FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   3 Nights on the Big Island with a 3 Month Old Baby = Need Help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1237155-3-nights-big-island-3-month-old-baby-need-help.html)

jisaac Jul 14, 2011 10:29 pm

3 Nights on the Big Island with a 3 Month Old Baby = Need Help

Hawaii Experts,

My wife and I are returning to Hawaii in late August to celebrate our two-year anniversary (three months late due to the arrival of our daughter). We basically have two weeks in Hawaii and here is what we have on the schedule:

Arrive late Sunday in Maui and meeting family for a week stay at the Ritz. During this week we will do most of the tourist type things and spend time with our family.

Depart following Sunday and head to the Big Island where we will stay for three nights.

Wednesday depart for Kauai for a four night stay at the Grand Hyatt.

I am very excited about visiting the Big Island and especially seeing some lava. We are not especially outdoors-types, but are in reasonable shape and are willing to see how far we can get with our daughter strapped to us. We will arrive to the Big Island in the afternoon (can fly into Kona or Hilo) and I need some help making the most of our time. We will have plenty of down time in Maui and probably Kauai so I don't mind being on the go.

With a baby in tow (and all of the associated paraphernalia) I believe it is best to stay in one hotel as a base (probably full-service).

Can some of you experts advise us where to stay and how to make the most of our time? Any input is much appreciated! And since I am still planning the Kauai leg, any input on what to see and do is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Jisaac

bocastephen Jul 14, 2011 11:35 pm

What is your budget and what types of activities are you looking for?

Hiking on lava is most definitely not recommended with a child strapped to you. An accidental fall on the lava (hard, old lava) would cause a devastating injury and scar the child for life.

You would need to leave the child with someone when you go for the lava trek - check the lava viewing and tour thread for photos and information on an excellent private guide who can take you out to the lava if it's flowing.

jisaac Jul 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 16731183)
What is your budget and what types of activities are you looking for?

Hiking on lava is most definitely not recommended with a child strapped to you. An accidental fall on the lava (hard, old lava) would cause a devastating injury and scar the child for life.

You would need to leave the child with someone when you go for the lava trek - check the lava viewing and tour thread for photos and information on an excellent private guide who can take you out to the lava if it's flowing.

Thanks for the reply. In this case, leaving the little one behind is not going to be an option. But I appreciate the advice. From what I have been told, there are a few treks that are stroller or kid friendly. I figure, if a small child can walk it, we could probably do it with a baby strapped to our back. I would love to see some night-time lava if possible and I am not opposed to tours/guided walks.

To be honest there is not truly a "budget" per say. If it will make good use of the three days and not too over the top, it will be worth considering. Since spa and relaxing time will be in Maui and Kauai, I guess this leg will be more for site seeing. Waterfalls, volcanoes, and great views. We will rent a car (am thinking Jeep but keep the top on) so I am very open to driving where necessary. But this whole trip has come together last minute so we are filling in the blanks now.

If we have to stay in the same place, do you have a recommended "base" area from which we should be able to get around well?

Thanks,

Jisaac

bocastephen Jul 15, 2011 12:12 am

There aren't any kid-friendly treks or trails that would result in seeing any lava except the remote possibility of nighttime glow from a distance if you go to the Kalapana viewing area and stay near your car.

I would probably suggest staying in the Waikoloa area, as you are not too far from Kona, have easy access to Hilo and the Volcano area via Saddle Rd, and can go north as well.

jisaac Jul 15, 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 16731270)
There aren't any kid-friendly treks or trails that would result in seeing any lava except the remote possibility of nighttime glow from a distance if you go to the Kalapana viewing area and stay near your car.

I would probably suggest staying in the Waikoloa area, as you are not too far from Kona, have easy access to Hilo and the Volcano area via Saddle Rd, and can go north as well.

Interesting, that does seem contrary to what I have heard/read elsewhere but perhaps the "seeing lava" part is the issue. Aside from seeing the lava, do you have other recommendations?

bocastephen Jul 15, 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jisaac (Post 16732394)
Interesting, that does seem contrary to what I have heard/read elsewhere but perhaps the "seeing lava" part is the issue. Aside from seeing the lava, do you have other recommendations?

It totally depends on where the lava is flowing - for a long time, no lava has flown inside the national park, only in the fields around Kalapana. The only way to see that lava is during the authorized evening viewing hours from the viewing area, or by taking a guided tour with someone who has the right to enter Kalapana, and those tours leave in the middle of the night.

Lava flows change daily, even by the hour - so once you're on the island, you can research where it's flowing - but never go hiking over lava with a child strapped to you. A fall on hardened lava is just like falling on a pile of broken glass - the injuries are extensive, and often horrific.

There are paved trails or decent unpaved pathways to most of the scenic spots on the Big Island - waterfalls, vistas, beaches, petroglyphs, etc.

sylvia hennesy Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

No easy flowing lava viewing right now (even from a helicopter); and having been on the trail near Kalapana that leads to the viewing area(s), I would NEVER risk hiking over it with a child. It will be in the dark, on possible unstable ground, and a fall would be horrible.

jisaac Jul 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, it looks like I need to fill my hopes for this trip with something else. Still definitely open to suggestions for places to visit and things to see.

I found some nice condos for rent at Waikoloa, so we may make that our base during this trip - it seems semi-central. Has anyone stayed at the Aston Waikoloa condo/rentals?

Also, I usually get upgraded to a Towncar or similar when I rent from Avis. Should I shoot for an SUV or perhaps a four-door wrangler?

sonofzeus Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Whatever you decide to do, keep the munchkin hatted and slathered in SPF 50. She'll thank you when she's 40. @:-)

jisaac Jul 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 16736055)
Whatever you decide to do, keep the munchkin hatted and slathered in SPF 50. She'll thank you when she's 40. @:-)

We live in Florida and have already begun with the baby 100 SPF. Gotta protect that cute face.

cblaisd Jul 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 16732737)
...never go hiking over lava with a child strapped to you. A fall on hardened lava is just like falling on a pile of broken glass - the injuries are extensive, and often horrific.

This is worth being in RED LETTERS.

The lava that boca describes is called a`a lava, and it is indeed like shards of glass. There is also pahoehoe lava which is also difficult to walk on and while not razor-sharp, can make for terrible falls. Moreover, even if you fall and baby is okay, what if you break an ankle? Or worse.

So much is possible to do on the Big Island that doesn't involve this kind of risk to a wee one.

sylvia hennesy Jul 16, 2011 9:03 pm

The Aston property is the Colony Villas (also managed by other companies, in addition to VRBO); quite nice, pretty much like the other condo properties in Waikoloa. Waikoloa Beach REsort is a very good base for seeing the rest of the island, puts you nearer some very fine beaches (Mauna Kea, Hapuna, etc.), and there's a grocery, fast food court, and shopping at the entrance to the resort complex. A-Bay is pretty nice for snorkeling and swimming, too, if you don't feel like exploring (free public beach parking between the Queen's Mall and the Marriott, complete with facilities). A good choice!
p.s. the jury is out on the efficacy of 30, 50, or even 100 SPF sunscreen, esp. combined with water exposure; best bet is to protect your kids by having them wear light tee-shirts, even (especially) in the water, and hats (in addition to screen).
Don't miss Akaka Falls north of HIlo, and walking through Thurston Lava Tube (steep stairs down, piece of cake back out) at Volcano National Park is fun. There's also a free zoo in Hilo with a white tiger (refugee from Vegas) in his own nice green enclosure; the grounds are really pretty, and they have primates and exotic birds in outdoor cages, too.

sylvia hennesy Jul 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Also, even though the lava flow isn't a glowing red river, the vent up at Volcano NP is amazing to see; a giant crater within a crater, blowing steam, is quite the sight!

sylvia hennesy Jul 16, 2011 9:08 pm

You absolutely don't need anything more than a basic car. You might need 4W for going up Mauna Kea, or part way down to the green sand beach at South Point, but if you have rugrat in tow, a sedan is all that's required.

jisaac Jul 17, 2011 5:13 am

Sylvia, thank you so much for the advice and information. We would be very interested in the waterfall - esp Mrs. Jisaac ever since seeing Couples Retreat. Nevertheless, we have four days on the Big Island to enjoy.

Do you have recommendations for a good black sand beach? That is also on my wife's to-see list.