $200 a night is to use an opaque site like Priceline and bid $175 or so and try for places that are normally around $400 a night. taxes and fees would push a $175 bid to over slightly over $200 a night. I don't think there are too many true luxury places you could get for that, though. You might get the Royal Hawaiian or the Westin Moana for those rates via Priceline on those dates, as that's normally a low load-factor week, just preceeding the peek holiday week. There is also a chance you could pick up the JW Marriott in Ko'Olina for those rates that week as well. Those are your only shots at "Luxury" for $200 or so a night. OTOH, if you are OK with the sort of places as the Sheraton Waikiki or the Marriott or Prince or Hyatt Waikiki, you could get them, but I'd consider these places to be a notch (or 2 notches in the case of the Sheraton) below true luxury.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We have stayed at the RH twice in the past 18 months. A lovely bit of tropical seclusion on hectic Waikiki. Yes, correct --it is adjacentto the SW and a Starwood/SPG property as is the Monana Surfrider (Westin) on the other side of the RH. (The Outrigger Waikiki is in-between). So, one can do a room charge at any of the hotel's bars, restaurants, etc. no matter which one you are staying at.

We like the RH because of thier private beach area/umbrellas/lounges reserved for their guests and their pool side cabanas. The SW no longer has an actual beach front as it has eroded away, but a short walk down either way and you can find sand.

RH's guest can use all the SW's pools and other on-site guest only amenties, (big family pool with water slide and adult horizon pool) but not, vice versa.

The RH staff monitor their private beach, pool and cabana area for non-guests pretty consistantly. As does the SW.

Rum Fire bar at the SW is fun and has great views and patio. The SW has a lovely Koi pond patio that overlaps the RH's main front grove, circle drive and entrance. Lovely place to sit and have coffee in the morning.

I would not classify the SW as a luxury hotel, but it's a very nice property. You'll find lots of families with kids there. I think the big pool with the water slide is a draw even with the beach steps away.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davesam12
I would not classify the SW as a luxury hotel, but it's a very nice property. You'll find lots of families with kids there. I think the big pool with the water slide is a draw even with the beach steps away.
Hmm, I guess it might be time to do an analysis of the RH. Though we are a family with kid, so sounds like we'd fit right in at the SW.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Please define what you consider luxury for better assistance. I would hardly call the Princess Kaulani luxury, though an adequate hotel. Getting across the street to the beach is no big deal. At that end of Waikiki, starting with the Moana (kaulani is right across the street), there are no other hotels right on the sand. You have to walk across.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Please define what you consider luxury for better assistance. I would hardly call the Princess Kaulani luxury, though an adequate hotel. Getting across the street to the beach is no big deal. At that end of Waikiki, starting with the Moana (kaulani is right across the street), there are no other hotels right on the sand. You have to walk across.
+1 Yes, beachfront "on the sand" alone may not define "luxury hotel" for all, but it's a start.

Only 3 hotels are right "on the sand", walk from the hotel property onto Waikiki beach/ocean - they are from east to west:

The Westin Moana Surfrider
The Outrigger Waikiki Beach
The Royal Hawaiian

Further to the west and technically not Waikiki proper, but on Mamala Bay are:

The Sheraton Waikiki (beach walk, but no sand in front of hotel)
The Halekulani (small sand/beach front area)
The Outrigger Reef (sand beach front)
The Hilton Hawaiian Village (large beach front on Mamala Bay)

Back to original topic -- it would be difficult to get a rate of less than $200 night at any of these properties without clever use of discounts, points, elite status, etc.

Btw -- many have long considered the Halekulani very luxurious based on its property, rooms, restaurants and guest service. We have never stayed there, because of the small beach area, but it gets high marks from patrons.
The new Trump hotel is right behind the Outrigger Reef, but not "on the sand".
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm sort of in the same boat as OP as we've got a spring break vacation booked to Oahu and leaving Maui..

Usually we stay at Fairmont Hotels.. but there is none on Oahu.. so we've eyed up Aulani, the new Disney Hawaiian Hotel opening up this month.. Got a 5 year old and 1 year old..

Suggestions? or should we rent a condo.. and forget about hotels? We would like space, a view.. and I generally spend $300 to $350 per night.. Condos on Maui $1,750 per week (we stayed in condos on Maui 2003)..
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:19 am

SPG property food question

Don't forget that all SPG property food is at a 46.7% discount. 35% discount, plus 6 points per $ spent at $0.03/point equals an additional 18% off for the 46.7% discount.
Dont mean to thread-jack, but what is this 35% discount you refer to?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duckman
Dont mean to thread-jack, but what is this 35% discount you refer to?
A promotion for all Starwood Hawaii properties:

Enjoy complimentary nights, 35% off and double Starpoints

As a Starwood Preferred Guest, enjoy exclusive special offers when you reserve now. Book now for stays through December 31, 2011 and enjoy:

35% off accomodations
Double Starpoints
Every 5th night complimentary
35% off dining discount
35% off on car rental booked through Avis, see terms & conditions for instructions on how to book.

Book online, or call 866-716-8140 and reference rate plan SPG355N.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I'm sort of in the same boat as OP as we've got a spring break vacation booked to Oahu and leaving Maui..

Usually we stay at Fairmont Hotels.. but there is none on Oahu.. so we've eyed up Aulani, the new Disney Hawaiian Hotel opening up this month.. Got a 5 year old and 1 year old..

Suggestions? or should we rent a condo.. and forget about hotels? We would like space, a view.. and I generally spend $300 to $350 per night.. Condos on Maui $1,750 per week (we stayed in condos on Maui 2003)..
You might look at the Marriott Vacation Villas, which is 2 lagoons over from the Aulani. They have 2/3 bedroom condos that are nicely appointed and have several nice pools for the kids.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A promotion for all Starwood Hawaii properties:

Enjoy complimentary nights, 35% off and double Starpoints

As a Starwood Preferred Guest, enjoy exclusive special offers when you reserve now. Book now for stays through December 31, 2011 and enjoy:

35% off accomodations
Double Starpoints
Every 5th night complimentary
35% off dining discount
35% off on car rental booked through Avis, see terms & conditions for instructions on how to book.

Book online, or call 866-716-8140 and reference rate plan SPG355N.
Originally Posted by Anthemflyer
You might look at the Marriott Vacation Villas, which is 2 lagoons over from the Aulani. They have 2/3 bedroom condos that are nicely appointed and have several nice pools for the kids.
Thanks for the heads up.. Is Starwood.. Mariott? I'll do a quick check..

But sounds like 2/3 bedroom condos would hit the spot with a family of 4.. and we can walk over to the Aulani property and dine with characters (hopefully)?

Edit: I guess not.. what are the best deals generally for Mariott Villas at this property?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.