FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Travel time from JW Marriott Ihilani to HNL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1230131-travel-time-jw-marriott-ihilani-hnl.html)

Ilovefairmont Jun 25, 2011 10:17 am

Travel time from JW Marriott Ihilani to HNL

Hello,
I'll be staying at the JW Marriott Ihilani this tuesday for a night and need to catch my flight to the big island the next morning at 10:50 AM. According to google maps it should take ~ 25 mins to drive. I'm just wondering if anybody knows how the traffic is like in that direction at that time of day, and how many hours I need to be at the airport in advance for inter-island flights.
Thanks!

delayflight Jun 25, 2011 12:49 pm

About 30 minutes by car

Aloha,

It's a straight shot on the H-1 Freeway. There is traffic in the morning starting around Waipahu, but that should die down by 8 AM. If you leave after 8 AM, there should be plenty time for your flight.

Tony10s Jun 25, 2011 12:53 pm

I would leave the JW by 8:30am
Traffic ewa side towards town can be heavy, plus returning the car and checking in adds in time
Are you flying Hawaiian or the dreaded GO?
If it's Hawaiian , use the porter service for checkin/ luggage or the lobby kiosks for the same.) lines can be long)

If Hawaiian you will go out of the InterIsland terminal
With GO most likely out of the Commuter terminal
I/I terminal modern
C terminal very basic/old

1st Cav Vet Jun 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Have your sunglasses handy...you may be in heavy traffic and staring into sun.

Ilovefairmont Jun 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for your responses, FTers are the greatest^ I'm flying hawaiian because of all the terrible things I've read about the other airlines. I think I can actually check in online so I won't have to deal with that at the airport. Thanks people!

stravels Jun 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Watch the local news or listen to the radio. Both provide traffic updates every ten minutes or so. You should be okay as most folks need to be at work by 8 or 9 am, but if there is an accident, it is raining, etc. all bets are off. Enjoy your time here!

slippahs Jun 27, 2011 12:58 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by stravels
Watch the local news or listen to the radio. Both provide traffic updates every ten minutes or so. You should be okay as most folks need to be at work by 8 or 9 am, but if there is an accident, it is raining, etc. all bets are off. Enjoy your time here!

Watching the news is a good tip, as any station has frequent traffic updates. Krater 96.3 also has traffic updates every 10 minutes.

But not sure how much traffic updates would help, since there aren't really many alternate routes you could take to the airport unless you take Kamehameha Highway.

If you don't need to check bags, you'd be okay getting to security with about 30 minutes (after returning the car). Rarely heavy security in the morning after 8.

Ilovefairmont Jun 27, 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by stravels (Post 16630839)

All bets are off...yikes! I'll leave the hotel at 7:30 AM, that will give me an 1.5 hours to get there by 9 which would be more than enough time to catch the flight (10:48 AM). Could the drive possibly take longer than 1.5 hours even if there is traffic??

Anthemflyer Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ilovefairmont (Post 16631599)
All bets are off...yikes! I'll leave the hotel at 7:30 AM, that will give me an 1.5 hours to get there by 9 which would be more than enough time to catch the flight (10:48 AM). Could the drive possibly take longer than 1.5 hours even if there is traffic??

Not likely. You could ditch your car on the H1 and walk it in an hour and a half! If you miss the flight, just get on the next one. They have one leaving every half hour or so.

Actually, if you leave earlier, you'll run into heavier tracffic. You'll be right in the middle of the commuters. If you check in online and print your boarding pass, you'll just cruise through security.

No worries. I live in Ko'Olina and usually give my self 30-45 minutes to get to the airport and I've yet to miss a flight. I fly 3 out of every 4 weeks.